Roger pen vs other Bluetooth compatible devices

JohnL

Hi. This is my first post since I am just starting this journey. I met with my surgeon and, while he didn’t “recommend” a particular manufacturer, he said the Med-El arrays were best suited for potentially saving some residual hearing (he also pointed out that for males over 65 - like me - it is more difficult). So I have been looking at the Sonnet and Rondo 2 processors and I’m concerned about the Roger system because you have to change out the processor on the Sonnet in order to use it. And it’s not clear how it works with the Rondo 2. I’m interested in the best outcome for watching tv, talking on both cell and landline phones, noisy situations-including riding in a car. I’m wondering if it is possible to use other Bluetooth microphones and neck loops with the Sonnet and Rondo 2 (my audiologist said they are a 2 device clinic so I get to choose two processors)?  Any help would be appreciated. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnL

Welcome to HearPeers!  I wish you the best on your hearing journey.

You can use the Roger 21 battery cover ALL of the time on your Sonnet.  Even when your Roger transmitter (Roger Select or Roger Pen) is not in use.

Roger transmitters work with Rondo 2 by using Roger MyLink neckloop receivers and switching the Rondo 2 into MT or T mode via the Fine Tuner remote.

I hear well in the settings you listed (cellphone, landline, in cars, TV, noisy places) by just using my CI processors.  Many of us do not use other tech like Roger in those settings.  Some of us use Roger tech sometimes in those settings.  Some of us use Roger tech always in those settings.  So everyone’s experience is unique.

Two processor CI centers in the US are terrific as we start off with a backup processor. You may choose 2 Sonnets, 2 Rondo 2s or one of each.

I like having both a BTE version and an off the ear version so I would choose one of each.

Thanks. I’m pleasantly surprised to hear you and others just use the CI processors for TV, noisy restaurants and riding in a car. I hope that can work for me. And what do you do for telephones - just put the phone mic over the processor mic?  

I plan on getting a BTE and an OTE - that makes the most sense to me. 

That all said, I still haven’t decided which manufacturer to use - it’s a tough decision especially when the surgeon won’t offer a recommendation but says the Med El implant is best for saving residual hearing, but he may not be able to save it anyway. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnL

I remember clearly how strange it felt to have to choose my CI brand!

I chose Med-El for their electrode array options.

Here is a link to an interview Med-El filmed asking me why I chose Med-El .

Yes, we can just hold the phone up to our processor mic.  Works great.  

Check out our topic on rehab.  It is full of suggestions by many HP members.  Rehab will be your friend after activation.