How have your CIs changed you?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Oftentimes we say our CIs have been life changing.  How have your CIs changed you?

• HearPeers Heroes

A return to smiling

Sometimes I am not even aware of something my hearing loss had taken from me until my wonderful hearing with my CIs reminds me.  That happened today.

I smiled at a gentleman in the elevator and we chatted about how he moved to Florida from the midwest 30 years ago.  I smiled at a mother with a young daughter on the beach and she chatted about a jellyfish she saw for the first time.  Not life changing conversations.  But I realized that many years ago I stopped smiling at strangers for fear that they would start talking to me and I would be left struggling to understand them.  It’s nice to be able to smile at people again and feel confident if they start a conversation.  I love my CIs

• HearPeers Heroes

Dear friends,

@Joan

@Jdashiell

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@mgfiest

@Valentin

@Cara Mia

@VeroNika

@MallaRuth

@Jewel

@sassychele02

@Mary Featherston

I have found that my hearing loss over the past decades  has come to define me. I’m that guy that wears hearing aids. 

No they are cochlear implants

i do a lot of explaining 

==========

losing my hearing gradually was like going to college  I graduated with My last set of HAs.

getting CIs was graduating with a PhD in hearing loss.

i have learned so much over the years and am still learning 

I am a student of hearing loss - that’s who I am

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

You are a student of hearing loss AND a teacher of cochlear implants!  Smile.

Congratulations on your PhD!  Smile It does feel like we are always learning!

My hearing lost was compensated with 2 HA, but with one it was only a directional finder. Over the years it deteriorated to NR."

When I went to get my CI, they said .. can't do government rules.. well I can't take no for an answer, so I was told look elsewhere, which I did and they said.. NO PROBLEM... hmmmm same government 2 answers. Took my trusty letter to my first CI center and said.. OH YES YOU CAN.... 

Now my directional ear finder is now a working hearing ear and it is amazing to have someone on my "bad" side and be able to listen to what they are saying to me.

This has truly made me respect sound at a totally different level.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, remarkably.  My hearing had deteriorated to the point that I was not functioning well at all with hearing aids.  Now at work I rarely miss what's said in meetings - before I assumed I missed at least half, though I was good at following from context.

As mgfiest says, having someone talk to what used to be a deaf ear is quite an experience!  Just being able to have the little interchanges that hearing people take for granted - a short exchange with a co-worker in the hallway, or a discussion with my husband without stress OR shouting. 

I have a little seating area on one end of our bedroom where I keep my laptop and when I sit there I often need to close the door because Ron's TV in the living room gets annoying.  Which - honestly, I hadn't even been able to hear it before, let alone be bugged by stupid TV show theme songs and whatnot. 

It's a whole new life.

• HearPeers Heroes

My CI has definitely changed me for the better. 

I'm far more independent. I don't need people to make or take phone calls for me. I don't dread using the phone anymore. 

I also find that I am more chatty. I think I had become a recluse since my hearing went bad. Now I want to go out more and enjoy life more. I have already bought tickets for two live concerts, something that was unthinkable for several years. 

I love being able to hear over an intercom. 

I don't have to be fearful when I go to KFC and wait for my number to be called. 

It's like a burden has literally been lifted off my shoulders. 

This week I realised that I would be better off with two CIs but even with one I have come a very long way! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel same here with the intercoms.  I had to go renew my driver's license today and there was quite a long wait.  But this is the first time in ages that I've been able to hear them call the ticket numbers and say what window to go to.  🙂