Cool new additions to OTOPLAN

Mary Beth

• 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, Mary Beth. This looks very useful. I’ll make sure to discuss OTOPLAN, etc., with my doctor when I meet with him on Friday of this week... Our HearPeers meeting last night was very helpful for me, as always, so thank you for that. I really hope that my electrode array has been properly placed and that my recovery/rehab is simply taking a little longer than standard, or that language and cultural issues here in Japan are just slowing things down a bit. However, as you apparently detected during our meeting yesterday, I’m starting to get a bad feeling that something is seriously wrong. Maybe similar to Hilla’s experience? In any case, I’ll follow up with my doctor during our appointment on Friday and I will let you know what he says. Also, I’ll start to look into the logistics of visiting the folks at Chapel Hill (although Santa Fe/Albuquerque would be ideal for me if I could find a well-regarded audiology team there). COVID travel restrictions between Japan and the United States is going to be a major complication, too... Well, we’ll see. As the saying goes, “Tomorrow is just another opportunity for something really good to happen!”

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kirk S.

I am hoping all of your medical appts go well.  

And I am definitely hoping your CI just needs a better MAP!

Do you like road trips?  Maybe you can base yourself in Santa Fe near friends and travel to your CI appts?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth!

Thank you for your note. Yes, as a matter of fact, I do like road trips. That was my Plan A for New Mexico: Stay in Santa Fe, then make a quick 60- to 90-minute trip to Albuquerque every week or two for CI appointments, mappings, etc. There’s lots of hiking, biking and skiing in Santa Fe, which I really like, plus the food is great, so I could pass a few months like that pretty easy, even if my wife was stuck back home in Tokyo. Plus the COVID outbreak in New Mexico seems manageable; there’s literally plenty of room there for social distancing. But so far, I haven’t been able to find a top-notch audiology/CI center in the Santa Fe/Albuquerque area. I’m hoping MED-EL USA will come through some recommendations. The University of New Mexico in Albuquerque is pretty big, so you’d think they’d have something useful there. But otherwise, the distances out West are pretty daunting for solo road trips: 6 hours to Denver, 8 hours to Phoenix, 12 hours to L.A. Not much fun driving alone that far ...By the way, Nikki wrote me a very nice reply today and she seems pretty sold on Chapel Hill. But I never really liked the American South and I think I might get bored out of my skull sitting in North Carolina for a few months waiting for my next CI appointment. I’ll let you know how things go this week, and please let me know if you have any other ideas. And don’t forget to start saving for the Tokyo Olympics next summer: It’s just a 14-hour flight from New York! 

Best,

Kirk

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth!

Thank you for your note. Yes, as a matter of fact, I do like road trips. That was my Plan A for New Mexico: Stay in Santa Fe, then make a quick 60- to 90-minute trip to Albuquerque every week or two for CI appointments, mappings, etc. There’s lots of hiking, biking and skiing in Santa Fe, which I really like, so I could pass a few months like that pretty easy, even if my wife was stuck in Tokyo. Plus the COVID outbreak in New Mexico seems manageable; there’s literally plenty of room there for social distancing. But so far, I haven’t been able to find a top-notch audiology/CI center in the Santa Fe/Albuquerque area. I’m hoping MED-EL USA will come through some recommendations - the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque is pretty big, so you’d think they’d have something useful there. But otherwise, the distances out West are pretty daunting for solo road trips

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth,

By the way, I was doing some research and ran across someplace called the Presbyterian Ear Institute、、 in Albuquerque. I think Presbyterian is a major national hospital/medical chain. It seems pretty professional but I’d like to know if you’ve heard of it or have any thoughts on whether it might work for me. The location wold certainly be convenient. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

https://www.presbyterianearinstitute.org

Best,

Kirk