Just startin’ out

Hearing Again

Hello, my name is Chris Arnone. 24 years ago, almost this very day, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  13 brain surgeries later, three years in hospitals and rehab, I was able to get back to my life, albeit a WHOLE LOT DIFFERENT. Double vision, balance and memory problems, but still good hearing...then, little by little, I would lose my hearing in either ear, but it would come back partially. Until one time, my left ear never heard again. Fast forward, 23 years after resuming my career as a lawer, which I was for only three days before being diagnosed with the tumor, I had to retire at only 49, for my hearing problems and many other health problems I have. Only three months ago, had my Sonnet and Rondo implanted, activated two months ago.

Long and short of it, I’m a newbie and am beyond overwhelmed by all of this. I have so many questions and worries...any advise or thoughts, as many as possible, is what I need right now. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Hearing Again

I’m sorry to read of your health problems Chris.  I am glad your CI journey has begun.

which part of the NE US are you from?  I am in the NE corner of NY state.

Thank you Mary Beth. I am from the Scranton area, in Mt. Cobb PA. I AM OVERWHELMED learning how to use this processor and all the gadgets only to get a post card yesterday they are sending a Rondo 2. So, a lot of what I figured out was for nothing. Ahhh. But I have to say, the Rondo 2 sounds incredible 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hearing Again

It can be overwhelming at first.  Hang in there.  Everything you figured out will still be needed when you use your processors that you already have.  The Rondo 2 is another processor and it is very very easy to use with only an on/off button.  No need for dry kit.  Charges overnight on the Qi charging pad.  You may find you prefer the ease of the Rondo 2.  When you receive it, it will not be programmed yet so you will need to bring it to an appt with your audiologist.  Hopefully your audiologist can guide you through it.

Med-El INTERNATIONAL website (not US website) has a new awesome section for support for all of our processors.  Lots of pictures and videos.

https://www.medel.com/support/rondo2/handling-and-basics/du_rondo2_handling_overview

We are all happy to answer any questions you may have too.  Just list your questions and people will reply.

If you are looking for guidance on how to rehab listening with a CI, check out our rehab topic.  There are great suggestions there.

Did a whole days research on the rondo 2 and it sounds great. My postcard said mine is being delivered directly to my doctor. Don’t know when, but hoping by next week as I have a mapping appoint with her next week.  And thanks for the sites recommendations. I have been spending all my time alone, and all my time at home with my hearing aid out, just using my cochlear. Play music in the car that I know the words to without my hearing aid in so the brain can put two and two together. Same with CC in tv. Found a site with audiobooks that show you the words while it reads them to you. I’ve also found a couple games Re vowels, hearing orders at a drive through and a car racing game where you car only moves forward if you click on the right words that it says. 

I am thank you. Today, I was in the Courtroom for the first time in almost a year. I heard almost everything the Judge said without saying “huh” or walking right up to the Judge’s Bench to hear. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Got my new Rondo 2 a few hours ago. It is miraculous!  But, my Audi  told me it doesn’t have a telecoil like the Rondo does. Can only stream through a neck loop, which isn’t that big of a deal as I already used one to steam phone and TV into my 40% ear for years. Otherwise, I love it. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hearing Again

Congratulations on receiving your Rondo 2!

Rondo 2 does have telecoil and that is why it works with neckloops when we switch to MT or T setting.

The Sonnet has an option to use an integrated Roger receiver in the battery door called Roger 21 receiver which picks up the signal from a Roger transmitter (Roger Select, Roger Pen....).

In order to use a Roger transmitter with Rondo 2, most people opt for a Roger receiver neckloop (called Roger MyLink) and switch to MT or T setting.

Have you been using the Roger 21 receiver with a Roger transmitter with your Sonnet?

The lowest price I have seen for Roger MyLink neckloop receivers have been on Connevans online in the UK but ships internationally and for resale on eBay.  Be careful to order a ROGER MyLink as Phonak also has an older neckloop receiver called MyLink and it will not work with a Roger transmitter.

Hello again. And thank you so much for writing back. Ahhh, overwhelmed again!

So there is a telecoil, and you can use that to talk on the phone just like I did with my original Rondo, using the M, MT, or T buttons on my fine tuner?

She also told me I could no longer rotate through the 4 Chanels with the buttons on the fine tuner. Is that no longer an option? Do the two sensitivity buttons still active?

I do have a roger pen which I never used yet but it was linked to my phone as the words “roger penn” show in the Bluetooth selections on my phone. So what does that do? I don’t get that connection.  I though the pen is something that streams sound from the pen (or other roger devices), directly to my processor, but that was only for my old one?  I did plan on getting a new neck loop anyway, and I will be able to use roger devies through that, as long as I get the right loop?

The only loop systems I have seen on Med-els websites is the Artone 3 max neckloop. I have seen anything about a Roger Mylink.  Do you know the difference and if one is better than the other?  

