CI surgery under local anesthesia

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I just listened to a radio talk from the American Cochlear Implant Alliance Conference happening in Miami Florida.  They discussed CI surgery for older adults.  I did not realize that some CI centers perform CI surgeries on older adults under local anesthesia and sedation instead of general anesthesia.  Interesting.  Also it seems that many CI centers are performing simultaneous CI surgeries on infants at 6 months of age.  That is terrific.

• HearPeers Heroes

It is create doubts about what do you feel looking to doctors around you with their tools over your head. Without doubt it is interesting but... 😗

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

I am glad there is an option for people who are too risky to go under general anesthesia.  I would ask for enough sedation so I was not aware of anything going on and remembered nothing afterward.  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

You have right Mary Beth.I thought aloud, probably I imagine to myself awake at surgery room 😐. Good sedation avoid complication of full anesthesia.

• HearPeers Heroes

I once had orthopedic surgery on my hand with local anesthetic.  The surgeon thought I might want to watch.

Ha.