Learning to listen on the phone

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - mostly due to not having a choice.  🙂  There are a couple of meetings each week that I'm in that have people calling in from other locations and I just listen to the speakerphone and it's been slowly getting better.

@Mary Beth @Mary Featherston By giving everyone my cell number and using Roger Pen Bluetooth has greatly reduced my difficulty with hearing on the phone I do know it’s difficult in the business world to get people to cooperate in getting to call on different phone numbers.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

First I dialed the number to get the date and time, then I think I used Telephone with Confidence. Then family and friends started to force me to practise on the phone by calling me instead of texting me! We didn't follow a script. Hearing on the phone didn't require much practice for me. I just found that I was able to make out what was being said on the other end and that just built up my confidence. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I've only been listening on speakerphone so far.  Yesterday I asked my new manager if I was getting an office or a cube, because up till now all my phone calls are close-the-door and use the speakerphone.  But I told him if it's a cube I could use my neckloop and cell phone.

It's an office.  🙂

• Like 2

Hard to believe the day came but I went out and bought a cell phone. Find the quality a lot better than the older landline. I have been using the Artone neck loop but actually don’t find it that bad just using the speaker in a quiet setting. Telecoil seems a pain compared to the Artone. Haven’t tried the Roger pen yet but will give it a try. Been using Telephone with Confidence a lot.

I actually never thought the day would come that I could hear on the phone. It’s probably 35 years or so since I lost that ability😀 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @Hicksywhich phone did you get? A friend was using the speakerphone on his Galaxy S10 and I could hear it from over 1 foot away!

I have found that just holding my own cellphone to my processor's mics makes me hear what's being said loud and clear. I don't use Telecoil to hear from the phone. I should add that I made sure to buy a very loud phone. I have a S9 plus. The S10 is much louder than my phone! 

Yes I have the S10. I also find holding the phone up to the processor is great in a quiet situation but also putting it on speaker. Tried the Roger pen but prefer the Artone neckloop as I can cut out all ambient sound via telecoil setting.

Having fun with this but only talked to close family so far but it does open up a world of possibilities.

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations on your new upcoming office @Mary Featherston

@Hicksy, that is terrific!  Yay!  Yes the Artone neckloop works much better for phone calls than the Roger System and is so much smaller and easier to use.  Going on T cuts out all environmental noise but may make your own voice sound muted.

I am so happy that people are experimenting with their CIs on the phone.  We know how many unpleasant phone experiences we have all had in the past.  

Keep sharing phone strategies.