JohnL

How long after activation will I be able to hear?

I know, I know, everyone is different 😀

But I’m curious to get some input - and here is why. I am scheduled to pick my manufacturer early February, get surgery late March with activation mid to late April. But I am scheduled for a long awaited European vacation starting in mid May and I want to be able to hear conversations during the vacation and don’t know if 3 or 4 weeks after activation is enough time.  So I have to decide whether or not to put off surgery until I come home and other’s experiences will be helpful. Thanks. 

The thing is, @JohnL - everyone's experiences are different.  Some people hear quite well within four weeks.  @Jewel wasn't that true for you?

I could hear after four weeks but it didn't sound great.  On the other hand, I wasn't uncomfortable using the CI either, so maybe you'd be OK.

We may pass you in the sky, we are flying home from Paris on May 15.

@Mary Featherston

I heard well within 10 days of  activation.

@JohnL

If I followed you correctly, you are asking how well you will hear with your CI 2-4 weeks after activation?

I wish there was a magic ball that could tell you that.

I went on vacation a month after activation.

34 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@JohnL

If I followed you correctly, you are asking how well you will hear with your CI 2-4 weeks after activation?

I wish there was a magic ball that could tell you that.

I went on vacation a month after activation.

Seems to me that the question isn't whether you hear perfectly with your CI when you go, but whether it's equal to or better than what you have without it.  I'd bet most of us would say that was true.

37 minutes ago, Mary Featherston said:

Seems to me that the question isn't whether you hear perfectly with your CI when you go, but whether it's equal to or better than what you have without it.  I'd bet most of us would say that was true.

Spot on!

My second Activation still has some screeching sounds and there are some sounds that are giving me goosebumps. I'm saying this just about 2.5 months after activation. I can talk on the phone but it is far from perfect, sometimes I don't understand what the person at the other side of the phone is saying. In saying that, I can say it is a thousand times better than wearing my old hearing aid.

Mary, you phrased the question better than  I did. I think that is the better way to look at it - I.e. will 2-4 weeks after activation be better than what I’ve got now?

36 minutes ago, Daniel the Stranger said:

Spot on!

My second Activation still has some screeching sounds and there are some sounds that are giving me goosebumps. I'm saying this just about 2.5 months after activation. I can talk on the phone but it is far from perfect, sometimes I don't understand what the person at the other side of the phone is saying. In saying that, I can say it is a thousand times better than wearing my old hearing aid.

Same here, brother.  Exactly so.

I got turned on in January two years ago and went on a Caribbean vacation 5 weeks later. The birds drove me absolutely nuts. They were like ice picks to the brain. And I was so happy they did cause I hadn’t  heard birds since I was a kid! 

So no, I couldn’t hear anywhere close to perfect, still can’t, but I could and can hear light years better than before!

@Hicksy you reminded me that I had a similar experience.  I was activated in May and four or five weeks later we spent a week at my brother's cabin in the woods.  Birds and the wind in the trees and the crackle of the campfire.  I had my audiobooks and my Kindle and it was a great vacation.  And I heard much better than before.

@JohnL there's no way to know for sure, you know?  Just make a decision and live with it, you'll have a great vacation either way.  I'd get the surgery, but that's me, and I'm looking at it in retrospect.  You have to be comfortable with this.

For me it was immediately. 

Peter 

I could hear immediately,although for the first,hour or so,voices sounded like " Donald Duck"! LOL After that they gradually became more normal. 

If you have had hearing aids that ability to communicate face to face, you have a good chance to hear at activation. 

I had surgery on April 26, 2019 and activation was June 3.  My ear is still tender from the surgery.  I have an annoying buzz or hum that only stops if I pull my hair away from

the processor.  As of now I can only hear sounds, no voices.  I can only let it on for 2 - 3 hours because of tender ear and that buzz.  Wondering if anyone else has/had the buzz

and if you did, when will it go away?!?  Thank you.

Welcome @carmella416@hotmail.com and congratulations!

Which processor are you using?  

Tender ear with a processor can be solved for many by using a headband and attaching the processor to the headband instead of the ear or putting moleskin between the processor and your ear.

Buzzing caused by hair near the processor.....hmmmm....is this a Sonnet or Sonnet EAS with earmold?

Unable to help, but wish you speedy improvement. 

@carmella416@hotmail.com

I think it was @Mary Featherston who rigged up a comfortable way to wear her Sonnet until her ear was no longer sore.

Hi @carmella416@hotmail.com - I didn't have a buzz, but yes, the Sonnet sits right on the incision and it's tender for a while.  What I did (not at work, but at home) was take a bandanna and fold it so it's a triangle and then fold it in half a couple more times lengthwise.  That leaves you with a piece of fabric that's about an inch and a half wide, and because you folded it you have an opening along one long edge.

Tie the bandanna on your head and then position the magnet over your implant - and then instead of hanging the processor off your ear, tuck it into the folded opening.  It will stay there and your ear won't hurt.