ADHEAR experiences

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I am sorry you had that experience @segoro72.  I hope you find another center.  In the US, audiologists recommend hearing aids (sometimes in consultation with ENT doctors).

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - he said it was good, a huge improvement over hearing aids, which of course it would be given a conductive loss.  He is trying to get his insurance to pay for it.  They refused him the BAHA that he qualified for last year, so I don't know, but I hope he'll decide to buy it himself if the insurance won't pay.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Has he looked into the newly FDA approved BoneBridge implant from Med-El ?  A friend has two and loves them.  They have been available in other countries for many years but just received FDA approval in the US in 2018.

• HearPeers Heroes
40 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

Has he looked into the newly FDA approved BoneBridge implant from Med-El ?  A friend has two and loves them.  They have been available in other countries for many years but just received FDA approval in the US in 2018.

Yes, but he was turned down for the implant.  His insurance sounds pretty bad.  Possibly the problem is that he's only deaf in one ear so they assume he can get by, but he's a teacher and really wants to be able to hear better.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

There are some clinical studies about cochlear implants for single sided deafness.  Sometimes people are able to participate in clinical studies to get what insurance denies.  Sorry it has been so difficult for your cousin.

• HearPeers Heroes
2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

There are some clinical studies about cochlear implants for single sided deafness.  Sometimes people are able to participate in clinical studies to get what insurance denies.  Sorry it has been so difficult for your cousin.

Would they normally implant a cochlear implant for conductive loss?  I don't see why it wouldn't work, but then why are there things like Bonebridge?  Seems as though there's some overlap in what device will help.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

No.  That was my mistake.  I saw “deaf in one ear”  and thought of a deaf side (sensorineural deafness).  Sorry.

Condictive losses tend to use:

ADHEAR

BONEBRIDGE

SOUNDBRIDGE

• HearPeers Heroes
28 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Interesting, thanks.  My audiologist told me once that they can tell what kind of loss you have by your test results, but I hadn't seen the detail.

• HearPeers Heroes

Our audiologists are wealths of knowledge.  I would not be where I am today without the skill, dedication and caring of my awesome audiologist.  I am so thankful.

• 4 months later...

I am actually doing this for my sister who lives in Houston.  Went to website and saw only organizations and places for children.  She uses headphones for i phone/music but really needs  for conversation/business  events etc... she will not do an implant so the ADHEAR seems perfect.  Can she have it ordered from any Hearing or ENT place?   Can she buy direct from the company or another supplier online?  We tried to leave with the company website but would not take her email as like me she is using  our old emails that we have had for decades, Thanks all! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Adfriedman

Hello and welcome.

ADHEAR is a type of bone conduction hearing aid and is fitted by audiologists.  There is a clinic finder on the Med-El website.  I’ll post a link for you.

Yes. But all clinics listed are pediatric at Texas children’s or Baylor college if medicine.  No adult places listed. 

• 1 year later...

I have had single sided deafness (left) and moderate hearing loss (right).  Would adhear work?  How much are they for one aid verse two?  How do you find a provider ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@seeker

On the Med-El website you can find clinic finder.  Select ADHEAR and your state to see providers near you.  Or you can contact Med-El US via phone or email.

• 11 months later...

dear sir/madam,

i am from india,mumbai. have gone through your conversations and found interest for ADHEAR technology useful for one side deafness due to internal neurons deadness or some childhood physical inability to hear from both ears.

i want some clear information for ADHEAR usefulness for myself, struggling to hear from my left ear clear and normally without using (currently i use CROS system hearing aids from GN REsound - left with cells and right is charging type). my ENT diagnosed me as profound hearing loss due to neurons deadness. i tried siemens hearing aids as well as current one which i mentioned above.

will this ADHEAR technology work for me, and what will be INR charges for that if its available in INDIA.

yours truly

Dnyanesh. 

Hi @Dnyanesh, thank you for your interest in ADHEAR. 

These are the contact details of our official MED-EL in India: 

MED-EL India Private Ltd.
#505 Pragati House, 47-48 Nehru Place, New Delhi, India | 110019 New Delhi
Phone 91-11-4160-7171 | Fax 91-11-4164-2800 | Email
India.Support@medel.com  

We suggest you to get in touch with them directly so they can assist you with your questions.

Kind Regards, Giulia

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MED-EL Moderator said:

Hi @Dnyanesh, thank you for your interest in ADHEAR. 

These are the contact details of our official MED-EL in India: 

MED-EL India Private Ltd.
#505 Pragati House, 47-48 Nehru Place, New Delhi, India | 110019 New Delhi
Phone 91-11-4160-7171 | Fax 91-11-4164-2800 | Email
India.Support@medel.com  

We suggest you to get in touch with them directly so they can assist you with your questions.

Kind Regards, Giulia

thanks for valuable prompt response.

hi mary,

i have read your info for india address.

surf on the said site and found ADHEAR supplement is not yet started in india.

as per nearest hospitals from mumbai - still they are not familiar with ADHEAR.

exactly when ADHEAR been launched and is circulated all over the world?

Dnyanesh

• 3 weeks later...