Kanso v Rondo 2

Karen fudge

Hello everyone,  Just curious which is more popular the Kanso or the Rondo 2.  I see others have asked similar questions.  Is the Kanso upgraded more frequent and have more options  than the Rondo  2.  I understand in a way why people may go for the Rondo 2 as it is slimmer and rechargable. Which makes it more appealing I guess.  Plus being a middle aged women I guess a little vein would want something to cover up as much as possible .  But I did talk to a gentlman at NYU cochlear center and he was more pushed to lean towards the Kanso.  Which is loves.  I  go back next week to talk to the Dr about CI devices then see the surgeon after.    Big decision to make.  

Thanks once again

• HearPeers Heroes

@Karen fudge

Making a brand choice is a huge decision. This is a Med-El hosted forum so you will find most people here have Med-El implants.

The internal component of our implant hopefully will be with us for life.  The external processors change quite frequently so we will use multiple processors during a long listening lifetime.

Gather info and choose what is best for you.  Wishing the the very best.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Karen fudge - honestly, I didn't choose my implant based on the processor that's available.  I chose it based on the quality record that Med-El has, the fact that all their processors are backwards compatible with all their implants, and for MRI safety (though in that area the other manufacturers are catching up now.  Also, Med-El has more options for electrode arrays.

The thing is, you'll have multiple processors over the years, but your implant is in your head for a long time.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Karen fudge

Here is a link to some info that may be helpful to consider.

It's a tough choice picking the brands for sure.  Getting a CI is unfortunately not like test driving a car before buying, so you won't know what to feel and expect until you commit to one. You'll find happy users with all the brands, but keep in mind that their experiences are most likely limited to just one brand as most people can't test drive all the brands before getting one.

I've admittedly been hemming and hawing for a good long time between Med-El and another brand before committing to Med-El. I made a list of what my current and future (5 years, 10+ years) priorities are and tried to map out the different brands' current capabilities relative to my priority list. Making the list made me realize that there are trade-offs between the different brands. Some trade-offs were minor, other trade-offs were a larger issue. However, making my list ultimately helped me choose Med-El.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

What factors led you to choosing Med-El ?

(for me it was electrode array options and my complicated cochlea)

To name some of the unique factors that drove me to choose Med-El:

• Electrode array options and the impact the longer electrode has on reducing the time to return to natural hearing
  • Atraumatic electrode for the best chances at preserving residual hearing in case my residual hearing post-surgery is good enough for using EAS (electrical-acoustical simulation) for more wholesome sound.
  • Backward compatibility for newer processors with older implants and warranty support for future processor upgrades
  • Consistently innovating in speech processing/coding technologies
  • IDR/Automatic gain control for minimal fiddling with the various settings for day-to-day life
  • 250 virtual channels for higher fidelity (better music appreciation)

In short, I prioritized setting myself up for the best current and future success from the implant and speech processing technology standpoint.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

great list!

I love how I can put my processors on in the morning.  Stay in the same program all day while moving between many different listening  environments. I never need to adjust any settings.  They just operate like my ears!  I love them.

• 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Talha

hello and welcome to HearPeers.

The CI brands are not interchangeable.  When we have internal Med-El components, we must use Med-El processors.

Med-El has introduced the Rondo 3 processor with dual mics and adaptive intelligence which is supposed to help a lot in noise.  Check it out.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Talha

I’m sorry but I do not understand your question.  How do I know what?

• 8 months later...

Hi All, i have a question regarding the internal part. Difference between Sonata and Cobcerto. I came to know that Cobcerto is 25% thinner than sonata. How does it impact in the procedure? as i see price is much high for Concerto

• HearPeers Heroes

@Subhra

I will tag @MED-EL Moderator so they can connect you with the information you seek.

I have one internal Concerto and one internal Synchrony.  The Synchrony has a magnet design that allows for stronger MRI testing.  But in all other ways, as a CI user, they seem the same to me.

Hello @Subhra, thank you for reaching out.
We forwarded your question to our experts and we'll come back to you with an answer as soon as we can.

Thank you for your patience. 

Best Regards, Giulia

Hi @Subhra thanks for your question. 

CONCERTO is a newer generation of our cochlear implants than SONATA and the thinner thickness a further improvement to make surgery more convenient. The change in the design of the implant design does not effect its performance. And both, SONATA and CONCERTO are very reliable cochlear implants.

On our website you can compare the features of both implants: https://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/cochlear-implants/cochlear-implant-comparison 

I’d recommend to stay in close contact with your local MED-EL team as they are best placed to find the best hearing solution for you child. Please let us know if you need their contact details for further support.

Kind regards, Barbara