Updates from Rondo 2 users

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I’ve been wearing rondo and rondo2 for more than a week now and am very happy!

tomorrow I am scheduled to receive my Roger MyLink from  connevans via ups so I’ll be able to use my Roger Pen.

i love the freedom of ear space and the extended battery life.

i keep my Sonnets close by as a backup 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

Looking forward to reading your review of the Roger MyLink with your Rondo & Rondo 2.

Has your Rondo 2 battery ever not lasted a full listening day for you on one charge?

• HearPeers Heroes

Nope

it lasts all day following an overnight charge 

ilove it for that reason 

• HearPeers Heroes

2/12/2019

I have received and wear the Rondo2 since December 2018, I absolutely love the the all day rechargeable battery, and the freedom of the ear space for eyeglasses. I wear it in conjunction with my Rondo(1) on my Right ear, and only need to change batteries on that one every three days. I also use the clothes clip connected to my shirt collar for safety. 

I use the Roger Pen and have the Roger MyLink receiver to hear on my iPhone or or at restaurants so I can hear and understand the other people at my table. 

I also have and wear Sonnets with Roger X and Roger 21 receivers, but for now I am really enjoying the Rondo2/Rondo combination.

The hearing quality is excellent, I am able to locate sounds sound as elevator door dings, and while shopping hear the store clerks to respond actively, if you know what I mean... grin.

I still need to work on hearing on the landline telephone,  speakerphone or not.

But overall I am living well with the Rondo combination, listening to music, playing guitar and bass, listening to audio books and reading, hearing the TV news and Netflix shows, working my hearing loop installation job. 

I have enjoyed the use of the Roger Pen with the receivers (Roger X and Roger 21) on my Sonnets. I also have the Roger Select which is amazing in a conference or restaurant situations.

Now with the Roger MyLink and the Rondo2/Rondo combination, I set the MT setting on my FineTuner and am ready for incoming calls or place outgoing calls and am prepared for this difficult hearing situations to hear and understand using the Roger Pen/MyLink combination to hear with more clarity. 

Life is good.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

I have yet to try the Roger Select/MyLink connection yet, however I do not foresee any problems other than initial connections.

That is to say I have had difficulty switching from Roger Pen to Roger Select with my Sonnet Receivers, Roger X and Roger 21.

I chalk that up to learning curve.

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually I realized I had the Select with me and connected it with ease, less than one minute.

Seems to work great, as expected.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell Are you finding that you have better access to sounds from further away with the Rondo 2 compared to the Sonnet?

• HearPeers Heroes

That’s a tough one. 

Im noticing I can hear  sounds from far away with Rondo2 but comparing between Rondo2 and Sonnet is tough. I will need to try Sonnets again in same surroundings. 

For now I’m enjoying Rondo2/Rondo with MyLink. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Jdashiell.  Keep on enjoying your  Rondo 2/Rondo 1 combo!

I describe the differences of how things sound with my various processors like shoes.  Several pairs are comfortable even though they don’t feel exactly the same.  I move between processors easily and use whichever one I prefer.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh believe me I understand the compassion of shoes. I have 3 pairs 

you might have a closet just for your shoes, right?

• Haha 2

• HearPeers Heroes
16 hours ago, Jdashiell said:

Oh believe me I understand the compassion of shoes. I have 3 pairs 

you might have a closet just for your shoes, right?

ONE shoe closet?

• 3 weeks later...

Another question regarding Maplaw. I know the default is 500 but I see some folks including Audi’s change to 1000. What does the 1000 setting do for you?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ron L Sinclair

My MAPLAW is at the default of 500.  I did try MAPLAW of 1000 once but returned to MAPLAW of 500.

MAPLAW basically increases the volume of the softest sounds.  Increasing MAPLAW gives a larger volume boost to softest sounds.

Thanks Mary Beth. I searched "soft sounds" and found an article by Marshall Chasin, a Toronto expert  where after identifying soft sounds he also points out a habit some folks have when speaking. And that is the volume of their voice drops off significantly at the end of their sentences. I have a son that tends to speak this way and so I and my Sonnet have trouble understanding. I think I will make the move to 1200 with the Maplaw and see if it helps.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ron L Sinclair

Good luck.  Let us know how things work for you.

With Sonnets we also have mic settings that our audiologists set for each program.  They are natural, adaptive and omni.  Have you experimented with all 3 mic setting options?  It was helpful for me to experiment with all three mic settings to find which setting works best for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ron L Sinclair

MAPLAW impacts how this red line moves for the boost to soft sounds.

46135D8D-24C8-43EB-83EC-EDB4B0FE4340.png

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ron L Sinclair

I also thought of something else that actually ended up helping me the most with soft sounds and my left CI.  Instead of using default thresholds (which are 10% of MCL or set at zero), we tested the threshold for each electrode and set it that way.  HUGE improvement because it turns out my left side has atypical thresholds.

• HearPeers Heroes
20 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Ron L Sinclair

I also thought of something else that actually ended up helping me the most with soft sounds and my left CI.  Instead of using default thresholds (which are 10% of MCL or set at zero), we tested the threshold for each electrode and set it that way.  HUGE improvement because it turns out my left side has atypical thresholds.

@Mary Beth I'm not following this.  Do you mean the threshold at which you begin to hear?  How does that affect the volume for the electrode?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

What was happening in my left ear with the default thresholds was the signal was being sent for soft sounds at a level I could not actually hear them.  So I was missing the soft sounds on some electrodes.  When we tested the very quietest sound I could hear on each electrode and set thresholds a bit under that (because threshold settings are actually the loudest sound we can NOT hear), it made an immediate huge difference in sound quality.

• Like 2

Thanks again Mary Beth. I took a pic of the computer screen on my last MAP visit and I see the first 6 lower frequency electrodes have the same threshold setting. The last 6 are up some and are then consistent.. I will ask more next visit and check this out. She said something about dropping the threshold for soft sounds 5% so I will look into this further. Looks like she did a group setting rather than check individually. Quite the learning curve here.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ron L Sinclair

I have had my CIs for 4 years and I am still learning! Keep us posted and wishing you the best.

You cannot put any batteries disposal or rechargedable in the dryer.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

I saw that Med-El altered their instructions about that in the new Sonnet quick guide.  Let’s post a new topic so everyone sees it.