Update on CI done earlier this year...

GraniPeggy

Hi everyone,this is Peggy,or GraniPeggy,from Reidsville,NC. I had a unilateral,left ear CI done at the beginning of the year,in Chapel Hill,N.C.,by Dr.Pillsbury of UNCMed. I haven't posted in awhile,and l do apologize,there has been a lot going on non-CI related,and l got behind. Most of you may remember that l am totally  dead in the rt.ear and was very nearly so in the left,but we chose to use that (L) one after scans and tests.Also,you might remember that at the visit to activate the CI,I was able to hear almost immediately AND,pretty clearly,after some " Donald Duck" sounding voices,initially.Lol. Since then,l have been released by Dr.Pillsbury,and began therapy with Audiology,l believe in March.Im now seeing audiology every 3 months.After the very first check,I admit that l was worried and dissapointed..Although generally l was hearing well,l mean when you go from reading lips,totally to hearing sound..that's GREAT!! But the first testing done to see how l was doing with sound " discrimination" when NOT being able to see the speakers face..didn't go well,at all.The audioligist,who l love,reassured me that it sometimes takes time,and adjustment. She also stressed PRACTICE,in daily conversation with family,as well, as using online programs available to CI recipients. I did these things religiously,and when l went back for my most recent checkup,last week,the results were amazing! Over 60%increase in understanding of recorded male,and female speakers from the first time! Then,as I'd gained so much improvement,she did some new testing that will be used in coming visits as a " baseline" for comparison.I want to stress that l have been COMPLETELY happy with my hearing,I had virtually  NONE when the implant was done. And admittedly,at first,l didn't understand the importance of the audiology visits.TRUST me,they ARE important! I was so caught up in the awe of even being able to HEAR again,I wasn't understanding that it could,and would be even better,with time,practice and audiologist " tweaking" the CI program via computer.I was SO happy the day of activation that I cried all the way home,a 2 hr drive! LOL Now,I'm on cloud 9 being able to actually hear the radio ! I have had NO problems of any kind related to the implant surgery,or the implant itself,and my whole world has changed,for the better..I'm still having a lot of " firsts",too. I'm now able to use the Bluetooth feature,in situations such as a crowded restruant,etc.I have also received the Rondo2,with which you dont wear the processor over the ear.I'm working with getting used to that,and also talking/ hearing on the telephone,now,too. I pray everyone who already has,as well as those who will soon have a CI will have as positive and wonderful experience as I'm having!  Hugs...

• HearPeers Heroes

A terrific update @GraniPeggy! I am happy you are hearing so well!