Insurance

Karen fudge

Hello , 

im just wondering how long it takes to hear back from your insurance company  about  having a cochlear implant coverage .. I already have the surgery date and all the follow up appointments sent to me .. 

Would the insurance company send me a letter or email ? 

Thanks 

karen 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Karen fudge

Your CI center may hear first.  Are you able to contact them and ask?

Mine was fast.  I did receive a letter.  No email.  I could also see it online in my insurance account under pre-authorizations.

When is your surgery?  Which processor did you choose?

Wishing you the best!

Hello,

Thanks for getting back so promptly .. appreciated .. I’m having a cochlear implant done  in NYU Langone ..  where I go they do push for the Kanso . Seem to update more frequently and the processor has two microphones .. which I’m tending to lead towards ..   I haven’t received a letter yet ...

• HearPeers Heroes

@Karen fudge I never did receive a letter - my insurance considers CI implantation fully covered without pre-authorization.  But my clinic did receive notification, which they request because they want to be sure of being paid, I'm sure.

So then I asked the insurance company for a letter and they sent one.

@Karen fudgeeveryone knew before I did .On my first implant my CI center secluded my appointment all set and told me to show up I will hear from the insurance company if there is a problem. 

I had a second implant same as first but I did get a letter of approval two day after I had my surgery 

So go figure

Good Luck

Hello all,,  my insurance is still pending . The office told me that I may get denied a few times. And they will appeal .. I think as I have single sided deafness may be the issue ..But I also have slight loss in my right to .. Its very frustrating with my hearing and the waiting game is horrible.. I guess they have to give u a date for surgery for insurance purposes? Also have to get a check up in the next week for overhaul EKG vaccines blood work .. Thanks for everyone who responded , this site is a pleasure to be on and nice to have people out there who understand how u feel...

Karen 

15 hours ago, Mary Featherston said:

@Karen fudge I never did receive a letter - my insurance considers CI implantation fully covered without pre-authorization.  But my clinic did receive notification, which they request because they want to be sure of being paid, I'm sure.

So then I asked the insurance company for a letter and they sent one.

@Karen fudgeYep I will remember going to the doc for the overhaul to see if you are still a living human.

I know it’s easy too say but don’t worry about being denied . CI center will handle it.

I am the world worse person for waiting I won’t even wait in line at the grocery store so what does that tell you.

Yes this is a very helpful and understanding site as we are all in the same problem and really no one understands.

It depends on your insurance and mail preferences. For me, my insurance has an online portal and my preferences were set to email. I got an email notification of a new message in the portal. I went in there, checked, and saw the letter of authorization. Took about 2 weeks. The hospital was a little longer as it had to be physically mailed, go through all their internal mail system, etc. before they would act... about another week.  It was a little stressful with all the waiting. 🙂 But, it all worked out.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hang in there @Karen fudge.  We are rooting for fast insurance approval for you!

@Karen fudgeas my wife say Patience she tells me this all the time.You are dealing with corporate America don’t rake it personally.This is why it’s called a journey.Your CI center will stay on top of this try to relax 

@Karen fudge I let the CI clinic take care of all the insurance paperwork / communication.   Then right before surgery the insurance sent a letter to my house that they need more info.  I was worried so I called just to find out it was already approved. It might seem slow and tedious process but keep positive and i hope all works out for the best!

Hi thanks for the positive thoughts and wishes .. the CI are dealing with it and have dealt with SSHL one sided , which makes it more of a challenge .. But fingers crossed . It’s the waiting game it’s so hard .. 

Thanks once again 

• HearPeers Heroes
On 6/7/2019 at 2:56 AM, Karen fudge said:

Hello , 

im just wondering how long it takes to hear back from your insurance company  about  having a cochlear implant coverage .. I already have the surgery date and all the follow up appointments sent to me .. 

Would the insurance company send me a letter or email ? 

Thanks 

karen 

Mine was fairly quick.  Although I got denied once b/c the insurance co claimed it wasn’t medically necessary. Surgeon called clarify and got instant results.