Ear Gear is having a 25% off sale!

Mary Beth

• 1 month later...

Hi Marybeth -- 

Do you know if the Ear Gear products would be a good alternative for simple sweat/moisture protection for the Rondo and/or Sonnet -- waterwear is great for total waterproof protection but I find my sonnet without waterwear does not like excessive perspiration when I am hiking in the hot or humid climates. The thing simply tends to shut down when moisture gets to a certain point. Waterwear is great (I have only used it on the R2) but expensive and I generally don't need complete water proofing (like swimming).

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ford

Yes EarGear is great for sweat and Jeff Campagna from Med-El who is also a CI user has a clever idea of using a smaller EarGear cover just protecting key Sonnet areas.  Let me find the link.

• HearPeers Heroes

It is using these mini EarGear covers on the Sonnet....

https://www.gearforears.com/content/ear-gear-mini-cordless

Here is Jeff’s blog entry about this....

http://handsonhearing.com/index.php/resources/blog

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mary Beth, I got both the rondo ear gear covers and the sonnet covers to try. What I've been finding with my sonnet is that it is very temperamental with any kind of moisture. With lots of perspiration when hiking or in a humid environment my sonnit just tends to give me the dead battery signal and quit many times. I have to take it out and let it dry for a while. I tried using an ear gear  cover on it with absolutely no difference. Probably will return the Sonic covers.

I find the rondo2  is much more tolerant to moisture in general, so I seem to now use that whenever I'm going to do anything active that might involve perspiration. Do you find the sonnet to be this sensitive or do you think maybe I have a possible issue with it?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ford

Are you using your Sonnet 1 with disposable batteries or with rechargeable batteries?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ford

Sonnet 1 has a higher water resistance rating than OPUS2 (the previous BTE processor).  I have never had moisture problems with any of my processors (OPUS2, Rondo 1, Sonnet 1) BUT I may not be exposing them to as much sweat as other people.  I find that my Rondo 1 does terrific with sweat because the sweat seems to trail around the processor and only the bottom gets wet.  Rondo 2 is a completely sealed unit so I would expect it would be even better with sweat than Rondo 1.  Possibly the seal for programming could cause a problem with sweat.

If your dead battery beeps with Sonnet 1 are ONLY happening when exposed to sweat, I would check to be sure all the connections are tight and the clear mic piece hasn’t come apart from the control unit.  

You are using the Sonnet as CI only right?  Not EAS?  Is your earhook the completely closed earhook....no green band?

If your dead battery beeps with Sonnet 1 happen at other times, that has happened to many people.  Replacement parts seemed to have helped others.

Yeah seems to only happen with the sonnet. I'm using ci only at this point. Clear ear hook piece on the front seems to be tight but ill take a look at it under a magnifying glass to make sure. It gets hot here in California right now and I tend to perspire quite a bit when I'm hiking. Those moisture conditions seem to be the only times really that I'm having the false dead battery issue, though I was recently in Mexico where it is pretty humid and had same experience even while not perspiring much, so I don't know.

Anyway I'll check that everything's tight. I have water wear for the sonnet and have yet to use that, and I may just use the plastic cover without actually totally sealing it and see if that mitigates some of the sweat dropping onto the processor. 

The rondo2 sits higher on my head and sweat doesn't seem to accumulate on it nearly as much as the Sonnit on top of my ear.

Thanks for the suggestions

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck @Ford

I hope you figure out a workable solution.  The Sonnet is not supposed to react that way to sweat/humidity so if it continues you may want to discuss it with your Med-El CSR or audiologist.

Wow! Definitely a loose wire somewhere cuz I'm not sweating 7 liters of water on every part of the sonnet🙂

I'll contact med-el

I have similar experience with the Sonnet processor over the 4 years I have had the CI and find myself using the Rondo when outdoors in hot humid conditions.  And not just one Sonnet processor.  It has been a problem with any replacement I have received.  Have just learned to deal with it as you describe.

• HearPeers Heroes

That’s unfortunate.  I wonder why that is happening to Sonnet 1 processors?  Hopefully Sonnet 2 processors will not have this issue.

By the way -- in your experience how often have you had to change out the connector wire (don't recall what it is called) between the magnet and the processor? Sometimes detaching and reattaching this from the processor helps -- it seems a vulnerable piece.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ford

That is the cable.  Oddly enough the Sonnet 1 does perform better when that cable is detached and reattached for me too.  (OPUS2 never has this problem.)

BUT it is very easy to damage that cable end that attaches to the Sonnet.  I use a locking DL-coil cover so the other end can never come loose.

It is like the Sonnet 1 needs to come apart and reset.  It is strange.  But the sound quality difference can be significant.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ford

Sometimes I wonder if that is related to the DL-coil.  The OPUS2 uses the D-coil instead.

Do you find the sound quality degrades over time and then you simply detach/reattach the cable, or is is usually some significant malfunction arising? Perhaps it makes sense to just do the re-connection routinely now and then.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ford

That cable breaks so easily where it attaches to the Sonnet.  So I try other ways to reset it first.  (Like remove the battery pack and reattach.  Power down then back on again.)

How often is it happening to you?

In general the sonnet seems fine unless I wear it hiking and expose it to excessive perspiration. Every once in a while it will just stop for no apparent reason and usually just re powering it puts it right. It seems pretty dependable overall.

I was having problems with sweat on the Sonnet because the battery cover was not sealing as it should once I got a good sealing battery cover I have not had any issues. 

You can tell if it has a good seal or not by looking to see if any sweat is on the battery when you remove the battery cover.