Sonnet 2

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

Someone just posted on the Facebook cochlear implant users group that Canada has approved Sonnet 2, the next generation BTE processor.  I'd love to know how it compares to the current Sonnet!

• HearPeers Heroes

I am surprised that it seems it will be rolled out in Canada first. 

I'm not disappointed I missed it. I got a free Rondo2 after all. 

I await Sonnet 3!

Is there a link or pictures with this information?  

I am in the process of getting evaluated for my second implant and getting the latest processor would be great. 

I will be seeing my audiologist next Thursday when I get my Rondo 2 up and running and I will ask her

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Jewel said:

I am surprised that it seems it will be rolled out in Canada first. 

I'm not disappointed I missed it. I got a free Rondo2 after all. 

I await Sonnet 3!

@Jewel - this isn't Med-El's plan, this is Canada's process for approving regulatory submissions being more efficient than ours.  If you remember, Rondo2 was available in Canada before it was in the US too.   Canada is pretty good at this.  The EU is not bad.  The US is slow and Japan, Brazil and Russia are glacial.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, and this was posted later on the Facebook CI users group:

MED-EL 2.4 GHz WIRELESS is FINALLY HERE !

When MED-EL's Sonnet BTE processor was released in 2014, they claimed " Wireless ready for 2.4 GHz applications" . And indeed, Sonnet incorporated a tested and approved 2.4 GHz transceiver. But, that was it - no compatible accessories to enable wireless functionality. Until now - 5 years later. That accessory, dubbed Audiolink, combines a Bluetooth gateway, remote microphone, and DAI (line input) capability. There is also a brand-new Fine Tuner (remote)
Sonnet 2 and Sonnet 2 EAS have already been approved for Canada, but no information as of now on approvals in other jurisdictions, nor actual availability.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Helgeo hello!  This was posted on one called Cochlear implant users.

There's also one just for Med-El users called Med El Cochlear Implant Discussion Group.

Maybe I'll see you there!

Is there a way we can get someone from Med-El to give us more information about US? I am about to make a decision between Med El and Cochlear and a new Sonnet would tip me over to Med El. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnL

You can ask on the official Med-El USA FaceBook page under visitor posts.  Med-El responds.

In my experience, Med-El never releases info prior to FDA approval in the US.  So far it has worked like this.....

FDA approval

Med-El releases info with an expected release date (usually a season)

Med-El releases actual release date

As CI users our processors are going to change many times throughout our lifetime.  The internal CI component hopefully lasts our entire lifetime.  The three CI brands which are FDA approved keep introducing new processors.  It is exciting.  

Thanks. I’ll give that a try. Even if they don’t give a timeline perhaps they could give us the features. After all, it’s publicnin Canada. 

And I realize technology is going to change. I’d just hate to get a Sonnet and a few months later need to buy a sonnet 2. 

I have some other reservations that I can address on that page too. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnL even if you get the current Sonnet (as I did) you would not have to replace it just because Sonnet2 came out.  I am very happy with my Sonnets and my Rondo2s and am fine with waiting till I'm allowed an upgrade by my insurance.  By then it may be a newer processor yet!

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnL

I feel the same as @Mary Featherston.  I have 3 sets of processors because I fell into promotions just by luck.

a set of Sonnet processors 

a set of Rondo 1 processors 

a set of OPUS2 processors 

I hear great with all 3.  They each have their own advantages.

• Like 1

Understood. There are three things that are making me hesitate with the current Sonnet. I may be able to use EAS and the Sonnet adapter is a tube as opposed to the Nucleus 7 which is a standard hearing aid wire. Second is the rechargeable battery life - much shorter than nucleus. And third is the iPhone and Bluetooth compatibility which is better with nucleus 7. Not deal breakers alone but with all three ...

ive messaged med el thru Facebook and will let you know what they say. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Whichever brand you choose as best for you @JohnL, will be the right brand for you.  It is important that we feel happy with our brand choice.

I agree that we must be happy with our choice. Which makes it all the more difficult because I lean toward Med El for the internal piece but the Cochlear external processors are a bit “better” for my life style. With new features on the Sonnet 2, it may be a slam dunk for MedEl. 

Did I see somewhere that MedEl offered “free” Rondo 2s to those with recent Rondos when they first came out with Rondo2?

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnL

Med-El runs promotions from time to time in the US and other countries.  No advance notice seems to go out.  Med-El announces the promotions on their official Med-El USA FB group.  I am not aware of any Med-El promotion in the US at this time but the best way to be sure is for you to contact Med-El US directly.

Most promotions I have seen have been for new surgery kits.  However they did run a short promotion near the end of 2018, for upgrade kits.  They also have discounts for upgrade kits sometimes which require a trade in processor and must be self pay kits, not insurance.

I was surprised to learn that my students with CIs only have their brands warranty for 3 years on upgrade kits.  I had assumed warranties for activation kits and upgrade kits were the same.  Thankfully, Med-El does have the same length warranty for upgrade kits (5 years).  That seemed so far off when I was implanted yet already my right side is almost at 4 years!  Time flies.  

Choose the brand that excites you the most.  It will make your CI journey better.

• Like 1

To update you - MedEl could not give me any information because the FDA has not approved Sonnet 2 for the US. I guess we will have to wait until MedEl announces the release for Canada to find out more. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, any news about this potencial Sonnet 2 release? Shouldn't we have already more news on the topic If It was true? Any potential release date for Europe? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @VictorR

Med-El will announce the Sonnet 2 when they are getting ready to release it somewhere.  People are expecting to hear something soon but we will not know anything for sure until Med-El makes a formal announcement.

Are you hoping to upgrade to a Sonnet 2?

Yes, we are definitely looking to upgrade our son's  Opus 2 and had bet on the possibility of having sonnet 2 avalaible by 2019 as apparently could happen. During last summer we decided to repair one of his Opus 2s out of our pocket in order not to waste the every 7 yrs chance to upgrade freely that spanish  social security provides. Hope sonnet 2 could be a reality soon as Opus 2 is supposed not to be repaired anymore therefore, if anyone of my son's opus2 had any problem we would be forced to upgrade to Sonnet 1. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@VictorR

I understand.  The timing of new processor releases impacts us a lot.  I hope the timing works out for your son.  I have OPUS 2 processors and also received a letter in the US about the OPUS 2 becoming obsolete.  

How is your son doing with his CI?

He is doing great with his opus2 XS. We are very happy with them and would be only missing bluetooth connectivity and water resistance... Thanks!