Sonnet ASM 2 mic setting options

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Here is the info you asked for....

There are technically 4 mic setting options on the Sonnets but we tend to think of them as three.

omni uses one mic and picks up sounds from all around us

natural uses two mics and has a fixed focus to the front for low frequency sounds and is omni for high frequency sounds.  This is the setting Med-El recommends for everyday use.

adaptive uses two mics and is beam forming.  It dampens noise behind us and shifts to focus on speech in front and to our sides.  It is quite amazing in noise.

the fourth option is a modification of adaptive called auto adaptive.  It stays in omni until sounds around us hit a trigger level (55 or 60 dB) and then switches automatically to adaptive

I encourage people to try various mic settings and see which work best for them in their lives.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do best in omni mic setting and do not like natural mic setting at all.  It is too limiting for me.  I enjoy sounds from all around.  Adaptive is great in noisy places and performs best if the noise is behind us.  So don’t sit with your back against the wall in noisy restaurants like our HA days.  Smile.  Sit with the main restaurant noise behind you.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting slides on RONDO 1 vs OPUS 2 .  The final slide is SONNET and shows the benefit when noise is behind us.

https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.acialliance.org/resource/resmgr/CI2014_PPT/Kompis__sat_am.pdf

61D63629-8E04-4840-B7DA-B6062DC38A1E.png

• HearPeers Heroes
On 1/24/2019 at 7:48 PM, Mary Beth said:

Here is the info you asked for....

There are technically 4 mic setting options on the Sonnets but we tend to think of them as three.

omni uses one mic and picks up sounds from all around us

natural uses two mics and has a fixed focus to the front for low frequency sounds and is omni for high frequency sounds.  This is the setting Med-El recommends for everyday use.

adaptive uses two mics and is beam forming.  It dampens noise behind us and shifts to focus on speech in front and to our sides.  It is quite amazing in noise.

the fourth option is a modification of adaptive called auto adaptive.  It stays in omni until sounds around us hit a trigger level (55 or 60 dB) and then switches automatically to adaptive

I encourage people to try various mic settings and see which work best for them in their lives.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do best in omni mic setting and do not like natural mic setting at all.  It is too limiting for me.  I enjoy sounds from all around.  Adaptive is great in noisy places and performs best if the noise is behind us.  So don’t sit with your back against the wall in noisy restaurants like our HA days.  Smile.  Sit with the main restaurant noise behind you.

As I mentioned in another post, I have a mapped program that sets adaptive. I believe, However, I prefer to set things manually using the FineTuner.

In a restaurant (They are ALL noisy!), I adjust Sensitivity down 5 clicks, and Volume down 2-3 clicks. I find that helps me to hear and participate in conversation at the table. I often use this with the Roger Pen of Roger Select.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I have one slot left for a map on my Sonnet. The omni that is on my Rondo2 is quite good, but not the second omni map that is a copy of what was on my Sonnet, which I never used on either processor. 

Can't decide whether to get Omni or Auto Adaptive in the open slot of my Sonnet. What do you think? 

• HearPeers Heroes

I did not like auto adaptive and I am not sure if auto adaptive and regular adaptive can be on the Sonnet in different program slots simultaneously.

@Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

I was told that it is technically impossible to set both version of adaptive for the same processor. During my first mapping when ASM 2 was introduced, my audi showed me that ASM2 disables one of the type of adaptive so only one option can be active for use.

• HearPeers Heroes

That is my understanding too @Cara Mia.

I tested out auto adaptive and returned for a MAPping to have it removed and replaced by adaptive.

• HearPeers Heroes

Maybe I could request auto adaptive on my backup processor and trial it.