Direct streaming through app or AudioLink

Mary Beth

I knew going in what options were available for direct streaming. However with the ability to connect via Bluetooth to adjust settings, but not stream audio, there will likely be a steady flow of confusion. The hardware seems to be there but not enabled... I futzed around with various methods to direct connect w/o satisfactory success. I also will fall back and regroup before continuing to throw time and resources at it. Unfortunately the Med-El KC meetup was rightfully cancelled, it would have been a good opportunity to address this. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dan W

Are you using Sonnet 1 or Sonnet 2 processors?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dan W

I have been curious about the built in BT receiver in Sonnet 2 that enables it to connect directly to the AudioKey app without the need for the intermediary AudioLink device.  I wonder why that connection is not being used to stream all audio directly from phones to Sonnet 2.  We may need much longer lasting rechargeable battery options first.

What are your thoughts?

I'm with you... The hardware is most likely already there as data is being shared via a paired connection with a phone using IEEE 802.11 standards.

Thoughts? , it is possibly a patent issue that has not or can not been worked out??? Me doing a real patent search is unlikely as it is exhausting and up to personal interpretation. That is why there are lawyers, courts and judges for clarity on who done what. I also have no inside information.

Could be as simple as a feature that they planned for, but couldn't get the bugs out before release deadlines. 

A BLE device will not use THAT much current compared to a microprocessor that is boasted to be part of it...  Radio connection... just as with the AudioLink??? So I am skeptical of a battery issue. It would take a spectrum analyzer and some concerted effort to make a more educated guess. Doing so and publicizing it would likely be a bad choice for everyone.

I am not a patent or contract lawyer, part of med-el or an expert at nearly anything so take that as what it is, just A GUESS.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dan W

Your guess is as good as anyone else’s guess.  Smile.

Meanwhile we all wait and hope.

• 3 weeks later...

ok I have both sonnet 2s now. I have them linked to phone is it really true u still have to use audio link for calls and music even with bt mono and you cant stream anything from phone when I'm direct. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mike

yep.  No direct audio streaming with Sonnet 2.  Audio goes through the intermediary device, AudioLink.

Hi. I have been trying for 3 hours to figure out how to stream Spotify from my phone to my new Sonnett2 and happened on this site looking for help. I have paired my processor to Audiolink and Audiolink is paired with my iPhone 8plus. 
Sounds like what y’all are saying is that contrary to what Medel says, the manual says, and what my Audiologist told me when I got “turned on” - we cannot steam music off phone to the processor via Audiolink.  I thought I would get it set up, turn on my music via Bluetooth and alll sound goes through processor and someone next to me can not hear it. ??? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@ngmartin

Nope.  The ONLY audio that will stream from phone to AudioLink to Sonnet 2 is phone calls.

A work around for other audio (music) is this....

We must run an A2DP converter app in the background.  Med-El mentions this on their website under AudioLink support.

The music will go from music app-converted by A2DP app running in the background to AudioLink to Sonnet 2.

I do not like the sound quality at all so I choose to listen to music other ways.

I saw your other post stating this. This is such a disappointment because Medel employees in Durham, literature and audiologists all claim it would stream music from phone to processor. What are they all saying that and it does not?

You and someone else discuss legality issues... does this mean they rolled out the Sonnett 2 without this feature?

• HearPeers Heroes

@ngmartin

I don’t recall ever discussing legality issues in HPs or anywhere else.

I will try to find a link to where Med-El explains connectivity options for Sonnet 2.

• HearPeers Heroes

Med-El has its own app now called Audio2Ear

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Is this Med-El’s own version of an A2DP converter app?  When did it release?

A808AA2A-9A32-4A2D-B8A5-96D0FA553505.png

Right I downloaded the app and that’s what I have been fooling around with all day and cannot get it to stream into processor only. It seems like maybe it does cause of courseni am hearing out of processor but the iPhone is still running the music loud.  By the way, I appreciate the help you are giving everyone! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@ngmartin

Try using a different A2DP converter app.  I used a different app and it worked BUT I did not like the audio quality of music so I do not use it.

Hi @Mary Beth, thanks for tagging us.

The Audio2Ear is a MED-EL app (a converter app) to stream music wirelessly from the phone via AudioLink to your SONNET 2/SONNET audio processor. It has been relased a few weeks ago and can be used on Android and iPhone. 

Kind regards, Barbara