Need information for Surgery Implant

Nagaraju

Thank you @Cara Mia and @Mary Beth for your wonderful responses.  My CI Implantation is done and I am in a recovery week, seems pretty good as of now except some bizarre taste issues and clicking sound and ringing in ear. Sometimes this ringing in ear is causing to not to function (not to grasp words properly) in other ear as well might get better coming days.

My Activation is scheduled for next week my audiologist might evaluate the residual earing and might determine the EAS is suited one or not, If the residual hearing is preserved I will choose the EAS one as based on the above suggestions its giving more natural way of hearing.

Also read in the forum the US Recipients will be given a Roundo2 voucher, If so am I eligible to get the Roundo2 voucher, Getting Roundo2 voucher will help me a lot and I can choose to programme Roundo2 to for all frequencies and use Roundo2 whenever needed and based on need.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Nagaraju

Congratulations on your CI.  Rest easy.

Activation is when all the fun begins!  I am looking forward to following your journey.

Med-El runs promotions in different countries at different times.  The Plus Rondo 2 promotion ended in the US when the Rondo 2 was released early December I believe but check with your CI audiologist.  She will know if there are any Med-El promotions that you fall into.

@Mary Beth   @Jewel  @Cara Mia   

Thanks for your posts, all helped.  I am gradually becoming a little empowered, which is needed.  Time limits exist for trialing  the two processors.  I am awaiting confirmation from audi as to  how long.  Because of this if I have residual hearing I'll give priority to Sonnet EAS trial and  Rondo 2 if not.  Rondo  2 was  my preference before EAS

Cara Mia, when you say the Rondo 2 processor could be programmed to allow compensation for low frequencies electronically and speed up adjustment time, can you comment on whether sound was affected?  Also, is there a source for looking closer at this programming?  And, stupid question, what does EA stand for?  Thanks.

C T Lex

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 1/14/2019 at 3:17 PM, C T lex said:

Cara Mia, when you say the Rondo 2 processor could be programmed to allow compensation for low frequencies electronically and speed up adjustment time, can you comment on whether sound was affected?  Also, is there a source for looking closer at this programming?  And, stupid question, what does EA stand for?  Thanks.

C T Lex

Hi CT Lex, 

Personally, I have no experience with Rondo. I use only Sonnett in a form of CI (electric stimulation only)and CI EAS (combined electrical and acoustic stimulation). For me, EAS provides deeper, richer sound and easier speech understanding in noise. But with good mapping that compensate correctly for frequencies that were supported by EAS component, it is also possible to hear very well with just elecrtric stimulation regarding sound quality and speech understanding in noise. Without EAS  the sounds are also natural, but a little bit flat. Speech in noise not so crist clear, but still comfortable for understanding.

My point was that it should be differently mapped programs for processors with EAS function and without it as it helps to hear comfortably faster when switching between these two modes.

Rondo or Rondo2 have no buid-in EAS component, so they cannot enhance any residual hearing with Acoustic amplifying. But geting a good adjusted mapping for electric stimulation with one omnidirectional Mic in use  still allows to hear well and comfortably in the different settings.

About programming - I don't know about different approaches to programming for electric and acoustic components. My audi uses a some sort of device to translate my test results for residual hearing into programming parameters. After it done we work on fi ding the comfortable livel of loudness for active electrodes and then, i check a new created programmwe to see if I am comfortable with the result or some adjustment should be done.  I think that programming is a mix a technical process and art. So, your audiologist knoweledge,  intuition,  and a good rapport with you equally contribute in a good hearing regardless what processor you choose because it is a lot about our brain plasticity to shape our cognitive skills in sound processing and our adjustment time in different settings besides the technical side our implants support. It is exiting, but also frustrating because nobody can tell exactly how things will work for you until you try it. But unfortunately, we gave to make some choises when there is no way to get our own practical experience.

C T Lex, sorry for such long monologue and good luck! Med-El processors are so advanced that it is hard to make a wrong choice especially with professional advise of you CI team. Just choose the right color 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Cara Mia

I love your last line....just choose the right color!  Made me LOL.

I agree that MAPping a CI is a science as well as an art.  And having a great working relationship with our audiologists is so important.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Ha, @Cara Mia - choose the right color!  I spent ages choosing the color schemes for my Sonnets and have ended up covering them with Skinits so the colors aren't visible.  In fact I think the next time I have the choice I'll get a black processor.  Basic black goes with everything, yes?  🙂

Hi Cara Mia,

Thanks very much for the information.  Actually my audi mistakenly thought  I could trial Sonnet EAS and Rondo 2 and the two processors were just recently ordered.  It turns out she was mistaken.  One or the other has to be  returned unopened.  Unfortunately I have a choice to make,  either Sonnet or Rondo 2.  You provided wonderful reviews on Sonnet EAS and I've carefully studied them.  It was very late that I was told I'd qualified for EAS.  Before that I'd decided on Rondo 2.  I really love the Rondo fit and battery charging.  I'll have to make a decision after I'm told whether I still have residual hearing.  My surgery is tomorrow at 5:45am eastern time. Good thing I'm a night person, I'll just stay up...

Thanks again,

C T Lex

• HearPeers Heroes

Wishing you the best tomorrow @C T lex!  When you feel up to it, let us know how it went.

Mary Beth,l apologize for not posting sooner..it's been kind of hectic! Lol The activation went fine and l was hearing as soon as it was turned on! Voices sounded like cartoon voices at first,but within the hour that smoothed out to more normal sounds.Im getting used to wearing the sonnet mic and coil, and working on things the audiologist talked to me about to help myself,such as online programs ...I'm so happy,this is a dream come true for me! 

• 2 months later...

Please, advise & input on which of the 3 choices of CIs are needed. We are searching (for husband) but so confused!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bobbi

I wish your husband the very best!

i chose Med-El cochlear implants and my hearing is terrific.  Music sounds wonderful and I have returned to playing the piano.

Feel free to ask any questions.  We are a helpful, friendly group!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bobbi

I tagged you in a few recent conversations about why we chose Med-El CIs.  I hope it helps.

Wishing your husband the best on his journey.