And lastly for now, I did not get any instructions for the Rondo2 charging station other that orally from my Audi saying turn the Rondo2 off and place it magnet down in the base that is plugged in   I did that.  Am I supposed to see lights showing me it is charging, or is completed? BThe video I watched on Med-el’s site appears to show a light near the bottom of the front cover on the Rondo2.  There is no such light on mine.

Huh, that’s it for now as my head is spinning (spent 3 hours traveling to get to my Audi, over two hours there, an hour (at least it was at a nice restaurant) waiting for the traffic to subside, and three hours back home.  I can’t thank you enough for all the help you are giving me  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hearing Again

Hopefully others with Rondo 2s will jump in.

Med-El’s website (international version) for Rondo 2 support is full of how to....for the Rondo 2 with videos too.  Check it out for lots of info.

The Rondo 2 is placed on the charging mat with the magnet side up I believe.  Is this correct @Mary Featherston?

The Fine Tuner works with all processors.  We just need to sync the processors to the Fine Tuner.  Turn processor off.  Place it on top on the lower middle section of the Fine Tuner.  Turn processor on.  You will see the Fine Tuner lights blink.  I do this all the time when switching between my Sonnets, Rondos and OPUS 2.  

The Rondo 2 is more similar to than different from other processors.  We use the same Fine Tuner and can control the same things.  M, MT, T...program slots 1-4.....volume.....sensitivity.

It depends if your audiologist loaded more than 1 program for you.  If she only loaded one program, then you can not change to other programs.

Telecoil uses induction transmission of sound.  Roger uses 2.4 connectivity.  They function differently so if you plan on using your Roger Pen, you will need a ROGER MyLink neckloop.  That neckloop ONLY works with Roger transmitters. Med-El does not sell Roger items to us.  

Telecoil neckloops often have BT connectivity to any BT device.  My favorite is the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.

Enjoy your Rondo 2.

I have looked at many of the videos and must review them again and look for others. They ARE extremely helpful. And yes, the Rondo2 DOES go magnet side down. My concern is I do not see any lights like other object that show different color lights through the charging process, like the Rondo2 is charging or is complete. I guess I will find out today if it charged when I wear it for the day. Thank you again. I bet you are a terrific teacher. 

For others to jump in on this topic, is it better that I put something about this is the “Rondo 2” Topic section (at I think there is one or them). 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Hearing Again - and @Mary Beth!  Yes, the Rondo2 goes on the charging mat upside down, you want the magnet (with the Med-El label) facing up.  You'll see an amber light when it's charging.  As for the Fine Tuner - it is used with Rondo2 but I suspect that what your audiologist means is that the programs are more limited than with a Sonnet.  I don't have any programs on my Rondo2 at all at this poing (but I have an audiologist appointment next week) because there's just one microphone.  With my Sonnets I have #1, Omni, #2, Adaptive, #3 Natural.  The 4th slot is taken with an extra volume program for my left processor because I'm still rehabbing it and like to be able to use it alone.

But none of that's available with a single mic. 

Thank you for your input Mary. Good to “hear” from you. (Pun intended, LOL). 

So does the Sonnet 2 only have one microphone  making all those channels and sensitivity buttons moot?  But the sonnet 2 still has a telecoil right?

Edited by Hearing Again
  • Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Some people have programs for different situations stored in different slots (one for everyday, one for noise, one for music) on Rondo 2/ Rondo 1/ OPUS 2.  Even though all use omni mic.

I just stay in one program for everything.  That works best for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hearing Again

Yes if you start a new thread in the Rondo 2 section, more Rondo 2 users will see it.

Thanks for your kind words.

• HearPeers Heroes
2 hours ago, Hearing Again said:

Thank you for your input Mary. Good to “hear” from you. (Pun intended, LOL). 

So does the Sonnet 2 only have one microphone  making all those channels and sensitivity buttons moot?  But the sonnet 2 still has a telecoil right?

I don't think there is a Sonnet 2.  Sonnet has two microphones, which makes the different programs possible.  Did you mean Rondo 2?  If so, yes, the single mic means that the directional programs aren't possible.  I'm pretty sure it still has a telecoil though I haven't actually tried it yet - I've only had mine for a bit under a month.

As if I’m not too overwhelmed right now with figuring out what gadgets work with the Rondo 2 and what doesn’t, I went and bought a Artone 3 Max. Only $124 with free shipping on Amazon. I figured it would be alot more than that. 

• HearPeers Heroes
14 hours ago, Hearing Again said:

As if I’m not too overwhelmed right now with figuring out what gadgets work with the Rondo 2 and what doesn’t, I went and bought a Artone 3 Max. Only $124 with free shipping on Amazon. I figured it would be alot more than that. 

It's a great deal.  I bet you'll like it!

Thank you Mary. Can’t wait to get it. And turning to Rondo upside down on the charging pad did the trick. I was just so anxious to charge it and use it again the next day, I figured, hmmm, must be magnet side to magnet side. Then, reading your post, voila. Thanks. 

• Like 1