Jump to content
Mary Beth

May, June, July, August 2019 CI surgery and/or activation

Recommended Posts

@Percy

Hope everything went well at activation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mary Beth activation went well. 

The audiologists said that they were concerned that the last electrode did not get fully inserted but wanted to try it anyway, I could immediately tell that something was different about this electrode and I was ‘feeling’ the sound so she just turned it off. All the other electrodes were fine and I could distinguish the pitch between each one. 

When they turned it on I could distinguish how many syllables the words were. Everyone sounded (and still does) like the chipmunks. When I have my left side off and only using my right side I can understand speech as long as I am reading lips. I have understood words on a news radio a few times too. 

When I got my first implant the sound was a big blur and it took about six months for me to be where I am today. I thank God that he has allowed me to hear this much already!

I am starting my rehab and have used the iAngelsound app. I also listen to news radio as well as preaching sermons with closed caption. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Percy

I am so happy you are off to such a great start!  Enjoy being bilateral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see someone else in here who was implanted in London as well. I am a Canadian who was implanted January and activated in February and decided on Sonnet over Rondo 2. Directional microphone was the reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are things going for you @Ricky?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was difficult beginning. 12 steps for electrodes and I chose stopping a bit too late. High frequency was something I haven’t learn all my life. I was born severe to profound and used hearing aid until this January. The 12 steps I did 3 times already, lol, it wasn’t easy for me. Some noises were just very different for me. Heard birds and I love that. I really like hearing birds. Speeches were difficult in beginning as you all know but I never heard consonant until after activation. That is still take some getting used to, so many words that I’m hearing correctly for first time. 

I have Roger pen that I use for tv and audiobook. The downside of my Roger pen is I can’t use Bluetooth for audiobook, had to be plugged into jack which I’m not understanding. iPhone and iPad has Libby app and can download audiobooks but Bluetooth won’t work with it. I tried other apps such as YouTube, gotta be plugged into jack. Bluetooth works for phone, that’s it. That’s something I don’t get with Roger pen, I must be doing something wrong. Unpaired and repair but it didn’t work. Gonna check out forums about it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just implanted at University Hospital London Ont. So far so good. I choose the Sonnet processor also along with the Roger Select. Activation day is July 16th, hoping for good things....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sandy123 said:

I was just implanted at University Hospital London Ont. So far so good. I choose the Sonnet processor also along with the Roger Select. Activation day is July 16th, hoping for good things....

Is Katherine your audiologist? I think they have more than one, I’m not sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes she is.   Very nice lady.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sandy123 said:

Yes she is.   Very nice lady.....

She helped me out a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ricky

You are not doing anything wrong with your Roger Pen.  (Roger Select works the same way too.)

Phonak Roger Systems that have BT are ONLY BT for phone calls.  Quite limiting in my opinion.  They require a cable for all other audio.

This is one reason so many members of HearPeers love the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.  It is BT for ALL audio.  Has a built in mic for hands free phone calls.  Works with all processors and hearing aids with telecoil.  Just switch to T via the FineTunet remote.  Great sound quality.  Can be purchased online via their website or Amazon etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wishing you the best @Sandy123!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mary Beth for the info on the Artone 3 Max BT. Honestly I have no clue about any of these FM systems. I hope to figure it out and I'll be looking into the Artone for sure...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Ricky

You are not doing anything wrong with your Roger Pen.  (Roger Select works the same way too.)

Phonak Roger Systems that have BT are ONLY BT for phone calls.  Quite limiting in my opinion.  They require a cable for all other audio.

This is one reason so many members of HearPeers love the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.  It is BT for ALL audio.  Has a built in mic for hands free phone calls.  Works with all processors and hearing aids with telecoil.  Just switch to T via the FineTunet remote.  Great sound quality.  Can be purchased online via their website or Amazon etc.

 

I was afraid of that and thank you, Mary Beth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ricky and @Sandy123

If you decide to purchase an Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop, you will get another benefit in addition to all audio streams via BT.  You will be able to get 100/0 mix ratio!  My favorite!  100% streaming audio (audiobook, podcast, music, video...) and absolutely zero environmental noise.

