going Bilateral

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara

did you get approved for your second CI?  I sure hope so.

• HearPeers Heroes

No but the meetings for the team are in the fall. So. I will hear in the next few months. Fingers crossed and praying!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

I am way late to the party on this thread. I agree completely with Marybeth and Ivana. I am bilateral sequential as well. I had my first implant activated for a few months before having surgery and activation of 2nd. I personally tried to wear my first processor as little as possible to force my brain to start recognizing the 2nd implant. I did practice separately and with both. 

Pit is beyond my understanding why on earth an Audi would not recommend a 2nd implant, unless there was some type of physical issue that would make it not worth the trouble

• HearPeers Heroes

My Audi is in board. She says I did way more training than most people. ( in her experience) nothing like Mary Beth om sure!! It needs approval of the whole team. Drs and audis and however is on the team. 

• HearPeers Heroes

... And doctors, usually do not see the results after a long period of rehabilitation... A circle is closed...

Or, there are discussions, whether person who hasn't heard for a longer period of time can reach the bilateral integration - my clinical engineer, for instance, didn't think (at first) that I am a candidate for a second BB up to the point we had a small test... They usually think that integration is something what is worth of achieving. Unless this is impossible, they usually give up.

• HearPeers Heroes

You don't know unless you try. If there was even 1% chance, I would still give it a go. Granted insurance might not be so willing to cover it, which would end it right then for me.

it just seems to me, there is enough to at least try. You never know what will happen

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly and I have nothing to lose. It will go anyway. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Me too - still haven`t gave up... And I do not have an intention...:D

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, I know it's a govt. decision, maybe present it as research and your country leading they way in this area?

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually... It is even worse - my government totally failed ... Still do not finance even unilateral implantation... :rolleyes::(

I will try a different approach... 

• HearPeers Heroes

Never say never. For years here in the U.S. Insurance didn't cover CI's. If they did, it was VERY strict criteria. And no bilateral surgeries. We have come a long way. Don't give up hope Ivana

• HearPeers Heroes

You have nothing without hope. Be patient. You're a dr so it might be hard!! Lol ?

• HearPeers Heroes
On 14. rujna 2016. at 5:23 AM, Kara of Canada said:

You have nothing without hope. Be patient. You're a dr so it might be hard!! Lol ?

Well... I am not alone here - there are people who need to continue with their lives... I am trying to put myself in theirs shoes... And I can't imagine myself...

When there was a rough time and there was pretty realistic possibility to fade into my "hard of hearingness" (it is not quite deafness, however) I do not know how I would continue with my life. It is very rough in the society which doesn't give you much chances to reconnect. On the other side, people are very judgemental: What do you do in this business if you do not ....... (fill with whatever you wish...). I am not proud but I have achieved some of my dreams by not telling everything without "cum granum salis". I wouldn't be allowed to be what I am today ... 

• HearPeers Heroes
On 13. rujna 2016. at 11:13 PM, Adam said:

Never say never. For years here in the U.S. Insurance didn't cover CI's. If they did, it was VERY strict criteria. And no bilateral surgeries. We have come a long way. Don't give up hope Ivana

I never give up of hope, Adam .... Life has taught me to respect what I do not understand, learn what is hidden and - carrying a big stick ;):

to understand a difference so I can bypass hurdles in front of me... This became my life style... My surname translated to English means - Marine, so Adam: ooh rah! :ph34r:

Semper fidelis! ^_^