Rondo 2 and Roger Pen

mshaley2

33 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Melissa

Both Sonnet 2 and Rondo 2 can use Roger systems.

Our preferred teacher mic in school is the Roger Touchscreen Mic.  But some people use Roger Pen or Roger Select.  

Whichever Roger transmitter you use, it must send the audio to a Roger receiver.

For Sonnet and Sonnet 2, the most convenient Roger receiver is the Roger 21 integrated battery cover receiver.  Sonnet and Sonnet 2 stay on M settings.  Bilateral Sonnet users will need 2.  One for each side.  Sonnet and Sonnet 2 can also use other Roger receivers but Roger 21 is most convenient.  

For Rondo and Rondo 2, the most convenient Roger receiver is the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver.  Rondo and Rondo 2 must be in MT setting to hear both the teacher and students/self.  Rondo and Rondo 2 can also use another Roger receiver but Roger MyLink is most convenient.  Sometimes processors on MT pick up electromagnetic interference (EMI).  It sounds like buzzing.  It is important to make sure there is no EMI in the classrooms where the Roger MyLink will be used.  It is worn around the neck so only one is needed.

Does this help?  What grade are we talking about?

Thanks for the reply.

He is in 4th grade. I did read about the integrated Roger battery covers, which seem the simplest option. School uses the Roger Inspiro. Initially, he would be bi-modal, with a hearing aid in his right ear (the aid has an integrated Roger receiver.) So it seems with Sonnet 2, the teacher could wear the Inspiro and link it to both the CI and the hearing aid. I assume the M setting is microphone where only the wearer's voice comes through?

Also, is there a difference between Sonnet and Sonnet 2 in terms of remote mic settings? 

My son has just become a candidate for implants. He has a mixed loss and has worn hearing aids with great success since 3 months of age. The past 6 months, though, his speech recognition scores have declined. We are researching options, and deciding between Med EL and Cochlear.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

Yes Roger Inspiro (we still have several students using that transmitter) will send to both Roger receivers (the integrated one in his HA and the Roger 21 integrated Sonnet 2 battery cover).  Each gets paired separately to the Inspiro and then the Inspiro will send to both.

The Inspiro allows users to set a specific CI setting to match the CI processor.  Basically this compensated for the impedance of the CI processor and ensures the Roger volume is loud enough.

But you need to be careful because the same Roger is also sending to his HA.  This is something to discuss with his CI audiologist to ensure the Roger volume is the correct volume for both the HA and CI.

Students with proprietary remote mics (like mini mic 2+) did not hear well in our classrooms.  We had to return to using the Roger System with them.  The difference was immediate.  I think Phonak has published a paper comparing proprietary remote mics to their Roger System.  Classrooms are noisy and Roger adapts to noise while these other remote mics remain fixed.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.  We are a friendly bunch.

@Mary Beth

I have heard the same thing about the mini mic, that the Roger is infinitely better.

Have you had experience with Med-EL's Audiolink? I understand this is Med-EL's answer to the Roger system, so that Med-EL doesn't have to rely on it's competitor. I am wondering how Sonnet 2 and Audiolink do in the classroom?

I am also trying to find someone who is bimodal and in school

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

I have the AudioLink with my Sonnet 1 processors.  The Roger System is better in school in my opinion.

Even more so for bimodal users.

You will want to deliver sound to both the CI processor and the hearing aid correct?  AudioLink can not do that.  Roger can.

Med-El offers the Roger 21 integrated Roger receiver.  Roger is by far the most common system used in schools.  One Roger teacher mic can deliver audio to many students with various hearing aids and cochlear implant processors in the same classroom.  

Roger also uses an adaptive mic instead of a fixed mic.  Fixed mics (like all these various proprietary remote mics) boost the teacher voice a set amount no matter what the noise level in the room is at the moment.  Roger’s adaptive mics adjust based on the noise level in the room.

Roger is my choice for educational settings.  We use it successfully with many students with hearing aids and with cochlear implants.

It will be very important that your audiologist can adjust the volume of the Roger input so it is appropriate for both the CI and the HA side.

An easier, but less effective, way to do that  is to use the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver and put both the HA and CI processor on MT.

I think we do have an adult here who is bimodal and uses Roger.  Let me see if I can tag him.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

I can not recall who it is so I started a new topic to try to find bimodal Roger users for you.

I wonder if Med EL will be improving the use of Rondo 2 with Roger system? One thing I like about the Kanso is that it can be used with the Roger system by plugging the receiver into the mini mic 2 (no extra wire from the head or neck loop needed). I wonder why Med El couldn't do something similar with Audiolink?  Any thoughts on this, @Mary Beth?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

I understand your point.  I do not know what future plans Med-El has for the Rondo line.

I can share my experiences using the Roger plugged into the mini mic 2+ in schools as a Teacher of the Deaf.  The mini mic 2+ creates many more problems than we are used to.  

I guess it is to be expected because the audio is going through more steps.  Instead of going straight from the mic to the receiver to processor, it is going mic to receiver to mini mic 2+ to processor.  We have much more troubleshooting to do with that set up.

I always wonder if the adaptive mic tech in the Roger System is completely intact when we couple it to a fixed mini mic 2+.  

But most definitely our students with Cochlear hear much better using Roger than just using the mini mic 2+ in class.

43 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Melissa

I understand your point.  I do not know what future plans Med-El has for the Rondo line.

I can share my experiences using the Roger plugged into the mini mic 2+ in schools as a Teacher of the Deaf.  The mini mic 2+ creates many more problems than we are used to.  

I guess it is to be expected because the audio is going through more steps.  Instead of going straight from the mic to the receiver to processor, it is going mic to receiver to mini mic 2+ to processor.  We have much more troubleshooting to do with that set up.

I always wonder if the adaptive mic tech in the Roger System is completely intact when we couple it to a fixed mini mic 2+.  

But most definitely our students with Cochlear hear much better using Roger than just using the mini mic 2+ in class.

You are so helpful, I want you to know I appreciate every answer!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

I am glad my posts have been helpful.  Feel free to ask more questions.

@ Mary Beth, as a teacher, do you notice a difference between med-el and cochlear users in terms of speech/sound perception?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

I know choosing brands is a tough decision.  I chose Med-El due to their electrode arrays and have been thrilled with the hearing I have with my bilateral CIs.  Music is utterly amazing. Med-El has great customer service.  I am a very happy Med-El CI user.

How a child performs with a CI is dependent on many factors.