newby CI in the future

soojjan

• HearPeers Heroes

@Monte

LOL.  Enjoy the game.  Vary it a bit by choosing different categories with targeted words that vary by number of syllables.

colors:  red, yellow, magenta

family names:  Tom, Harry, Elizabeth 

I look forward to following your journey.  I can sense your excitement in your posts!  It is an exciting time.

Thank you for your kind words.

I am staying tuned.

• HearPeers Heroes

Am I the only person here who doesn't know this game?  This is played in the car?  Don't you people count cows or play the license plate game? 

Inquiring minds, etc.  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

@Monte is referring to the aural rehab game we played on the long drive home (5 hours) from my CI center (New York Eye & Ear in NYC) on activation day for my first CI.  I talk about it in the video Med-El made while I was at the MeetUp.

Since my complete deafness is in my right ear, I usually can't have a conversation with my passengers while I'm driving. I am excited to be able to hold a conversation in the car. Of course, if it is back seat driving or nagging, I can always take off my processor to enjoy some peace and quiet. haha! But I am so excited to get started. I'm not worried about the surgery at all. My surgeon is a guy named Dr. Abraham Jacob in southern Arizona. He is one of the leading CI surgeons in the country. When he was going through the risks with me, he mentioned that he has done over 6,000 CI operations and has never injured a facial nerve, but said I could be the first. I asked him what percentage of people are helped by a CI. "Almost everyone" was his answer! WOW! He is going to put a Flex 24 in me. He said that almost every time he has used a longer electrode array, he cant get the last electrode into the Cochlea and said he achieves great results with the Flex 24. Anyway, I report to the hospital to check in for surgery in exactly 48 hours!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
On 1/28/2019 at 9:21 PM, Mary Beth said:

@soojjan

I swim with my Rondos in waterwear and hear great!  I use EarGear covers with a tether and clip.  Over that I wear a nammucap.  Very comfortable and everything sounds fantastic.  Hearing in the ocean is one of my favorite CI experiences.

What is a nammucap?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Monte

My right ear was the ear that was completely deaf for 24 years so I know exactly what you mean about driving and not hearing people in the car.

Now I hear everyone!  Front seat, back seat.  It is soooo refreshing to have listening WOW moments after decades of progressive loss.

My right ear has a medium electrode array which is 24 but not flex due to obstructions.  My left ear has flex 28.  Both work great and are very balanced!

• HearPeers Heroes
On 1/28/2019 at 11:51 PM, soojjan said:

thanx!

An athlete is a big word!:D The only thing im afraid of is the noise of wind. I wear Widex hearingaids on this moment and the wind is somethimes annoying. (is not the fault of Widex, just the cross i guess)

I see more benefits with the rondo 2 for me at this point.

In 2 weeks I have an appointment with the audiologist for more tests (i had already an MRI for my cochlea) and the final decision (which I have already made)

Welcome to HearPeers and the world of CIs!

i deal with wind noise often and will ask my AuD next visit if that can be addressed.

Ask any questions along your journey,new are always willing and available to help.

good luck! Let us now after surgery...:)

32 minutes ago, Monte said:

Here we go. Surgery today! Fingers crossed.

Everything went great! I'm a CIBOURG! My surgeon said my cochlea was fine and he got the flex 24 fully inserted. I'm home from the hospital with a nice headache. New tinnitus now, but that just means that the nerve is working. Speaking of nerves, I've got absolutely no facial nerve issues or taste problems. No nausea either. So far so good!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Great news, @Monte!  Rest up, the good part's yet to come.  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

Terrific @Monte!  Welcome to the world of CI users!

My CI surgeries were the easiest ear surgeries I ever had.  Sounds like you were just as lucky!

Rest easy.  The fun will begin soon.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 7:51 AM, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

@Monte is referring to the aural rehab game we played on the long drive home (5 hours) from my CI center (New York Eye & Ear in NYC) on activation day for my first CI.  I talk about it in the video Med-El made while I was at the MeetUp.

Are there captions to your video?  I can't seem to find them ad I don't read lips:(

• HearPeers Heroes

@Billfr

Med-El made that video and they are captioning it.  I do not yet have a link to the captioned version of my video.  I discuss that rehab game when I am talking about my WOW moment several hours after activation.  I will ask @MED-EL Moderator if there is a link to my captioned video yet.

I have seen two parts of my video on Med-El’s FB page with captions but the part you are asking for I have not seen captioned yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @soojjan - how was your surgery?  You doing well?

6 hours ago, Mary Featherston said:

Hey @soojjan - how was your surgery?  You doing well?

My operation date is April 16. First I have to do all kinds of tests (BAHA, cross). I look forward to it with a double feeling. Somewhere I hear that the voices by CI are monotonous. That you can not distinguish between man and woman. But at least you hear them ...

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@soojjan

At first when my CI was activated 3.5 weeks after surgery, everything sounded very strange.  That is normal.  It takes our brains time to figure out the new auditory input.  Then I started understanding more and more speech, but people still sounded odd.  Everyday the way speech sounded improved.  In the end, everyone sounds natural.  They all have their own voices and their voices sound fantastic.

This journey happened with music too.  At first two different notes played on a piano sounded the same.  Then bit by bit music started sounding better and better.  In the end, music sounds wonderful.  All the instruments have their own voices.  

For my journey, aural rehab helped a lot.  It made things sound better sooner.  I practiced aural rehab several hours everyday.  We have a topic here full of aural rehab suggestions.  I hope you find it helpful.

Wishing you the best in April.

• HearPeers Heroes
7 hours ago, soojjan said:

My operation date is April 16. First I have to do all kinds of tests (BAHA, cross). I look forward to it with a double feeling. Somewhere I hear that the voices by CI are monotonous. That you can not distinguish between man and woman. But at least you hear them ...

That's not true for me.  It does take a long time for the brain to learn how to hear this way, but it does get better!  Good luck!

• HearPeers Heroes

@soojjan

Hi. I never had a problem distinguishing male from female voices. I do find that it is more of a challenge if the person speaks nasal. I find that I prefer looking at them to make out what they are saying even though I can't lipread them. Everyone else is OK. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Billfr

The captioned video is available now.  Here is a link:

• HearPeers Heroes

Follow the link to YouTube for the captions

To activate the subtitles:
Follow link
Choose full screen
Tap on video
Go to subtitles (bottom right icon)
Select ENGLISH
Tap DONE (top right)