Hearing differently

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

So, I've had a really nasty bug.  It's kind of weird, the entirety of the congestion is in my sinuses - not the nose or the chest.  But the sinuses are icky and there's a cough.  And I've noticed that I'm not hearing well with my CIs.  I can hear and I can mostly understand but it just doesn't sound as clear as it has been.

Anyone had that experience?

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Mary Beth - it seems to be clearing up a bit (as is the cold).

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I've been battling a cold too but I haven't noticed any difference in my hearing with the CI thankfully. 

Guess everyone's different 

• HearPeers Heroes

I tell you what, this was the weirdest dang cold I can remember.  The first four days (Memorial Day weekend, of course) were just sore throat, headache, and general achiness and fatigue. 

Then the sore throat went away, as did the headache, mostly, and my sinuses got congested and I developed a cough.  It was the sinuses that made my CIs sound wrong.  Now the sinuses seem to be clearing but the cough just won't go away.  Sleeping through the night is nothing but a fond memory.

But!  I hear and understand, it just sounds odd.  And I had jury duty today and could hear the judge and attorneys just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

A bad cough has to be the worst. Your head hits the pillow and....... 

I get up and have a cup of tea with lemon and honey and feel sorry for myself. 

Reminds me of my grandpa, he had a whole number of music hall rhymes he would come out with. 

It wasn't the cough 

That carried him off 

It was the coffin 

They carried him off in. 

Get better soon.... 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @pdk, I'm fine now!

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

You know @Mary Featherston I have sinus trouble again. This time I am trying a neti pot.

I went to the spa today and was wearing my Rondo2 and there were times when I couldn't make out what the technician was saying. I wonder whether it was due to my sinuses/cold. Then again I haven't changed my mic cover yet. 

I'm thinking if I wear the Rondo 2 mostly then how do I decide when to change the mic cover of the Sonnet? 

I usually hear well with the Rondo2 still which is why I haven't bothered to change its mic cover yet. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel - sorry, I hope you feel better soon.  I actually waited to change my mic covers till I could tell the difference in sound quality.  That hasn't happened with the Rondo2s yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel Oh, I'll probably use them - I mainly use the Rondos at home anyway.  But when I reorder I'll order plain black, I think.  I recently asked Rob to submit microphone covers to my insurance and they were approved, but now I have to hit my out of pocket maximum - which means that in effect I'm just buying them because the only year in my life I've hit my out of pocket maximum was last year:  two CI surgeries.  Oh well.  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Since the Rondo 2 mic covers are so easy to swap out you can always swap it out and see if there is a sound quality change.  If not, swap back.

With my Sonnet 1 processors, I hear a difference in sound quality when the mic covers need to be changed.  The high frequencies are too muted.  After several times I realized that it happens soon after 2 months for me even though they are in the dry kit every night.  So I just change them every 2 months.  I set a reminder on my phone calendar.  If I do not wear them because I am using different processors, I wait until I have used them for 2 months or the sound quality changes.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth I was hoping to get three months from mic covers but it was closer to two and a half.  That's okay.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I was hoping also but having great quality sound is more important to me so I swap my Sonnet 1 mic covers every 2 months.

I like consistent sound quality.

What do you notice that lets you know your mic covers need to be changed?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth just a general lack of clarity, a muffled sound.  As this is my first year (well, the right's a bit more) I'm wanting to see what I get before I set a schedule. 

I think I hear OK after my first 3 months. Will check with my audiologist in case I destroy my present guard if I remove it to test I don't think it will be difficult.

This morning got up late, 10deg c outside. Approaching the kitchen, an amazing all filling sound, motor noise, high frequency hiss. My wife was using the cake mixer. Finding where the sound comes from is interesting. Walked right passed the machine thinking it must be the washing machine round the corner However I was able to locate the sound by looking for it. I find the sources of a lot of noises are easily found by rotating my head the volume is way louder when facing the sound source. 

The last few days I have noticed that my wife's voice sounds more distorted in much the same way as a singing voice does. The next door neighbour sounded OK. 

CI life is fascinating. Once upon a time all I did was just hear..... 

• Like 1

The land-line phone rings. I hear a clear voice. Hello mike, sorry can't hear you. 

With slow, clear enunciation, I know how that is. Yes your op worked very well. 

My wifes in the kitchen mike I'll get her to phone you, bye Mike. 

Later that evening, wife says, by the way that was Shirley that phoned she wondered why I had not told my wife. 

Now who must I believe, my CI or my wife?  😊