Insurance

Karen fudge

Hi , could anyone tell me if United Healthcare cover the cost of a CI .. recently had SSHL been to the dr and audiologist its been 5 1/2 months since it happened .. now gone through the tests injection meds MRI and bi cros hearing aids which don’t help ..So it’s CI for me ..  just curious if they cover .. 

Thanks 

• HearPeers Heroes

No idea.  Most insurance does, but United Health is a big company and I'm pretty sure they offer differing levels of coverage depending on the contract.  Why not just ask?  Your insurance person, I mean.

Like with any insurance company, it depends on the policies you have with them.  With United Healthcare, you should be able to find out from UHC's user portal: https://myuhc.com Your policy's coverage and benefits documents should be available there. CI's are typically listed under durable medical equipment.

Some CI centers will help you confirm/obtain insurance pre-approval with the insurance company before the surgery.

Thank you all for the quick response 

• HearPeers Heroes

I was fortunate that my CI center handled everything with my insurance for me.  It made the process so much easier.  I hope you are as fortunate.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Karen fudge if you don't mind, where are you located?  I only ask because United Healthcare is local to me - their HQ is just up the road from where I work (for another week).

Hello thanks for asking . I’m in New York 

I am a candidate for a cochlear implant. Now it’s the insurance company .. off to see the Dr about choosing the device for me and then the surgeon.. it’s all overwhelming I guess , something you never think you will loose is your hearing Andy how it effects your day to day life . 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck!  I thought about it all the time, as my hearing got progressively worse since - well, since birth.  Getting my CIs was one of the best things that's  happened to me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wishing you the best @Karen fudge.  I am in New York too.  Which CI center are you using?

I am going to NYU Langone Medical Center. For the hearing tests I had done and to meet up with Dr Shapiro to go over CI devices.

Then to Dr Friedmann at the NYU school of medicine on 1st ave

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 5/23/2019 at 9:11 PM, Karen fudge said:

Hi , could anyone tell me if United Healthcare cover the cost of a CI .. recently had SSHL been to the dr and audiologist its been 5 1/2 months since it happened .. now gone through the tests injection meds MRI and bi cros hearing aids which don’t help ..So it’s CI for me ..  just curious if they cover .. 

Thanks 

I had UH for all my Ci surgeries ( 4, but that’s another story)

they covered all surgeries with no problems