2nd CI

Anita C.

I had my 2nd CI surgery on Tuesday, March 19 on my left side.. The surgery went well with no dizziness or nausea at all this time. I had my first CI surgery in August of 2017. It has been a really exciting adventure. However, now  I'm having a really difficult time hearing with just the CI on my right side. Sounds are distorted, I can't tell where they come from and noise in a restaurant or any kind of noisy setting drives me nuts. My activation date is Wednesday, April 3. I'm wondering what kind of experiences others have had after their second surgery? Is part of it just having hearing on one side? I'd appreciate hearing about the experiences of others.

Thanks -

Anita C.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Anita C.

Congratulations on your second CI!  Bilateral CIs are awesome.

It takes awhile to train each CI separately for speech and together for speech.  Check out our REHAB topic for great suggestions.

I had been using only my first CI for a few months before the second CI surgery so I did not experience a decrease in listening ability while awaiting the second CI surgery.  After my second CI was activated, listening temporarily got more difficult while my second side was settling in.  Once it clicked, things took off and got so much better than listening with one CI.  It was a journey and I benefited from working on aural rehab every day.

Hang in there.  Things will get better.  Meanwhile when you feel up to it, you can work on some aural rehab on your first side to make listening easier for you.  It really pays off.

Wishing you the best!

On 3/23/2019 at 5:05 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Anita C.

Congratulations on your second CI!  Bilateral CIs are awesome.

It takes awhile to train each CI separately for speech and together for speech.  Check out our REHAB topic for great suggestions.

I had been using only my first CI for a few months before the second CI surgery so I did not experience a decrease in listening ability while awaiting the second CI surgery.  After my second CI was activated, listening temporarily got more difficult while my second side was settling in.  Once it clicked, things took off and got so much better than listening with one CI.  It was a journey and I benefited from working on aural rehab every day.

Hang in there.  Things will get better.  Meanwhile when you feel up to it, you can work on some aural rehab on your first side to make listening easier for you.  It really pays off.

Wishing you the best!

Mary Beth, thanks for taking the time to write me. It helped a lot. I had been using my CI and the hearing aid in the other ear, however, often I would go half a day with just the CI. I also often watched tv with just the cI and heard quite well. Since the second surgery I've really struggled to hear. Often language just sounded like gibberish to me. However, things are slowly improving. I had my surgery Tuesday, March 19. Sunday the 24th I started making sense of more speech. Whew! I also started doing the Angelsounds exercises and MedEl Soundscape. Fortunately I get activated on April 3. I know that will be a big adjustment but receiving sound in both ears should help. I can do this!

Anita

• HearPeers Heroes

@Anita C.

You definitely can do this!  It is not easy, but most definitely rewarding as you know.  If you have an iPad, check out AB CLIX.  It is free and my favorite app to work through.  It helped me a lot.

Kerp us posted.  We are rooting for you!

Thanks for the advice. I do have an iPad and will check it out right now. I'll stay in touch.