crosstalk with HA and CI

mgfiest

I have been experimenting with my surround sound system.

What I do I put the volume down to the level so that the CI is my primary listener.

The CI is connect with the roger pen that is directly connected to the source (stereo system).

The HA listens to the surround sound.

In the beginning of this process, the CI is in control of the sound and all is good.

About 30 minutes or so, I start getting crosstalk. the talking on my CI becomes lost and I get part of the conversation.

The HA becomes the Primary hearing device.

Is my CI side still trying to learn to hear, or is there something else going on?

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

Most HAs are compatible with the Roger Pen If your audiologist gets you set up with the appropriate Roger receiver for your HA.  That would deliver the same Roger sound to each side.

When we use Roger connected to a TV we alter our ability to benefit from surround sound.  The Roger sends the signal directly to our Roger receiver and that signal is louder than the audio coming through our processor and HA mics.  

Possibly a way to test whether your CI side is becoming fatigued at the 30 minute point or if something else is going on, is to use ONLY your CI to listen to the TV through your Roger System and see what happens after 30 minutes.  What do you think?

@mary beth

I can go all day with just the CI and have not issues. 

What I do find with only the CI, when it gets to be a noisy environment, the voices tense to jumble up.

I do not what my HA to be connected to the roger pen and I really don't want to have my CI connected to the roger pen (as per my TV issues thread)

So right not it like faking a surround sound environment until I find out what going on with my CI.

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

Do you have a program in adaptive mic setting?  I have my main program in omni (since I prefer omni over natural mic setting) and then that same program in adaptive mic setting in a different program slot.  It works great for me in noise.  It does best if we position the noise behind us.

@mary beth

I got all the programs but I did not think they work when you are using the Roger Pen

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

You are correct.  But you must keep in mind that the Roger Pen ONLY works in tabletop mode (set on a table and picking up voices around the table) in environments LESS THAN 70 dB.  Most restaurants exceed 70 dB.  This is something that is not usually explained well to users.  Phonak has this info on their website.

So if someone is in an environment that is 70 dB or more (which is quite common for noisy places) and sets the Roger Pen on a table......the Roger Pen automatically switches to picking up only the sound it is pointed at (which oftentimes is someone’s cup).

Using the Roger Pen in environments of 70 dB or more requires someone wearing the Pen or the user pointing the Pen.

The Roger Select does not have this limitation and has more advanced microphone technology.

If the Roger Pen is active and the Roger 21 is on the Sonnet, the Sonnet will only operate in omni mic mode.  

It may be worth experimenting by not using the Roger Pen and just switching the Sonnet to your adaptive program (positioning most noise behind you).  Just a thought.  It works great for me. 

Did more testing....

I find the clarity with the Roger Pen is way better than without the Roger Pen.

Am I assuming with out the Roger Pen the distance from the TV speakers could be the factor?

OR is the Roger Pen picking up more frequencies to give me better clarity.?

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

The Roger Pen/receiver is boosting just the TV sound (not room sounds) and delivering to your processor without going through the mics.  It is a different sound quality than sounds processed through the  processor mics.