Rechargeable Batteries

Dave in Pittsburgh

How long does your Standard Rechargeable Battery last for you Sonnet?

One Year? Two Year?More?

Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

It says to replace it when it gets only 7 hours or less.

I read something about 500 charging cycles.

Exactly what I have read some where but I have one that are the original with the first implant in October ,2016 and still going just like that bunny and I use the every day get approximately 6 hrs. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

In the US the rechargeable Sonnet batteries are under warranty for only one year.  So whenever you wish to pursue replacements you can ask Med-El to check with your insurance company to see if they will cover any of the cost. Each standard rechargeable battery costs $175 US in the Web Shop.

I have all ready inquired the insurance won’t pay, until my deductible has been meet,that goes for both the rechargeable and disposable batteries.

Last year I bought extra parts as my deductible was meet and never though of batteries.Your life’ line and never thought of it.☹️

• HearPeers Heroes

For bilateral Sonnet users who need 6 standard rechargeable batteries to feel secure with battery power, the break even point between buying Power One Implant disposable batteries seems to be 3 years.  If the 6 rechargeable batteries last for three years, it would cost the same as using Power One implant disposable batteries and swapping them out every other day.

If the 6 rechargeable batteries last longer than 3 years (unlikely due to the statement about 500 charging cycles), then the rechargeable batteries would be cheaper than using disposable batteries.

If the 6 rechargeable batteries need to be replaced sooner than 3 years, disposable batteries would be cheaper.

Of course this is different if insurance covers the cost of one or the other.

It also is based on purchasing Power One Implant batteries from a respectable battery house at discounted rates for multiple boxes.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2019 at 7:41 PM, Mary Beth said:

If the 6 rechargeable batteries need to be replaced sooner than 3 years, disposable batteries would be cheaper.

Mary Bell, your posts are very helpful.  Thank you.  What I am having a hard time understanding is Med-El's $175 price tag per battery (the larger one) for the Sonnet EAS. I lost one battery, and was shocked at the list price.  I've worked with electronics all my life and I know that these could be produced for about 1/7 th of that cost.  Is there no competitor thinking about offering that?  Thanks.  Boyd (BeardedPapa of 5 g'kids)

• HearPeers Heroes

I add a factor though - I hate throwing batteries into the landfill.  Not judging others, I just nearly jumped for joy knowing that the Sonnets and Rondo2s had rechargeables.  And so far I've been really happy with them.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 1/21/2019 at 4:31 PM, Dave in Pittsburgh said:

How long does your Standard Rechargeable Battery last for you Sonnet?

One Year? Two Year?More?

Thanks

Immediately after the warranty wears out! Just like Washers/Dryers/Dishwashers/TVs, etc. 😁

• HearPeers Heroes

Only under warranty for one year in the US.  Standard Sonnet rechargeable batteries are supposed to be replaced when only lasting 7 hours.

BUT

Two batteries only lasting 7 hours MERELY provides power for 14 hours!

That is way too short for my listening day and asking us to swap batteries twice in a listening day is unrealistic to me.

We really need rechargeable batteries for Sonnets that last as long as the other brands.

My first implant was in  10-2016

second implant 3-2018

I am still on the original set of batteries.

I get approx 6 hrs from the standard batteries. I use them 90% of the time I only use disposable batteries when it’s going to be inconvenient to change batteries,however when the rechargeable batteries wear out I will most likely switch to disposable given the cost of the rechargeable batteries and I am bilateral

I hope this answers your question let me know if you need more information