Travel with CI’s

DarlaHS

I’m preparing to travel for the first time since receiving my implants. I will be traveling by plane from Kentucky to North Carolina. 

I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with. Just so you know I have the Sonnet and Rondo 2.

Does it matter which pair I wear on the plane?  Any special precautions needed when going through security or TSA? How do I pack my CI’s and all the needed accessories?                                          

Thanks for reading. Anything else you think of that could help I would appreciate.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @DarlaHS

I have both Sonnet and Rondo2 and have travelled by plane many times since CI surgery. 

Pack your spare processor in the small travel bag Med-El gave you in your activation kit. Put that bag as well as all CI accessories in your hand luggage, as you don't want to check them in at the counter and the luggage gets lost. I personally put mine in a backpack. I don't put them in other hand luggage since if the overhead storage is packed I may he asked to check my hand luggage. But I'm able to just put the backpack under the seat before me. 

I wear the processor through the metal detector and body scanner. But I put it on the least used program just in case it gets corrupted. It doesn't matter which one you wear through the scanner. 

You can tell the TSA rep that you're wearing CIs but they most likely won't treat you differently. 

You can request preboarding at the gate since you're deaf. That way you are able to stow all your luggage close to you. 

Since getting my CI I no longer like window seats, but that's just me. 

Enjoy your trip. The airport will be a breeze! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - do you let them xray your backpack with the other processor in it?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Yes I do. Two processors in the backpack are xrayed while the other one stays on my head and goes through the scanner or metal detector. I have had no issues whatsoever. 

Initially I would give them all to the screener to inspect but after seeing what is done plus they could drop them I decided to just keep them in the backpack. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - excellent, thank you.  I'll be flying for vacation in a month or so, that's good info.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Just don't have plastic in the backpack as Med-El says to avoid anything that can generate static while the stuff are being xrayed. Or at least that was my understanding. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting.  The carrying case from Med-El is plastic.  So's my camera, my phone, my Kindle.

Maybe I should just have them inspect 'em.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have flown many times with my implants.  I keep my processors on my head and turned on and go through the regular TSA process.  I have never had any problems nor heard any unpleasant sounds.  I always travel with backup processors and supplies in the travel cases that Med-El included in the kits.  I place those travel cases in my backpack and it goes through the carryon luggage scanner.  Like @Jewel, I keep everything related to my CIs in my backpack so it is always close by.

Have a great trip @Mary Featherston.

• Like 1

You can get ESD/Antistatic bags to put the CI in which can help prevent the buildup of static electricity.

• HearPeers Heroes

@DarlaHS

I love window seats but after CI Surgery I found that when I got off the plane, I wasn't hearing well with the CI and things didn't improve for an hour or so. 

So I now opt for the aisle seat. Have had no problem since. 

• HearPeers Heroes
23 hours ago, Jewel said:

@DarlaHS

I love window seats but after CI Surgery I found that when I got off the plane, I wasn't hearing well with the CI and things didn't improve for an hour or so. 

So I now opt for the aisle seat. Have had no problem since. 

Huh.  I wouldn't have though of that.  We used to always try to get one of the rows with just two seats, so it's a window and an aisle, and I always sat in the window seat.  This time we're in the middle (the plane's seat layout is three-three-three and we're in the middle which means no windows).  I was feeling kind of whiny about it -  mean, I booked the flights six months in advance and all we could get is middle seats in row 56?  But maybe not so much now.

• HearPeers Heroes

I do fine in window seats with my processors on even on long flights.  So everyone’s experience with that may be unique.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Mary Beth - it makes sense, everything else about our CI experiences vary!  But apparently I'm going to have to either book my flights more than six months in advance, or go somewhere else. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth Exactly!  I usually start planning the next one as soon as we're home.

When I. Fly I request aisle seat I let the flight crew know I am hearing impaired depending on the flight crew I’ve have received some extra service like trying to get me up front sitting in the aisle so getting me off the plan before everyone else.

Flight crew wants to know just in case and in my case I am not a airline passenger favorite person I am a very nervous passenger 

rI called America Airlines to ensure that my seats are all on the aisle. The receptionist transferred me to an operator within “Special Seating “. 

I explained that I have Cochlear Implants and will need to sit in a aisle seat. I was given upgraded seats to aisle seats and she ensured every seat was away from the engine. 

They see being deaf as a disability, even though I don’t. But because of this, I was not charged extra for these upgrades. 

All airlines do this. When you call reservations simply ask to speak to someone in special sitting. Explain you wear Cochlear Implants and cannot sit near window and the engine. 

@Jewel I hope this helps you and others as you fly. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @DarlaHSthat is great news! I usually fly American and always buy a ticket that allows me to choose my seat. Are you saying that if we buy Basic Economy American will upgrade our seats for free so that we can fly comfortably with our CIs?

I wonder how that would go with the American staff in Jamaica. Maybe they won't be so accommodating. But I should still check. Thanks much. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I was looking in other post where we commented last week about it, but unfortunately the link on there was broken. However, I share the link of other thread.

MED EL hava a blog post where talk about travle with the device

https://blog.medel.com/traveling-with-a-cochlear-implant/

In my last trip, the staff at airport avoid pass to me between x-ray detector,  and checked me personally. MED EL said our implants and processors are ready for these devices, but probably other brands are no yet.

When @Jewel you travel, do you take both types of processors?

I have both sonnets and rondos. Is it better to take both?

I take both Rondo and Sonnets.I am bilateral I have a pair of Sonnets and one Rondo so if I wear Rondo I wear the the other Sonnet.

I carry both types of processor with me as I’ve found each perform different in different environments. I trave a lot mostly by car and I find Rondo works very well I can hear radio and my wife vey well. Sonnets for the plane for me

• HearPeers Heroes

@DarlaHS

When I travel I always bring back up processors so if something goes wrong with a processor, I can use my back up and deal with it when I return home.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @DarlaHS

I travel with all my processors if I'm going out of town or abroad. Better to be prepared than sorry.