US new Sonnet (surgery) kit swap option

Mary Beth

@Mary Beththis is great new for all the new CI people.I will be seeing Alexanna next week at a meet up and I am going to ask her if there is any hope for us older, wiser CI people 

Thanks for the info

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

LOL.  Us older wiser CI people can at least buy the AudioLink for our Sonnet 1 processors!  😊 

I wonder how much it will cost?

• HearPeers Heroes

More info on the US Sonnet swap for new surgery kits

flyer_SONNET_swap.pdf?fbclid=IwAR306XXrd

• 5 months later...

I have been trying to find information on this. I am waiting to hear from the team but no success yet. I have an unopened box to swap but neither support or new customer team got in touch. The voucher says we can swap but doesn't tell how.

• HearPeers Heroes

For those In the US eligible for theSonnet Swap promo, they have to wait until Sonnet 2 is released in the US.  Sonnet 2 has not been released yet in the US.

Maybe your CSR will be able to tell you how the swap program will work.

@SWS0107

• 2 weeks later...

I am waiting for Sonnet 2 also, since I am a new implantee.  I don't think I can go to yoga with

the Rondo 2 and Select.  It just is not good enough for me to hear the teacher's voice. It will be

more clear with Sonnet 2.  Does anyone know what is causing the delay in bringing the S2 into

the USA?

I thought I saw somewhere online this weekend that Sonnet 2 is available.  Just a rumor? 

My audiologist told me that she was going for training on the Sonnet 2 in January, so she expected the release soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tommy C

Med-El US announced the Sonnet 2, FineTuner Echo and AudioKey app release on their official FB page.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Addey

@ats169 has a solution that works for her in yoga with her Sonnets.  She agreed to post about it.  

4 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Addey

@ats169 has a solution that works for her in yoga with her Sonnets.  She agreed to post about it.  

Hi @Addey

I have Sonnet 1 currently. Have used Rondo 1 in the past but now use them for water only. Am waiting for Sonnet 2, but it'll be a few years before I can upgrade as I just got my Sonnets a year ago. I have been long frustrated with yoga classes and biking (listening to podcasts with just one ear, other ear for traffic). Here's my solution, which I owe to @Mary Beth. This requires use of the T coil. I was initially resistant to that because with Tcoil on my OPUS 2, the EM fields and their strength were staggering. So I switched to Bose headphones -- which are fabulous for phone calls and audio stream...when you're NOT physically active. Fortunately the Sonnet 1's T coil EM field isn't nearly as bothersome as it was with Opus 2. I can't say for sure if that's due the processors. I can say for certain that I'm in the same geographical area with the same walking routes, so the EM fields haven't changed much.

So, maybe you can test out your yoga studio with a "t coil" test first? I took my Sonnet FineTuner to one class and just flipped it over. To my surprise, my particular yoga studio is dead quiet when I'm in t coil mode. So I very excitedly ordered the Artone Max 3 streamer AND Artone Mic.

Max 3: http://www.artonecs.com/store/p1/Artone_3_MAX_world's_strongest_streamer.html

Mic: http://www.artonecs.com/store/p14/Artone_MIC___wireless_microphone.html

(Also available on Amazon and other places)

You need two devices: the Artone streamer which is a T coil neckloop with built-in buttons--what I call a "power bob". This is where the power button is along with volume and forward/backwards. You also need the Artone mic which is a remote mic smaller than a stick of chapstick. I had my yoga teacher clip the mic to their little strappy tank top affair (and it stayed on, strong clip!), and I put the neckloop around my neck, with the "power bob" kinda tucked under my shirt (one could also safety pin around the neck loop to keep it from flopping around). Use the Fine Tuner to flip to T or MT. I like T best.  The mic is such that the background music that the teacher plays was HARDLY picked up at all, and I really heard her well, despite the mic being at her shoulder, and her mouth aimed out front. Only when she was in twist poses with her mouth fully away in the other direction did I have a bit of a hard time making out what she said. Personally I prefer the teachers to wear the mic on the shoulder rather than on their chest b/c when they lay on their front in cobra pose or whatever belly pose, the mic gets smooshed under their body. On the shoulder front, it's really out of the way.

@Mary Beth brought hers to a Med-el meeting so I could try it. I was so very skeptical because I own (and basically have tossed in a drawer) another neckloop that plugs into a Comtek FM receiver, and it's just so weak for me to pick up any audio through it. I was heartbroken when that happened b/c it used to work so well with my hearing aids (before implantation). Now with the Artone's more powerful T coil field, I am totally back in business for listening while moving -- gonna use it to bike, run, yoga. And stunningly it's very, very small and lightweight, so using these ALD's during exercise without having to strap anything down is really wild.

• HearPeers Heroes

@ats169

I love how one yoga person can help another yoga person in lots of yoga language!

Thanks for posting!

What you notice about the telecoil interference between OPUS2 and Sonnet may be due to the fact that Med-El told us Sonnet, Rondo 2 and Sonnet 2 processors have telecoil strengths set 12 dB quieter on purpose to better match telecoil strengths in HAs for bimodal users.