POLL: Top of your Med-El Wish List

Mary Beth

What is at the top of your Med-El wish list?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. I am most looking forward to.....

• Longer rechargeable battery life
    • Wireless rechargeable option for all processors
    • Straight from phone to processor streaming
    • Dual mics on one piece processors
    • Other: please tell us under comments

• HearPeers Heroes

@Helgeo

WOW that is a high number of Sonnet processor problems.  I have had numerous Sonnet processor problems and replacements but never due to moisture.

I have experienced similar issues with Sonnet due to moisture/perspiration.  When it starts acting up I have to put it in the dryer and change to the Rondo.  Not sure what I would do if I did not have a backup processor.

• HearPeers Heroes

Back up processors have helped me greatly too.  I wish everyone had backup processors!

• HearPeers Heroes

Our poll is slowly increasing!  20 people participated so far.  Scroll to the top to join in!

• HearPeers Heroes

Holding steady at 20 of us participating in the poll so far.  It would be great if more members joined in.

Scroll up see the poll.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Helgeo I was talking to my audiologist yesterday about Sonnet 2, and while I'm interested to hear what features it has, I'll probably never have one - I only got implanted last year, and got the original Sonnet.  By the time I get upgraded I'm betting there will be a newer processor yet!

• HearPeers Heroes

Stalled at 20 participants.  Join in the poll. Scroll up to participate.  Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

Just thought of something else:  it would be nice if the Sonnets were thinner.  My ears sit close to my head and I have to kind of push the Sonnets down.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Yes size does matter with these BTE processors as we only have so much space available behind our ears.

The OPUS 2 with the XS battery pack is my favorite size.  I adjusted to the size of the Sonnet 1 but I prefer the smaller OPUS 2 XS size.

• HearPeers Heroes

Anyone else want to join in our poll?  Just scroll to the top to participate.  Thanks 

• HearPeers Heroes
2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

Yes size does matter with these BTE processors as we only have so much space available behind our ears.

The OPUS 2 with the XS battery pack is my favorite size.  I adjusted to the size of the Sonnet 1 but I prefer the smaller OPUS 2 XS size.

Next time I get glasses I'm going to make sure I get some with the thinnest earpieces I can get.  These are glasses that I bought just before I was evaluated for CIs, so I wasn't thinking about that - my hearing aids were tiny in comparison.  I bought a pair with thinner earpieces from an online optical company and they worked really well but were a little less robust and ended up looking crooked so I went back to my others.  I got my annual nag about an eye appointment recently and will go do that and then see what I can do.

My Sonnet actually fell off my head in the car today - first time that's ever happened.  I think I didn't push it down behind the ear well enough, and it's cold so I had a scarf that sort of bonked it from below.  I'm not worried about that on an ongoing basis, it's more just the feeling that my ears would prefer not to poke out like Jughead.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

Do you find yourself switching to your Rondo 2s after work to give your ears a break?

Every day.  Partly because I exercise every evening, and partly for the comfort.

• HearPeers Heroes

In fact - I've been wondering something.  I've focused primarily on the Sonnets in my rehab.  Do you @Mary Beth - or anyone - know, does that make sense?  Should I get everything working well with one processor and then start on the second?  I know that @Jewel switches back and forth but I also know that her rehab was at the speed of sound compared to mine.  Would using the Rondo2s more now slow down my aural rehab?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I did rehab with whichever processors I was wearing at the moment.  It improved my ability to hear well with any of my processors.  That worked for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I got tested yesterday with the Sonnet and my score in quiet went down slightly (I missed one more word) but I improved in quiet.

My audi decided to test me in quiet with the Rondo2 afterward. I got 85% which is far more than what I got with my Sonnet (I think i got low 70s) It just proved that I hear better with my Rondo2! 

I hear better when doing aural rehab with Rondo2. But I will still rehab with the Sonnet too. 

Btw @Mary Bethmy audi didn't know about auto adaptive but she called a Med-El rep and she was able to put auto adaptive on my backup processor so I will see how it goes. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Auto adaptive is a subset of adaptive. If our audiologists choose adaptive, they can select

-always adaptive

-adaptive at 55 dB

-adaptive at 60 dB

(I think it’s 55 and 60 as triggers for auto adaptive.)

Its nice that your booth testing confirmed your personal experience that you are hearing better with your Rondo 2 than your Sonnet.

Do you ever think about using your Rondo 2 always and your Sonnet as a backup processor?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I will be curious to read your review of auto adaptive.  I didn’t care for it because it switches too often.  We are in 60 dB environments a lot.  And the omni component of auto adaptive did not sound as good to me as the true omni setting in Sonnets.

But everyone is different so it may work great for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

As much as I love my Rondo2, there are times I need to use the Sonnet. I have at least 16 big meetings each year that I have to present to, and no one to help me if I miss anything. So I love to use the Roger Pen in those instances. I know that I can get a MyLink and use that to connect the Pen to the Rondo2 but I don't wish to spend any more money right now. 

Also, I went to a noisy restaurant last week. I was wearing the Rondo2. I had trouble hearing my coworker while we were there. I figured if I had the Sonnet, I could have just changed to adaptive. 

I will definitely give my review of auto adaptive. I won't be tested again for another year but I have another mapping appointment in August so I will be experimenting until then. 

The audi put the Rondo2 omni program that I like onto my Sonnet. She also increased the volume for the Natural. But since this was a testing appointment I didn't get any other tweaks. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

adaptive is quite superb in noise.  Hard to beat that.

Also the position of the mics on BTE processors may help also in noise compared to one piece processors depending on the location of our internal magnets.  I notice that with my Rondo 1 compared to OPUS 2 or Sonnets.

You have spent so much money on your CI journey it is totally understandable to not want to purchase more items!  

I can not use ASM 1 programs on ASM 2 processors but I wish I could because it would be easier to deal with MAPping appts.  At least I cannot use ASM 1 programs on Sonnets.

I have ASM 1 programs that work great on OPUS 2, Rondo 1 and also did work perfectly on Sonnets before ASM 2 was activated,

And I have ASM 2 programs that work on Sonnets.

I hope you are lucky and your ASM 1 and ASM 2 programs can be the same.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

That's another thing for me to check.... Whether omni on the Sonnet sounds as good as omni on my Rondo2. Good thing I have several months for all these experiments! 

• 1 month later...

Desperate for an iPhone app to replace the Siemens MiniTek remote for my Samba. I gather there's an android app, and don't understand why one hasn't been released for apple customers. @MED-EL Moderator - do you have any idea if one is in the works? 

• HearPeers Heroes

App for mobile to manage processor options. (finetuner on app mobile)   🙂