NEWLY IMPLANTED

Shaun

• HearPeers Heroes

@Monte if you are otherwise okay and are not having any equilibrium issues you could probably exercise.  I had surgery on Friday and was on my treadmill by Monday.

Hi everyone,

I was implanted about 12 hours ago  in my right ear. This afternoon I  begin hearing my own voice in the implanted ear.  This went on for several hours and suddenly stopped.  But then I started  hearing my heart  beat in the  implanted ear.  This is worse than hearing than my  voice as it is continuous (hopefully).   Does anyone have any idea what's  causing this?   Thanks

C T Lex

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @C T lex

Congrats on your surgery. I found that my hearing seemed to have been better right after surgery than it was before I did the surgery. However, things started to diminish in the coming days. So maybe your hearing won't be as sensitive as it is now. Rest up and can't wait to hear about the activation. When is it? 

Another problem developed with my implant.  There is blood flowing into left nostril, same side as the implant, and also draining into the back of my throat.  Mind you it is not extensive, more a drip, drip,  it started about the same time as odd noses.  I was pretty wiped out from the anesthesia yesterday, so I waited until this morning to contact the on call CI surgeon.  Thankfully, he said the heart beat "happens all the time".  As for the bleeding he said it happens too.  I'm to call my surgeon Monday if the problems continue.  I was very relieved because I was prepared for the worst (think explant). 

My daughter is long time speech pathologist and said the heart beat thing could an unusual version tinnitus.  Of course my concern is getting the sound through the implanted ear.

Mary Beth in my scrambled brain I forgot how to direct these notes to you.  If anybody has knows about these symptoms on hearpeers, it will likely be you. Anyone else is also welcome.

Thanks,

C T Lex

• HearPeers Heroes

@C T lex

I coughed up blood for a few days following surgery. The docs said not to worry as it wasn't much. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @C T lex

I am glad you are in contact with your CI team.  They know best.

For awhile I heard tinnitus that matched my pulse.  It was called pulsatile tinnitus.  It was very strange.  But it went away completely.  I hope it goes away for you too!

5 hours ago, Jewel said:

Hi @C T lex

Congrats on your surgery. I found that my hearing seemed to have been better right after surgery than it was before I did the surgery. However, things started to diminish in the coming days. So maybe your hearing won't be as sensitive as it is now. Rest up and can't wait to hear about the activation. When is it? 

@Jewel

Thanks for your posts Jewel.  After yours and Mary Beth's posts similar to what I'm experiencing I'm further at ease.  I keep thinking I know a little about this stuff and then crash and burn.

I have/had (won't know for awhile) significant residual hearing in the implanted ear.  I saw your great post on Rondo2 and it helped me decide on Rondo2 before I  know of EAS.  With my left ear now implanted the right ear is laboring.  Sound is not as rounded as it was, much more tinny.  If I should lose the residual it's a no, brainer, I'll go with Rondo2 .

C T Lex

@Mary Beth

Mary Beth are you aware of any experiences here where someone compared Sonnet EAS and Rondo2?   Feature wise I've compared them already but it'd be great to see a user comparison.

Thanks again,

C T Lex

You do enrich this forum! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@C T lex

I have found that most Sonnet EAS users have not used Rondo processors because of the inability to use the EAS feature with one piece processors.

I have read many reports from EAS users who prefer not to always wear the earmold and at times use different programs on their Sonnets which are CI only...or have one Sonnet EAS set up for EAS and a backup Sonnet set up for CI only.

I have also read reports from people whose hearing loss declined over time and no longer benefit from the EAS so use the CI function only.

I appreciate your kind words but I feel the strength of this forum comes from what each member brings to the forum.  We are all equal here and I love learning from every member.

@Mary Beth   

Thanks Mary Beth, regarding EAS users.  I'm thinking it will be difficult to not choose Rondo 2 when the time comes.  Jewel had  residual hearing previous to surgery and adjusted very well to Rondo 2.  

I'm past day three since Friday's surgery.  Still some blood in my  throat today, after it stopped yesterday..  Main aggravation though is with the pulsating tinnitus which continues today. Not as bad as Saturday,, not much improvement since yesterday.  I remain hopeful that will eventually stop.

