The need for high quality audio signals

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I’ve been thinking about how much we read articles and research describing how CI users perform in noise compared to acoustically hearing people.

I think there is an area that gets overlooked.

How less than ideal auditory signals impact us so much more than acoustically hearing people, even in quiet.  I’m referring  to poor cell phone connections, people using speaker phones on the other end and not actually talking in the phone’s direction, people talking on phones while their TVs are blaring away in the background, poor mic systems at conferences/theaters/schools, etc.  

Inferior auditory signals make understanding with CIs much more difficult.  It impacts us way more than it impacts acoustically hearing people.

What are your thoughts?

Does anyone know of any research on this?  @MED-EL Moderator Has Med-El conducted any research on this that you can share with us?

• HearPeers Heroes

I have asked people to pick up the handset before, because the speakerphone just doesn't work well if people aren't talking right into it.  For that matter, there seem to be a lot of people who hold the phone tucked under their chins and then mumble and I can't hear them either.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have also had to tell people that the reception is bad and ask if they can reposition the phone.  It makes a huge difference.

Hi @Mary Beth, thanks for your question. 

I will check with our experts if there is anything I can share with you and will get back to you asap. 

Best regards, 

Verena 

There is a lot of research being done into machine speech recognition in noisy environment such as voice controlled machines in noisy factories.  A Google Scholar search for “noisy environments language identification” brings back scores of examples.   Engineers are working on ways of using multiple microphones … throat mikes, over-ear mikes, background sound mikes … to filter out background noise and enhance the voice of a single speaker, so a machine can understand the speaker.  Unfortunately I see no evidence any of this research is being applied to the needs of CI users.

Hi @Mary Beth

sorry for the late reply. According to our experts there are no current studies specifically on this, so unfortunately I cannot share anything with you right now. If this should change, I will let you know. 

Best regards, Verena