Adapting with different electrode lengths?

Watersail

I am curious about the different electrode lengths. If someone who is bi-lateral and has different electrode lengths between the left and right cochleas, do they experience increased difficulties in processing sound into speech since it is not symmetrical?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

I have a medium electrode array, which is 24 mm, on the right and a flex 28, which is 28 mm, on the left.  They work great together and are very balanced.

My surgeons selected the most appropriate electrode array for each cochlea.

That's great! Do you notice any difference in performance/sound quality between the Flex24 versus the Flex28?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

I don’t have the flex 24.  I have the stiffer medium electrode array which happens to also be 24 mm long.

No.  I do not notice any difference.  Both are great.  I will give you a link to a video Med-El filmed where I describe my electrode arrays.  They are the reason I chose Med-El.

Oops, sorry, I misread and thought you had the Flex24. But, that is an awesome video. I'm glad to see you've been very successful with your bi-lateral implants and it serves as inspiration. I'm looking forward to my "wow" moments as well.

I have a feeling my better half will be sneaky and try to trick me with Pacific/specific....  😄

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

That would be a very sneaky trick to play!

When is your CI surgery?  One side? Which processor did you choose?

@Watersail

• Like 1

Surgery is on May 21st on the left side. I opted for the Sonnet over the Rondo2 as it is more full-featured and adaptable.

• Like 2