May, June, July, August 2019 CI surgery and/or activation

Mary Beth

On 7/16/2019 at 2:15 PM, Mary Beth said:

Wishing @Sandy123 the best on her first CI activation today!

@Rita Marquez Hope everything went great at your second CI activation a few days ago.  Enjoy the start of your bilateral journey.

@MrVe9as It’s getting closer to your first CI activation on July 30th!

Any other HearPeers member have special dates coming up?

Thank you, Mary Beth.  I think things will continue to improve.  I’ve have been experiencing a Ménière's Attack in my newly implanted ear.  But the steroid treatments are clearing it up.  Things should be fine soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rita Marquez

Sorry to hear about the meniere’s episode. I remember those days very well.  I hope it clears up soon.

My doctor said maybe the Ménière's will be less to none now that the implant is in place because there is a hole allowing drainage.  I hope after the initial healing, that will be so.  I feel better today.  Hopefully, this is it for this attack.  I still have an equilibrium problem.  But I hope resuming my walking and yoga will help my brain adjust and correct this.

I’m going for mapping on 31 July to start my journey to improving my hearing.  Excited!😆

Wishing everyone the best.  So far I am hearing and understanding speech so much better I can't believe

it... 🙂

I will see my Audi on tuesday

I hope for a good mapping

any idea on how to get rid of titinni 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Carolmarie

Good luck tomorrow at your appt.

Are you noticing the tinnitus when your processor is on or just when you remove it?

With and without

it is very loud musical at time

yesterday my head hurts so I didn’t wear my rondo2 the tinnitus was soft organ music all day

when I roll over in my sleep the tinnitus start up again so it take me a while to go back to sleep

i try to be strong and patient

i love my rondos I hear so much more just need the tinnitus gone

• HearPeers Heroes

3 month since activation! Wow how time flies! Time for an update.

I wear my processor every waking minute and never like taking it off. I feel like half the world goes dead if I do.

Every situation in my life is better with the processor than without. Including noisy rooms.

My tinnitus is gone when my processor is on.

I get to call myself a cyborg (and I encourage others in my life to do it too, because I am a science geek and I love it)

My hearing tests yesterday were outstanding. I have great accuracy detecting words against background noise. And my localisation ability was 12 degrees, which apparently is that of a normal hearing person. Audiologist said my progress was way ahead of expectations. 

There are plenty of things that are still hard. But I just keep going - I commit to wear it all the time, do my rehab everyday (I really like the angel sounds program). And treat it like an essential part of my body.

Couldn't be happier with how this is all going.

I really hope for great outcomes for everyone in this thread who was also recently activated. Even at 3 months there is so much you will have gained!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

Yay!  So wonderful for you!  And it keeps getting better!

Big congrats. Sounds like you are doing wonderfully.  I was at my one week post activation, I too have hearing very very well. It's not perfect but voices are sounding much better. The key thing for me was to be able to have conversations without lip reading 90 percent of the conversation.    Good times ahead...   😋

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie, that's wonderful, I'm glad it's going so well for you.  I referred to myself as a CI-borg in a meeting last week.  I'm trying to get my new co-workers as used to this as my old ones were - though my friends at my old site were with me last year while I was being implanted, so it's a bit different.

Our site IT manager has a toddler son who was born without external ears and uses AdHear from the sound of it - I haven't spoken to Keith about it yet, I've not got to know him that well yet.  But the way others have described the child's devices there's not much else it could be.

• Like 2

Thanks.

It sounds like a different system from ours.  Maybe the child’s middle and inner ear works, otherwise.  He just needs a way to deliver the sound.  If I’m not mistaken, it is not a surgical procedure.  He just has the devices.

• HearPeers Heroes
4 hours ago, Rita Marquez said:

Thanks.

It sounds like a different system from ours.  Maybe the child’s middle and inner ear works, otherwise.  He just needs a way to deliver the sound.  If I’m not mistaken, it is not a surgical procedure.  He just has the devices.

@Rita Marquez were you referring to my comment about my co-worker's child?  If so, yes, that seems to be the case, his inner ear works.  I only mentioned it because AdHear is Med-El too.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

In the small area where I live I already know of 2 ADHEAR users and one more who is in the process of getting ADHEAR.  They are popping up all over!  People love it.

• HearPeers Heroes
4 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

How are things going with your new job?

Really well, thanks, @Mary Beth.  It's quite different, before I was at a small, specialized manufacturing site that made a single product line of medical devices.  And I loved working in medical, and I was immensely proud of what we built there - I started when it was a tiny company and was part of the team that built it so that the company paid a LOT of money for what we'd done.  And I stayed there until the plant was fully integrated into our new corporation, and have now moved to our largest domestic manufacturing plant - not much for medical at all (some medical tape and some bandages mostly) but we make Scotch tape, blue painter's tape, electrical tape, and some specialized tapes for other manufacturing processes.  It's quite a lot different in scale, but it's feeling really good to have a new challenge.  And we've found a house nearby and expect to close on that in a month or so.  So, big changes!  But very good.  Thanks for asking!

I wonder if AdHear can replace Hearing aids?  I’d have to look up more on it for friends.  I’m really thankful to be alive in this era because we have technology for the deaf and hearing impaired.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rita Marquez

ADHEAR is an option for conductive hearing loss and single sided deaf people. You need at least one working cochlea.

@Kylie I am just looking into downloading Angel Sounds and it looks rather complicated as I have a Mac computer.  I'm not very techie and wondering how to best access this program.  What was your experience in accessing it?  Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes
5 minutes ago, Lynn Agnes said:

@Kylie I am just looking into downloading Angel Sounds and it looks rather complicated as I have a Mac computer.  I'm not very techie and wondering how to best access this program.  What was your experience in accessing it?  Thanks!

Sorry I have a windows computer so I don't know anything about Mac. Maybe someone else can help?