@JohnL

Not for aural rehab, but for help understanding speech on your trip.  This will turn speech to text.  It’s pretty good.  Test it out at home first.  It is free.

F47FE933-8399-4C8A-A723-770DFCBEDD09.jpeg

@JohnL you could put an audiobook or two on your phone to listen to while you're there.

@JohnL

Maybe I misunderstood your post.  I thought you were anxious about being able to understand people speaking to you on your trip since it is so early in your CI journey.  That’s why I posted a speech to text app that may help.  Sorry if I misunderstood.  Have a great vacation.

@Mary Beth

you didn't misunderstand. I am concerned about my lack of progress in understanding speech (I don't even want to talk about how horrible music sounds). And it's both English and French because most of our tours and onboard staff speak English. We are in Paris for three days before boarding the ship and understanding French would be a challenge even if I could hear well :).  So your suggestion is helpful. Thanks. 

@JohnL

That app will listen to French speech and convert to English text.  It may be helpful.

Enjoy your trip. Which river cruise line did you choose?  That’s on our to do list too.

After you return home if you would like help with aural rehab, let me know.  

It will get better.  Hang in there.

15 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

That is a good message to all CI users. It gets better over time. 

Patience, practice and perseverance 

the more you work at it helps too. 

Joe

21 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@JohnL

That app will listen to French speech and convert to English text.  It may be helpful.

Enjoy your trip. Which river cruise line did you choose?  That’s on our to do list too.

After you return home if you would like help with aural rehab, let me know.  

@Mary Beth

we are sailing on the Seine with Amawaterways. The highlight is a day at Normandy beach. 

I have been doing aural rehab by reading an audio book and with Clix and Angel sounds every day. And I will continue to do so on our trip. 

Sounds like a lovely trip @JohnL!

@JohnL which beach will you go to - Omaha?

@Mary Featherston

sorry for the delay but we just returned from France. Yes, we did Omaha beach and the American cemetery. Breathtaking!

i couldn’t understand a word the guide was saying but just seeing what our brave troops faced was mind boggling. 

@JohnL I was talking to a friend today.  Her brother has made a friend of one of the soldiers who was part of the invasion at Juno Beach.  He is taking this guy back for the 75th anniversary of the invasion.  Harry will get to take part in the festivities and there will be flights of period fighter planes.  They are making a particularly big deal this time because the farther we get from D-Day, the fewer veterans of the landings are still around to be part of it.  I was really glad to hear that my friend's brother is taking this guy back to France so he can be there.

@Mary Beth

a question about aural rehab. I have been using Clix and Angelsounds and I can do very well when I see the words in front of me - scoring from 85-100%. However, I have started to close my eyes before the word is spoken and my results plummet to 20-30%. I often can come close so I know my phonemic score would be somewhat higher. The question is this - should I continue to work with my eyes closed or is it best to see the words to better understand?  

@JohnL

try level 1 in CLIX with eyes closed and see how that works.

We need repeated success  to train our brains.  Work in a way that gives you success.

Ok. I had completed level 8 and was working on 9. But I can go back to 1 and see what happens. Thanks. 

@Mary Beth

I had forgotten how “easy” level 1 was. Well, I guess it wasn’t easy when I started!

i can come a lot closer with identifying the words at that level with my eyes closed. 

Terrific @JohnL!

You have come a long way already and it will just keep on getting better and better.

I suggest you continue with level 8 eyes open and start at level 1 and progress up as you can with eyes closed.

@Mary Beth

thanks. I’ll try that. How do you feel about angelsounds?  They don’t have different levels per se so it’s harder to see a progression. Should I just stick with one app instead of switching off?

@JohnL

I used both apps, CLIX and iAngel Sound.  You can change the settings in iAngel Sound to control the difficulty.  

Most difficult is choosing

6 word choices

minimal contrast

do it for initial, medial and final

I use 25 trials.

8F5C9BCC-E17E-413A-8BC4-93F16B718246.png