May, June, July, August 2019 CI surgery and/or activation

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes
2 hours ago, Watersail said:

Freshly activated, so I started with my expectation super low. All 12 electrodes are in good health and active. Currently, I hear everything super, super high pitched, like everything is beyond helium. I can detect syllables, but can't differentiate speech or distinguish different layered noises yet. Time to learn how to hear all over again :)

Yes, indeed, the first couple of weeks can be quite a ride.  Buckle up - but you will soon begin to notice improvements!  Have fun.

• HearPeers Heroes

It is a crazy, terrific journey!  I look forward to hearing all about your WOW moments!  Congratulations @Watersail

Getting activated Wednesday, June 5!😋  My surgery was May 15.  I am still having some discomfort wearing my glasses due to sensitivity over the surgery site.  My husband observes that the implant may have made my head wider and that is causing tightness with the glasses.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Otherwise, I'm geeked for the turn on!

• HearPeers Heroes
On 5/1/2019 at 3:09 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie first CI activation  May 1

@soojjan first CI activation May 2

@Watersail first CI surgery May 21 and activation May 31

@lizjlong first CI activated May 21

@Carolmarie second CI May 31

@Lynn Agnes first activation June 5

@Percy second CI surgery June 7

@Rita Marquez second CI surgery June 26

@Carolmarie second CI activated July 6

Let me know if I have any errors and if I’m missing anyone who wants to join in.  Exciting times on HearPeers!

Updated June 3rd

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynn Agnes

Some people put a piece of moleskin between their incision area and glasses until the area is not sore.  Wishing you the best at activation!  Which processor are you getting?

Thanks for your good wishes!  I am getting the Sonnet.  I have good hearing in my right ear but lost the hearing in my left ear about four years ago, so looking forward to hearing in stereo again, eventually!  I am ready for the world to sound like munchkins or R2D2 or sounds from another planet, at least in the short term! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynn Agnes

It is a wild and crazy ride!  Smile!  I look forward to hearing all about your return to stereo sound!

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck on your activation, @Lynn Agnes!  That's when the fun starts.  Right after my surgeries I wrapped my glasses earpieces in gauze - or actually, just ended up with this soft medical tape (Nexcare) (If I can make a plug for our products!)  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

@Percy

Thinking of you today and wishing you the best!  Let us know how it goes.

Thanks so much for asking!  Since I have good hearing in my right ear and used to ignoring tinnitus in my left ear, I'm finding it's easy for me to ignore the computer type tone and echos that are coming from the left implant.  My audiologist said my job for the first week is to wear it as much as I can and get used to the input coming into my left ear.  This has not been a problem.  I do feel like I'm ready for a bigger challenge, tho and look forward to whatever instructions she gives me next week!  I have played around a little with wearing an earplug in my good ear.  Will keep you posted.

• Like 2

Hello everyone,  My implant surgery is June 20, 2019 at  University  Hospital in London Ont. I am trying to decide on the Sonnet processor or Rondo 2 that I do hope is available.

Any advice would be great.  Thank you

Sandy

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sandy123 first CI surgery June 20

Let me know if I have any errors and if I’m missing anyone who wants to join in.  Exciting times on HearPeers!

Updated June 7

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sandy123

Both Sonnet and Rondo 2 processors are great.  It really comes down to personal preference.  The majority of the way we hear depends on the internal components.  Here is my opinion....

Rondo 2 advantages include

-rechargeable battery that lasts all day

-ease of use

-form fitting waterwear cover

-no dry kit 

Sonnet 1 advantages include

-dual mics (adaptive mic setting is great in noise from behind us)

-is attached to our heads 2 places (coil and on the ear) so no tether is needed

-has built in 2.4 receiver for AudioLink BT intermediary device when it is released

-we hold the phone in a more natural position

I have Sonnets and Rondo 1 processors.  Everything that I can hear with Sonnets, I can hear with Rondos.  

Wishing you the best!  Let us know what you decide.

Thank you for this impute. I wear a re-sound hearing aid in my right ear. I really like the idea of nothing on my ear and I am leaning towards the Rondo 2. However with the 2 microphones

on the Sonnet, I wonder if I would benefit more choosing that and perhaps hear better in noisy environments?? Shame they don't have 2 microphones on the Rondo 2.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:28 AM, Mary Beth said:

Time to update who we can cheer on in the coming months!

If you have CI surgery or CI activation coming up, reply and tell us when your exciting day is so we can cheer you on!

4 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Sandy123

Both Sonnet and Rondo 2 processors are great.  It really comes down to personal preference.  The majority of the way we hear depends on the internal components.  Here is my opinion....

Rondo 2 advantages include

-rechargeable battery that lasts all day

-ease of use

-form fitting waterwear cover

-no dry kit 

Sonnet 1 advantages include

-dual mics (adaptive mic setting is great in noise from behind us)

-is attached to our heads 2 places (coil and on the ear) so no tether is needed

-has built in 2.4 receiver for AudioLink BT intermediary device when it is released

-we hold the phone in a more natural position

I have Sonnets and Rondo 1 processors.  Everything that I can hear with Sonnets, I can hear with Rondos.  

Wishing you the best!  Let us know what you decide.      Thank you for your impute.  I wear a resound hearing aid in my right

Surgery went well yesterday. Got my bandage off today. Not much pain today just a little ‘full’ feeling. 

Activation July 1st. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Percy  sounds great, glad you feel well.  Heal up!

• HearPeers Heroes

@JCB first CI activation June 27 

• HearPeers Heroes

That is terrific @Percy!  Rest easy.  Fun returns soon, as you well know!

• HearPeers Heroes

@JCB first CI activation June 27 

@Percy second CI activation July 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I am now 8 weeks since activation.

I am surprised to find that I already have a very clear preference for wearing my processor vs not. Even though its sound is still a bit strange and distorted (though getting better every week), it is FAR better than nothing. The combination of my normal ear with the implanted ear is pretty good in terms of stereo effect, overall volume, and feeling that the right side of my world actually exists. Every time I take it off for some brief reason I really feel that I'm missing something important and it's uncomfortable.

This is reassuring to me, and I am more committed than ever to making this work. I wonder if this resonates with others early in their progress too? 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

It’s terrific that you feel your processor has become a part of you and prefer to have it on.

@Nicole uses ADHEAR to gain access to sounds on her deaf side.  How do you feel when your ADHEAR is off Nicole?

I have forgotten to attach it a few mornings at school and I feel lost without it.  I try to wear it all waking hours.  It only comes off right before I go to bed and it is back on after my shower in the morning.  It just brings awareness to how much you miss if you are not wearing it.

• Like 2