Why don’t surgeons provide recommendations?

JohnL

• HearPeers Heroes

I asked my surgeon which brand he would recommend. He asked me which one I was leaning towards. I told him Med-El. He said that's a good brand because of the MRI. 

I don't know if he would change now since AB also has a CI that is compatible with MRIs now. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I had quite a different experience with the team in Perth. I was not given a choice, just told that the device will be from med-el and was given a bunch of brochures etc about it.

I'm not unhappy about this, especially after researching the alternatives, but it's curious that others have choices. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

I believe CI candidates in Canada have the same experience.  The CI team chooses the brand.

No so in Ontario at my clinic. We have the choice between 4 brands. I was given info on Med El, Cochlear and AB a few years ago when it was my time to choose. I see they have added Neurelec/Oticon since...

• HearPeers Heroes
20 minutes ago, Hicksy said:

No so in Ontario at my clinic. We have the choice between 4 brands. I was given info on Med El, Cochlear and AB a few years ago when it was my time to choose. I see they have added Neurelec/Oticon since...

I didn't know the Oticon device was approved in Canada.  I wonder when FDA will permit its launch in the US?

• HearPeers Heroes

That’s cool @Hicksy.  It must vary from center to center or province to province.

Or possibly the people from Canada who commented that they did not have a choice of brand were implanted awhile ago.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 8:17 PM, Kylie said:

I had quite a different experience with the team in Perth. I was not given a choice, just told that the device will be from med-el and was given a bunch of brochures etc about it.

I'm not unhappy about this, especially after researching the alternatives, but it's curious that others have choices. 

@Kylie, it is possible that they didn't give you a choice because you are going with Medicare? If so, I'm surprised that they didn't force you to go with Cochlear as it is an Australian company.

• HearPeers Heroes
2 hours ago, Daniel the Stranger said:

@Kylie, it is possible that they didn't give you a choice because you are going with Medicare? If so, I'm surprised that they didn't force you to go with Cochlear as it is an Australian company.

Possibly, I really don't know. Another thing I might ask!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Mary Beth, they did? Gave me a choice of 3 different types, but at that time, I didn't know I could be a recipient? Have tons of questions now.....

• HearPeers Heroes

@hissyfitz63@gmail.com

yup. Most of us have been in your shoes.

Three CI brands have FDA approval in the US.  Many CI centers work with all three brands.

Start asking us questions.  We are a friendly, helpful bunch.

Ok, they gave me a choice of Medel, cochlear America and advanced bionics, was already told by my hospital they won't scan Medel, anad they don't know anything about Ab.

• HearPeers Heroes

@hissyfitz63@gmail.com

What do you mean by your hospital will not scan Med-El ?

MRI scans? Med-El Synchrony implants can undergo MRI 3T scans.

We have members here who have had MRI scans with their Med-El implants.

There is a Med-El medical info booklet that explains MRI safety with Med-El implants. I will try to post a link.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to note my team at the University Hospital in London Ontario told me they use med el only. My surgeon explained that he preferred that brand over the others concerning the actual implant not the processor.  However an online friend I meant on one of the FB groups lives in Belleview ON. I believe, her implant was done at Sunnybrook in Toronto and had a choice of several cochlear brand implants.    I was concerned that I did not have any options however having done some research I feel Med el will suit me just fine...

It's great to hear that others are doing well with Med El.   Looking forward to this journey....

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

My surgeon didn't offer recommendations for the implant. My discussions were mostly with my audiologist. Originally was going to go with Cochlear since that's the only processor they had to offer at the clinic, but they got Med-El a few months before my surgery and my audi recommended checking it out. Ultimately, I went with Med-el for many reasons. But the internal part my surgeon chose, I don't remember having a discussion or decision on that part..