Rondo2: securing replacement leash to clip

C T lex

On my Rondo 2, the original leash attached to my clothing clip broke.  I see no way to attach a replacement leash to the clip other than tying it in place.  There's no way of looping the new leash through the clip as did the  original one.  So, I'm puzzled?  

Thanks, 

C T lex

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Can you help with this?  Several people have mentioned that the Rondo 2 leash breaks easily.  I see them listed in the Med-El shop as replacements.  How do you attach the replacements?  And why is the leash breaking so easily?

thanks

We just purchased this "leash" for my 5-year old.  It is definitely very thin and I won't allow her to wear the Rondo 2 to school for this reason.  She wears her BTE Sonnet to school with ear mold. She has already stretched the leash part so that I thought it would break, so I have a feeling it will next time when it gets tangled in her hair. The other thing I do not like about it is that the hair clip is metal.  She has thick hair but the magnet actually draws the hairclip toward it and then attaches to it over time!  Hopefully they will improve this product soon for the cost.

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope Med-El offers other securing options for Rondo 2 soon.  

Hi @C T lex

thanks for your question. I have forwarded your question to our experts here at MED-EL HQ, and I will get back to you with an answer asap. 

@Mary Beth thanks for the feedback, I have passed it on :)

Kind regards, 

Verena 

On 5/25/2019 at 5:34 AM, C T lex said:

On my Rondo 2, the original leash attached to my clothing clip broke.  I see no way to attach a replacement leash to the clip other than tying it in place.  There's no way of looping the new leash through the clip as did the  original one.  So, I'm puzzled?  

Thanks, 

C T lex

Hi @C T lex, I heard back from our experts here and they advised that most people prefer to replace the whole Attachment Clip rather than just the Leash.

However, if you want to replace just the leash you can do the following:

1.       Pull one end of the leash through the loophole of the clip

2.       Using forceps, carefully open up the loop on one end of the leach.

3.       Pull the other end of the leash through the open loop.

Kind regards,

Mary

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

That makes sense to me Mary but the only thing listed in the Med-El US store appears to be leash replacements unless I am misunderstanding the item.

@MED-EL Moderator

D4CD2C7D-7603-4F14-8492-A29033E29E68.png

Hi @Mary Beth,

thanks for clarifying. We are waiting for a response from our experts and will get back to you. 

Kind regards, 

Verena 

On 5/27/2019 at 7:28 AM, MED-EL Moderator said:

Hi @C T lex, I heard back from our experts here and they advised that most people prefer to replace the whole Attachment Clip rather than just the Leash.

However, if you want to replace just the leash you can do the following:

1.       Pull one end of the leash through the loophole of the clip

2.       Using forceps, carefully open up the loop on one end of the leach.

3.       Pull the other end of the leash through the open loop.

Kind regards,

Mary

Thank you for your response, Mary.  I  purchased four leashes as back ups, with no clips.

The eyelets at each end of the leash are identical in size, so forcing one eyelet through another is  daunting.  These eyelets are very tiny, and I have no forceps this small.  I suspect I'd break the leash if I did.  

Thanks, but spare leashes w/o clips is not a solution for me. 

C T lex

• HearPeers Heroes

@C T lex

I believe most people would feel the same way.  My biggest question though is why are the leashes breaking so quickly for so many users?  It seems to defeat the purpose of having a leash if the leash itself is so easily breakable.

@MED-EL Moderator

Thanks @Mary Beth, this reply is for whomever is interested.

Medel  kindly supplied me with a backup Rondo 2 processor.  I called customer service and they supplied clips and a leash w/o charge.  But that leash broke when just handling it.  Which leaves me with the leash and clip I'm wearing. 

If this leash brakes I will only wear my processor untethered very selectively.  

At one time the store had clips and a leash but that package is not listed now and I remember it being expensive.  For the work around provided earlier to be practical one eyelet (the one at the clip) needs to slightly larger in diameter.

C T lex

• HearPeers Heroes

I have Rondo (not Rondo 2), and I have no clear what is the purpose of this leash. Can you explain me what is his function? With my Rondo, I secure it with clip, fixation loop and fishing line?

• HearPeers Heroes

Apparently is made in silicone or similar material. I think my nylon is more discrete, secure and flexible. Maybe I'm wrong. It's true that I attach the loop to the glasses. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@C T lex

I wonder if a needle threader (not one made of wire) would work?

6 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@C T lex

I wonder if a needle threader (not one made of wire) would work?@

Thanks @Mary Beth You may be on to something. The eyelets are 1/16" in diameter, the opening within no more than 1/32".  So maybe a needle threader could spread the opening sufficiently to create the loop?  I had no idea what a threader was until your post.  Thank you, again.

It's an ugly solution but one can always tie the clip.  I will certainly do that before going untethered

C T lex

14 hours ago, C T lex said:

Thanks @Mary Beth You may be on to something. The eyelets are 1/16" in diameter, the opening within no more than 1/32".  So maybe a needle threader could spread the opening sufficiently to create the loop?  I had no idea what a threader was until your post.  Thank you, again.

It's an ugly solution but one can always tie the clip.  I will certainly do that before going untethered

C T lex

I was at the clinic yesterday for routine check over and we got talking about this. Not necessarily about the breaking as I have not had that issue but the fact that it is very difficult to get the leash back on wen you change covers. The 'solution' (which should address breakages too) they use is to go back to the old fishing wire type leash (a la Rondo 1), make a loop in the end and loop it round the comms port cover, then close it. Working fine so far and won't come of when the cover needs changing.

• Like 3

@Mary Beth after putting it under brighter light and magnifying glass, diameter of an eyelet is 1/8" and the opening is about 1/16".  Regardless it is quite small. 

After playing around with a broken leash,  an eyelet  stretches to a diameter similar to its width.  Just need the right tool.

C T lex

• HearPeers Heroes

@tomseabrook

Did you have to make the loop at the end of the line?  Do we need to position any knot outside of the cover or is there room under the cover?

Yes you need to tie a lop but with a fishing wire leash it is v easy. Also fits right in as the line is so thin (but very strong).

rondoclip.jpg

@thomseabrook thank you or the input.  This is for Rondo, correct?   For Rondo 2 one of the eyelets on the leash sits in a groove held in place by processor cover.  I'm not sure how the fishing line would attach to the processor...

C T lex

cc: @Mary Beth

C T lex

Hi, that is a RONDO 2 in the picture. I know how the leash is supposed to fit and the shortcomings of it, I had the first one in the UK. This addresses the issues with breakages and the annoying tendency of the leash to pop off when you change the cover. It just sits in the comms port cover.

• HearPeers Heroes

@tomseabrook

Cool!  What kind of fishing line do you use?

Do you just place the loop where the Med-El leash would go or is it somewhere else?

It is so invisible, it’s hard to see in the pic where you actually secured it.

Thanks for helping us!