May, June, July, August 2019 CI surgery and/or activation

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Time to update who we can cheer on in the coming months!

If you have CI surgery or CI activation coming up, reply and tell us when your exciting day is so we can cheer you on!

Surgery on May 21st, activation on May 31st.

Good luck everyone!

• Like 2

Tx everybody! exciting time to come tomorrow! But also afraid!:O

• HearPeers Heroes

Understandable @soojjan!  Let us know how it goes.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Percy

I am so excited for you!

• HearPeers Heroes

JULY & AUGUST

@Percy second CI activation July 1

@Karen fudge first CI surgery July 3

@Carolmarie second CI activation July 6

@Rita Marquez second CI activation July 10

@Sandy123 first CI activation July 16

@MrVe9as first CI activation July 30

@Evren AND mother both first CI surgery August 21 (choosing Rondo 2)

Let me know if I have any errors and if I’m missing anyone who wants to join in.  Exciting times on HearPeers!

• HearPeers Heroes

So far I can definitely hear a range of sounds, though they are not clear. What I can hear the most is 'sharp' sounds like crumpling plastic, clapping hands etc. My husband thinks it's funny as I keep visibly startling at such noises around me. 

Also I've noticed that even in one day I have started to tune out the buzzing sound for periods of time, I just don't always notice it. Which I guess is progress in itself? And it's definitely lessened my awareness of tinnitus while wearing the processor so that's awesome.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Yay @Kylie

Baby steps! Things should improve within a week. When is your next mapping appointment? 

• HearPeers Heroes
2 hours ago, Jewel said:

Yay @Kylie

Baby steps! Things should improve within a week. When is your next mapping appointment? 

Next week is my next appointment. I have 4 programs to get through this week, every 2 days to change to the next one. I think they're just a bit louder each time.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

That is how my audiologist set my progressive MAPs too.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie yup, that's what I had too.  Good luck! You're doing great.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

It was the same for me! Things will change quickly! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie  How are you doing today?

@soojjan How did your activation go?

• HearPeers Heroes
1 minute ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie  How are you doing today?

@soojjan How did your activation go?

Good today! Went to work. Half the time I was aware of the buzzing and the other half I forgot about it completely. 

More interesting was choir last night. At the start I struggled to hear anything clearly at all and was very distracted. But as the evening progressed, I stopped noticing so much and my good ear gave me enough input to sing with everyone, as I have been doing since I lost the right hearing. Though my friends said I was quiet, which I didn't realise. I can't really tell about my own volume very well. Overall, I felt good about this first experience of making music. I was very nervous as I really care about being able to sing and my expectations were low at this early stage (I thought it would be completely overwhelming and was prepared to leave if I couldn't cope.) In reality it was much better than that! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Checking in on @Kylie and @soojjan!  How are things going?

I am very well, next appt tomorrow. Even though the sounds I get are electronic and not useful at this stage, I find it strangely comforting to have sound at all and I do prefer it to nothing.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

It gets better.  Good luck at your appt!

The same as Kylie says: it is comforting that there is some sound.I just finished my 2nd fitting. Now they have raised the sound considerably, but something useful: not yet.If I follow the subtitles of a film, I hear what is being said true the CI. Without subtitles not yet. I can hear some birds, but not all of them!:) tx for asking!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@soojjan Your journey has begun.  Keep notes about it.  It is fun to read back through the: later on.  So much changes during the first months.

• HearPeers Heroes

Week 2: Everything is so loud! No question that I'm getting plenty of input. And I got a different program for noisy environments, which was great in a restaurant today. Audiologist recommended this week to start on angel sounds, and also to watch videos with captions eg TED talks, documentaries - things with one speaker to follow. Very interesting indeed! Can't yet tell what words are being said without looking at captions (I keep closing my eyes to test) but I can follow the general pattern of words if I can see them.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

Super!  By any chance did you download CLIX app on an iPad already?  If you did, try level 1 with your CI side alone.  Sounds like you will be able to do well on level 1 already.

If you didn’t already download CLIX, it is temporarily not available as it is being updated. You can use the level A rehab sheets I posted with a partner.  They are the same skill as level 1 in CLIX.

Enjoy!  And keep us posted.