Updates from Rondo 2 users

Mary Beth

Mary Beth, thanks for your lists. Doesn't seem quite fair that every Rondo 2 user did not get the same boxes.  Oh well, not the first time.

I don't quite understand how to use phone with Rondo and placing it on MT. Could you explain?

I have looked at the Artone 3 MAX BT Neckloop. Is this something that comes with everything included?

Thank you

• HearPeers Heroes

@DarlaHS

The US promotion for plus Rondo 2 was a different kit than people who choose Rondo 2 in Activation kits now.  And it gets more complicated because some CI centers in the US are two processor per surgery centers so there are also:

one processor Rondo 2 kits

two processor center Rondo 2 kits

two processor center one Sonnet/one Rondo 2 kits

and kits change all of the time.  When I was activated kits did not include any Roger items at all.  And Rondo 2 upgrade kits are different too.

I am happy to help if I can.  If we use a Artone 3 MAX neckloop (which I am a huge fan of and own several sets), we connect the Artone to the phone via BT just like any other BT connection.  We wear the Artone around our neck.  It is tiny and light and can be worn under shirts.  When we want to use it, we need the processors to be on MT (to hear our own voice too) or T (to only hear audio from the phone).  We use our Fine Tuner to switch to MT or T.  Artone 3 MAX BT neckloops can be ordered direct from Artone’s website or from Amazon.  The cool thing is that the Artone is truly hands free.  We can keep the phone in our pocket or on the table.  The Artone picks up our voice for the other person to hear.  You use your phone to dial out.  Incoming calls can be answered by pressing the Artone button or tapping the phone.  It has great sound quality and for bilateral users we hear the phone call in both ears.

We can also use the Rondo or Rondo 2 built in telecoil.  We must be in MT or T via the Fine Tuner.  The best location to hold the phone is at the six o’clock location if the Rondo mic is at 12:00.  Cell phones are rated for HA telecoil strength but I find there can be static sounds even with phones rated high due to other features of the smartphones.  You do not encounter this problem when using the Artone neckloop.

• 9 months later...

My wife received her Sonnett 2 and the Rondo 2 which she wears on the same side;  she had  a map update on the Sonnett 2, appears to be working ok. She says the Rondo 2 isn't a clear as it was before the update on the Sonnett 2; does anyone know if the Rondo 2 should have had a new map to.

Donna J.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Donna J.

Sonnet 2 and Rondo 2 use different Automatic Sound Management (ASM) which impacts how sounds entering the processors are treated (front end processing).

What I notice from using two processors using different ASM, is that I need different MAPs on them.  So we adjust the MAPs separately but during the same appointment.

Some people do fine with the software’s automatic conversion between processors.

So it varies.

Are you in Canada?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Donna J.

Rondo 2 uses ASM 1

Sonnet 2 is designed to use ASM 3 but in the US ASM 3 has not been released yet so Sonnet 2 is using ASM 2 (like Sonnet 1).

I don’t know about Canada.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:55 AM, Mary Beth said:

Thanks for telling us about "telephone with confidence".  I'll have to get on it.  Is it a free site.  I still use my closed caption phone even when I don't really need it because I aren't confident I can follow the conversation.  I only use my cell phone for texting.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marv

Yes it is free.  Here is a link:

https://www.cochlear.com/us/communication-corner/program/adult-telephone.htm

And here is a screenshot of a stress-free way to practice hearing on the phone.  The QR codes will work as links.  Click on the pic so you can zoom in to read it easier.

941F9099-49E5-407C-A1AE-368B5ED07049.jpeg