C T Lex   

@C T lex, I think I know why you had blood in your throat following surgery. I had the same thing. During general anesthesia, an endotracheal tube is put into your mouth and down your throat so that the ventilator can  keep you breathing. I had a bloody throat and a bruised upper lip from the procedure. Just a side effect of them keeping you alive while they drill into your skull. Probably better than the alternative of dying in the OR.  ;-)

Thanks, Monte.  I'm sure that's part of my problem too.  My throat was raw after surgery from that.  But also, I'm bleeding into my left nostril, on the same side as the implant.  The surgeon gave me some explanation about blood trapped up there from surgery.  He said that would dissipate in a few days. 

Biggest problem I'm having is the pulsing tinnitus from my heartbeat.  I'm only three days plus past surgery so I'm being patient for now.

C T Lex

• HearPeers Heroes

@C T lex

One thing to bear in mind is that if you have a long power outage you wouldn't be able to charge the Rondo2. That would be an issue for me given where I live. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I think I would always have a USB battery charger at the ready.  We travel with one and it could power the Rondo 2 charger for quite awhile.  

It may be possible to charge the Rondo 2 by plugging the charger into a car as well and going on a four hour car ride.  Smile.  But I think I would stick with the USB battery charger.

It is something to think about whenever we rely on rechargeable batteries.  Using disposable batteries gives us an easily replenishable power supply just by carrying a pack of extra batteries around. 

• HearPeers Heroes
8 minutes ago, Jewel said:

@C T lex

One thing to bear in mind is that if you have a long power outage you wouldn't be able to charge the Rondo2. That would be an issue for me given where I live. 

You know, @Jewel if your power grid is unstable you could probably get a little portable solar panel.  We have one that we take camping so I can charge my CIs and my Kindle.  My husband bought it but I know it couldn't have been too costly - he's cheap.  Er, frugal.  That's it.  Frugal.  🙂

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Mary Beth

I didn't think of a USB charger. I do have an Anker charger. Didn't even occur to me that I could use that.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 minute ago, Mary Featherston said:

You know, @Jewel if your power grid is unstable you could probably get a little portable solar panel.  We have one that we take camping so I can charge my CIs and my Kindle.  My husband bought it but I know it couldn't have been too costly - he's cheap.  Er, frugal.  That's it.  Frugal.  🙂

@Mary Featherston

Where do I find this solar panel? 

13 hours ago, Jewel said:

@C T lex

@Jewel  Thank you,,  Jewel.  I'll keep a battery charger in mind. @Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel this is the one we have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4NH9ES/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My husband says the price has gone up but I don't know by how much.  Still, for $209 it's not bad if you need the backup.

• HearPeers Heroes

OK, @Jewel - Ron tells me that I should tell you that this requires a battery - we have a car battery that runs the lights in our camper, and we hook it up to that, but you'd have to have a battery to use this.  He also said that this might be overkill for one Rondo2 (plus your phone, right?) and if you'd like he can see what he can find online.

Hi,

I am Bindu. My daughter(5yr old) got her CI for her left ear on Jan 17th 2019 and her implant is activated just 2days back. Am very excited and scared as well to start a new journey. 

My daughter has bilateral sensorineural hearing loss and was diagnosed with hearing loss in 2017 and from them she has been wearing hearing aids. Now she is wearing her RONDO 2 processor for left ear with magnet-3.

As a new member of CI team, request you to share tips or suggestions.

• HearPeers Heroes
6 hours ago, Mary Featherston said:

OK, @Jewel - Ron tells me that I should tell you that this requires a battery - we have a car battery that runs the lights in our camper, and we hook it up to that, but you'd have to have a battery to use this.  He also said that this might be overkill for one Rondo2 (plus your phone, right?) and if you'd like he can see what he can find online.

Yes @Mary Featherston

If your hubby doesn't mind doing the research I would really appreciate it. The link you sent me stated that Amazon would not ship that product to Jamaica. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bindu

Welcome to Hear Peers. I too have bilateral sensorineural hearing loss but only wear one CI. Check out the Rehab posts in this forum. Feel free to ask any questions. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Bindu!

I wish the very best for your daughter!

I have two CIs and am a Teacher of the Deaf.  I see you are in the US.  Are you connected to services to help your daughter learn to listen with her cochlear implant?

Which mic cover design is your daughter using on her Rondo 2?