Feb/March/April 2019 CI surgery and/or activation

Mary Beth

Hi Mary Beth,you asked me recently about what online sites my audiologist told me about to work on my listening here at home? These are on the list she gave me,that are free,but there were others that l can buy if ll choose to. 1)Soundscape,2)Angel Sound3)The Listening Room 4)Audio Concentration/Matching game 5) Randall`s ESL Cyber Listening Lab. 

1.www,medel.com/us/Soundscape 

2 angelsound.tigerspeech.com

3thelisteningroom.com

4 www.manythings.org/ac/

5 www.esl-lab.com

Also,l have a question: in some of the brochures l recieved,I saw that some folks clean the battery compartment with a q-tip dipped in alcohol? That wasn't mentioned at my activation visit.Should l be doing this? Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

Med-El shows us how to clean battery contacts with qtips and a small amount of rubbing alcohol on their YouTube channel.

I am not sure how often it is recommended.

On 2/12/2019 at 5:06 PM, Kylie said:

My doctor said I can expect to take a week off work - my job is mostly office based, with some driving and large group meetings.

When I do get my date, I will have to rearrange some work things (like training days that I facilitate). So far I am planning on returning to normal work after a week...

Do you think this seems accurate, for those who have experienced the CI surgery?

I took a week off from both surgeries. It would be fantastic to have the surgery on a Friday so you have 2 days more of recovery. My first one was on Friday but my second one was on Wednesday. 

On 2/11/2019 at 11:07 PM, Monte said:

Hi John L. congratulations for getting a surgery date. It's really a breeze. Plan for about a week of some discomfort, but not terrible. Maybe its because we have this huge hope of getting some hearing back. Just read how great @granniPeggy is doing and you will be stoked for your turn. I can't wait until my activation. Only 10 days away!

Thanks Monte. Appreciate it. The whole thing is a bit scary and overwhelming but I need to get it done. I just wish I could get it done sooner so I could start working on rehab. Patience is not one of my strengths. 

Me either! In fact, my activation was supposed to be Thursday February 21st. But I called my audiologist and told them that I could stand by in case they get a cancellation. And sure enough they had one for tomorrow! Yay! I get to hear some sound in my right ear for the first time in over 18 years!

• Like 3

I'm taking my 10 year old daughter with me to my activation tomorrow. She will record it. I am so excited! Low expectations, but sky high hopes!!!

• Like 3

Okay!!!! It Freakin works!!! I was activated today and it is amazing! So many wow moments already!!! My latest wow moment is hearing the wine pouring into my celebration glass!

My Audiologist said I'm a rock star! I could make out words within about 5 minutes. Check out the two videos below.

https://youtu.be/oabi-7ddjO4

https://youtu.be/e6PYT6sivlY

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Yay @Monte!  I watched your videos.  You are off to a fabulous start!  Enjoy listening with your CI!  Keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow @Monteyou had an amazing activation! You're definitely a rock star with that activation! You were smart to upload your vids to YouTube. Mine got corrupted on my phone.

Please keep us posted about your progress. 

First day "WOW" moments.

-The wine pouring in my glass

- My daughter said, "I love you Daddy" and I understood it!

-The rustling of a plastic bag

-Steak sizzling on the grill.

-Throwing a handful of stones and hearing them hit the ground 20 feet away

-The sound of water from the tap running into the sink

-I could rub my fingers together and hear it in my right ear

OMG this is great!

Thank you to the mentors on this site. Especially the three super stars; @Jewel, and @Mary Beth, and @Mary Featherston! You are all so wonderful for us newbies getting ready to embark on this incredible journey. Thanks! You are the BEST!

• Like 4

• HearPeers Heroes

@Monte

I'm no superstar. I just like paying it forward. We are all in this together. 

Your journey has just started and look at how exciting it has been already! Enjoy it to the max. The best is yet to come 😊

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Monte

I am so happy for you!  This is just the beginning.  It gets even better!

Isn’t it refreshing to be excited about your hearing?

We are all in this together and paying it forward like @Jewel said.

Keep us posted!  Fun days in store for you and your new ear!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Monte your activation was GREAT!  At that point in mine my husband and I were both crying.

This is just the start!

Still doing great! It is getting a little better day by day. Still sounds very mechanical and high pitched. I go in next Friday for some mapping. hoping that will help. But I am very pleased with the initial results. I'm just too impatient! Wondering how @Shaun and @GranniPeggy are doing?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Great @Monte!  The sound quality will improve.  It’s early days still.

On 2/13/2019 at 5:26 PM, JohnL said:

Thanks Monte. Appreciate it. The whole thing is a bit scary and overwhelming but I need to get it done. I just wish I could get it done sooner so I could start working on rehab. Patience is not one of my strengths. 

My surgery date has been moved up to March 12 (it was 3/29). They want to wait a month before activation but I’m hoping for 2-3 weeks. What are most people’s experience regarding timing if activation after surgery?  Aside from the incision, does anything else have to “heal” before I’ll be ready (e.g. anything inside the cochlea or near the internal magnet?). I want to get this done!

thanks. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnL

That’s terrific that your surgery date has been moved up!

Both of my activations were 3.5 weeks post surgery.