Holidays, large family gatherings and early CI journeys

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

As we get ready to spend our holiday week with our wonderful extended family, I find myself thinking about the first family gatherings post CI and post bilateral CI.

I was so tired!  The listening demands were challenging and went on for hours and hours.  😊 

My friend @Joan encouraged me and promised that the following year it would be so much easier!  And she was right!

For all of our HPs members who are early in their CI or bilateral CI journeys, hang in there.  Take breaks.  Be kind to yourself.  And trust that next year, it will be so much easier.

Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday season and a fantastic 2019!

• HearPeers Heroes

Wishing you the same @Mary Beth !!!

I remember my first Thanksgiving and Christmas with my new CI - I was so overwhelmed with all the sounds especially in the kitchen on top of all the happy chatter going on. It actually made me panic a little and I had to find a quiet space to “recover.” I never experienced that feeling ever again at any large party gathering but it was important to work through. So to our recently activated members- definitely hang in there! It will be even better next year!

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Getting through my last 'quiet' Christmas before surgery. At lunch I could only hear a few people closeby, and only on my left side. My poor Dad was largely ignored on my right. But I really enjoyed my daughter playing Christmas carols on the piano (she's 7 y/o), which I could hear quite well. I even played a few myself, which I have been uninspired to do lately, but the joy on her face was motivating for me too!  And I am thankful for the looks on my children's faces (and my husband!) when they opened their presents - don't need hearing for that!!

I look forward to next year's experience post-op! I should be many months into rehab by then.

I hope everyone here is having/has had a lovely Christmas/Solstice/other appropriate holiday.

• HearPeers Heroes

We don't have a large gathering - my husband and brother and I go to Dad's assisted living facility - Dad is fairly deep into Alzheimer's.  But I noticed that I was able to hear and understand much of what was said by the TV football announcers (not my choice of listening, but I'll take understanding where I find it).  And when we drove home and my husband turned on the car radio I found that I could understand much of that too.

This is a great improvement - I haven't heard TV or radio well since my second CI activation.

• Like 2