Neckloop for Roger Pen

Lita

I was implanted (Synchrony implant/Sonnet processor) in my right ear in July 2017 and activated in August 2017. In October 2018 I re-introduced my Siemens hearing aid (purchased in 2014) in my left ear.  The hearing aid is not wireless but it does have a telecoil. I want to be able to listen to my TV using the telecoils in both hearing aid and Sonnet. I thought I would purchase an Artone MAX neckloop which I hoped to use with my Roger Pen that came with my MED-EL patient kit. Earlier today I found a message train in HearPeers that says that the two cannot be used together but now I can't find it! The Roger Pen website seems to say that only a My Link neckloop (very expensive!) made by the same company that produces the Roger Pen will work together. How annoying. Mary Beth, if you are reading this, did you buy an Artone transmitter in addition to your Artone MAX neckloop to listen to your TV? Does anyone have any advice for me? Thank you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Lita

You are correct.  Roger devices ONLY work with Roger devices.  So your Roger Pen would need to use the ROGER MYLINK neckloop receiver.  @Jdashiell recently purchased one. 

But you have other options too.

Do you have a Roger receiver for your Sonnet?  If yes, you can ask your HA audiologist how much a Roger receiver costs for your HA.  Roger has receivers that work with most HA brands.  Then you could use your Roger Pen, Sonnet Roger receiver and HA Roger receiver to hear the TV.

You can also use a room loop or a pillow/cushion loop with your TV and just put your Sonnet and HA on MT or T.

You can use an Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop with an Artone TV transmitter and put both Sonnet and HA on MT or T.

Thank you, Mary Beth. I have given your suggested options some thought. I wore out my first FM battery cover by switching frequently between the Roger X receiver and the FM direct audio cable, and it was replaced under warranty (no charge to me). It stays connected to the FM direct audio cable. About the same time I purchased another FM battery cover and it stays connected to the Roger X.  No wear on the connectors this way. But now that I'm using my hearing aid in the other ear, I wanted to try a neckloop option so I don't have to change out so often.  For audiobooks, nothing beats the FM direct audio cable for sound quality, in my view. But then, I haven't tried the Artone 3 MAX neckloop, so I will probably go with your last option. Thanks again, you always give such good advice.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lita

Sound quality is hard to beat when using a direct cable connection but the comfort and ease of use makes the Artone neckloop my favorite option.  Let us know what you think when you try it!  Good luck.