However Med-El is going to release the AudioLink, which is an intermediary streaming device for Sonnet.  It seems to work like the Roger System which requires a cable for streaming audio that is not a phone call.  So chat with your audiologist about both options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sandy123 said:

I was just implanted at University Hospital London Ont. So far so good. I choose the Sonnet processor also along with the Roger Select. Activation day is July 16th, hoping for good things....

She will turn on each electrode. First one was loud for me. I didn’t do it right because I didn’t understand what I supposed to do. I was supposed to stop her when it’s loud but comfortable. Beyond that, head bounces. Partly why papers were so loud for me the first week. I was unfamiliar with the last few electrodes which were in high frequency. Second visit, she turned off one electrode but turned back on at 3 months appointment. High frequency was my trouble for a while as I never heard them very well all my life. 

Im sure you will be more than fine, probably do better than I did, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to laugh I really have no clue about these things. But I will for sure ask Katherine in London about all this.  I hope to use audio books and perhaps read along with them as my surgeon suggested might be good training....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Ricky and @Sandy123

If you decide to purchase an Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop, you will get another benefit in addition to all audio streams via BT.  You will be able to get 100/0 mix ratio!  My favorite!  100% streaming audio (audiobook, podcast, music, video...) and absolutely zero environmental noise.

However Med-El is going to release the AudioLink, which is an intermediary streaming device for Sonnet.  It seems to work like the Roger System which requires a cable for streaming audio that is not a phone call.  So chat with your audiologist about both options.

I did wonder what the 100/0 mix ratio meant. I would really like that option better. Leave the background out while listening. I’m going to look into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thanks for this link....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2019 at 3:09 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie first CI activation  May 1

@soojjan first CI activation May 2

@Watersail first CI surgery May 21 and activation May 31

@lizjlong first CI activated May 21

@Carolmarie second CI May 31

@carmella416@hotmail.com first CI activated June 3

@Lynn Agnes first activation June 5

@Percy second CI surgery June 7

@MrVe9as first CI surgery June 11

@dongtuuyenblackpeony first CI surgery June 19

@Sandy123 first CI surgery June 20

@Rita Marquez second CI surgery June 26

@JCB first CI activation June 27 

@shinavn first CI surgery June 28

@Percy second CI activation July 1

@Carolmarie second CI activation July 6

@Rita Marquez second CI activation July 10

@Sandy123 first CI activation July 16

@MrVe9as first CI activation July 30

 

Let me know if I have any errors and if I’m missing anyone who wants to join in.  Exciting times on HearPeers!

Updated July 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Carolmarie

Wishing you the best at activation in a couple of days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting so excited 

only a wink away thank you very much 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2019 at 3:09 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie first CI activation  May 1

@soojjan first CI activation May 2

@Watersail first CI surgery May 21 and activation May 31

@lizjlong first CI activated May 21

@Carolmarie second CI May 31

@carmella416@hotmail.com first CI activated June 3

@Lynn Agnes first activation June 5

@Percy second CI surgery June 7

@MrVe9as first CI surgery June 11

@dongtuuyenblackpeony first CI surgery June 19

@Sandy123 first CI surgery June 20

@Rita Marquez second CI surgery June 26

@JCB first CI activation June 27 

@shinavn first CI surgery June 28

@Percy second CI activation July 1

@Karen fudge first CI surgery July 3

@Carolmarie second CI activation July 6

@Rita Marquez second CI activation July 10

@Sandy123 first CI activation July 16

@MrVe9as first CI activation July 30

 

Let me know if I have any errors and if I’m missing anyone who wants to join in.  Exciting times on HearPeers!

Congratulations on your surgery @Karen fudge!  When is your activation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One and a half more days to go

i am so excited

its been a long hard road with the first surgery in 2018 and no hearing

second surgery in May 2019 much better so I should do well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...