New Med-El Synchrony internal implant FDA approved

Mary Beth

It’s MRI safety more 3.0 T.

My right ear implanted by Concerto.

My left ear implanted by Synchrony.

Both ready for future but Synchrony have more advantages because it’s newer than concerto.

As on the website that Synchrony:

1. Advanced hearing performance.

2. Highest MRI safety.

3. Lifetime reliability.

4. Always compatible.

• HearPeers Heroes

There may be other differences between Synchrony and Concerto but my understanding is the major difference is the rotating magnet in the Synchrony which allows for 3.0 T MRI.

I have one of each.  Both have the same warranty.  Med-El makes future processors backward compatible to all internals.  That will become very important to me as time goes on.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all. The article by Mary Beth was new to me. The key words for me were “surgeon preference” and the ability to make a better placement. As the implant works in the background, I’m assuming that I’ll be primarily focused on my audio processors, Sonnet 2 & Rondo 2, for the perception differences I will experience.

• 3 years later...

I decided to attach here the brochure for the Synchrony ST implant, as currently it is very hard to find any proof of existence of this implant, and this Hearpeers topic is one of the few places that pop up when doing a Google search. I got the brochure from the local Med-El rep, who agreed with me that this information should be available for patients. He described the Synchrony ST as a hybrid of Synchrony-based magnet and an older implant core.

This implant was the one available in Finland in 2020-2021. The time bracket is possibly larger, but I can only confirm this one, as my attempts of having a civil discussion on a Finnish group ended up like putting a stick in an anthill. Here's the shady part: the implants in Finland are bought using public money, and because those cheaper models exist, those have been the ones that the patients were getting. According to the local Med-El representative, not a single Synchrony or Synchrony 2 was sold in Finland. There is a small handful of people with Synchrony/2 implants, but those were allegedly sponsored by Med-El for livestreamed surgeries happening in 2019-2021. Problem is, Med-El's website for Finland has only been listing the more expensive models which feature a thinner core. The ST model, or the currently in use Sonata 2, have never been mentioned there. When I was a candidate, I was told by the hospital to get information about the implants from the manufacturer's websites... so I was misled to what I was getting. According to the Finnish group, I wasn't the only one who was given the wrong information. The local representative believes this is wrong, and that the website should be updated to reflect the models actually used in the country, however he has been forbidden to do so by the upper management. Apparently, they only want the latest and greatest to be advertised.

I've been told that "in most cases, the difference in thickness should not cause any issues". That's the catch, it has been causing issues for me, as well as these budget models not having any fixation mechanisms on their own. I've had the implants rise up and stick out too much, and migrate outside of their wells, multiple times now. Even the right side, that was recently made work, is giving me anxiety that the deep well I have for it might fill up over time again, causing pain and rendering the implant unusable.

25881CE_r5_1-synchronySTFS-WEB.pdf