Info you wished your audiologist handed you at activation

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

What kind of info on aural rehab or types of aural rehab practice sheets do you wish your audiologist handed you at activation?  I am considering making a booklet to be handed out at adult activations.  Just a free booklet to help adults get started.

What do you think I should include?  What would’ve helped you?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I got no instructions from my audi upon activation other than to read out to myself aloud everyday for an hour. 

It was I who asked her about rehab apps that she would recommend. She then proceeded to list about 4.

I wish I had gotten sheets indicating the various rehab apps or exercises I should try as my CI journey progresses. 

Also probably explaining how to make the rehab fun. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Vera

The speech pathologist gave you some printed sheets of exercises to practice with Nigel.  Did you find them helpful?  Will you describe the exercises that were on your sheets?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

She recommended ABCLIX, iAngelSounds, and Listening Room. Can't recall if she recommended a fourth one. 

Hello @Mary Beth

Yes, the material from the hospital was very helpful in the first few weeks.  After that I enjoyed using AngelSounds, as well as putting myself in lots of everyday listening situations (especially in noise).

The hospital material started with passages for Nigel to read out, for listening practice.  On the film you can see them asking me to say what the last word was the person had spoken, but I found that very easy straight away so didn't do much of that.  

Then there was sentence building, where the partner starts with a phrase then add bits to it.  So....he's late....he's late again.....he's going to be late again......etc and you try to understand without lip reading.  Another variant was a series of sentences linked to a particular scenario, so sentences you might hear in a Post Office.

Then there were exercises designed to highlight a particular consonant sound, so... for the f sound......is it...that's a life.....or....that's a lie?  Is it.......that's a small calf....or....that's a small card.

I have quite a thick folder of these exercises.  I've been very lucky that my Cochlear Implant Centre, in Bradford UK, is such a good one and the follow up is excellent.  I didn't realise until I started connecting with people in other places that this isn't universal.  i know Med-El has some material online that is similar.  Perhaps it would be helpful if they produced more???

Vera

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Vera

Your center offers great aural rehab support.  In the US, there is almost no aural rehab support for adults....even at large CI centers.  Our early intervention, preschool and school age services cover the children very well usually.  But adults are left to figure out their aural rehab mostly on their own.

That’s why I am thinking of making a free booklet for adults.  I think it could be helpful. 

If you think of any other types of exercise sheets you and Nigel found helpful, please let me know.

Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

Asking for help.......

I really would love to hear what you all think would’ve been helpful to have received from your audiologist about aural rehab at activation.  Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

I am at a disadvantage here because as a TOD I live aural rehab everyday with my students.  I would love to know what would be helpful to someone brand new to aural rehab.

I want the booklet to be very helpful to people who are new to aural rehab and finding themselves needing to do aural rehab independently.

Thanks for your help with this.  I will gladly share it when it is completed.

A free booklet would be a great idea.

Actually, I think the best advice I had was to leave the car radio on all the time when I was driving.  It just became a habit and, bit by bit and VERY slowly, I understood more and more.  I’m more comfortable in noise than a lot of other CI users I meet and I put it down to my “car work”.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Listening to the car radio is great noise practice indeed!  Smile.

Do you use Natural mic setting for your main program?  Most people do, but I prefer omni.

Do you switch into an adaptive mic setting in noise?  I switch sometimes.  Adaptive is good in noise.

I think I saw a Roger System in one of your videos.  Do you use it with your Sonnet?  If so, when do you find it helpful?

@Vera

I leave mine just on one main setting.  I’m not even sure what it’s name is.  One of the joys of the implant, for me, is not having to switch settings, use loop systems etc.  I just put it on and leave it on.

i had a Roger pen from before the implant.  I always used it then when I was a passenger in the car and, towards the end, at most talks I went to.  Now I just use it in the car when I’m driving (in the past even the Roger pen wasn’t good enough for that situation......if I had a passenger we just didn’t talk).

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Vera

It is so amazing how the CI changes our lives in so many wonderful ways!  Just awesome tech.

Put it on and go about the day hearing so well.  Wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...

Mary  Beth,

I am fortunate in that when my CI was activated (May 2015) I understood much of the audio from the start.  I did  and still do have the same type of problems understanding in noise and differentiating similar words.  I received no rehab information other than being referred to Angel Sounds...  No printable material.  Went looking on the web for word lists and found Word Frequency Data https://www.wordfrequency.info/intro.asp which allowed me to put together a list of the top used words.  My wife would then say them with her mouth covered and I repeated them.

I have returned several times to this site for more rehab data.  

'This site contains what is probably the most accurate word frequency data for English.'  The amount of data can be overwhelming if you do not filter it down to a reasonable subset.  There are several free lists but each user needs to download the information themselves.  The downloads can not be redistributed.

Several free lists: https://www.wordfrequency.info/free.asp

Ebook (pdf) example that can be purchased: https://www.wordfrequency.info/files/entries.pdf

https://www.ngrams.info/download_coca.asp

• HearPeers Heroes

@treesrd1896

Have you explored our REHAB topic lately?  There are many great suggestions for apps, websites, etc.  Almost all of the suggestions are for training that is free.

My preferred training app for similar sounding words is CLIX.  It works on iPads.  Search the App Store for Advanced Bionics and it will show up.  There are 9 levels based on the Listening Ladder.  There are 4 activities for each level.  You can begin by taking a test and then train from there but I always recommend just starting at level 1 and working through all 9 levels.  I have gone through that app many times.....after initial activation of each side, after new MAPs, etc.  It is very helpful and completely free for anyone.

Wishing you the best!