Mary Beth

Research opportunity at Med-El North America

I enjoy participating in research as a way of paying it forward in thanks for those who helped engineers create these amazing CIs that have changed my life.

Med-El North America conducts research in Durham North Carolina.

If you are an adult, use one or two cochlear implants, live in the USA/Canada,  are willing to participate in research for one week (M-F 9-4, with an hour lunch break)....you can contact Med-El for more info.

Med-El covers the costs for you and a guest to travel, rent a car, stay at a hotel and also covers up to a certain amount of food expenses.  It is very easy to stay within the food limit in my opinion.

If you are interested, private message me for the email contact or contact Med-El NA directly.  (Since this is a public forum, I’m not going to post the email address here but am happy to give it to you in a PM).  Med-El research team told me to share their contact info with interested people.

I love it!  It is so fascinating.  Maybe some of you will enjoy it too.

Blehhhh I thought this was something I could have participated in. I like paying it forward. We are all in this together. 

@Jewel

I know.  I’m sure there are other research opportunities you can participate in to pay it forward.  I think you would enjoy that a lot.  This research is only for people in the US and Canada to my knowledge. 

Hi Marybeth -- I would be interested in participating if you could PM me the contact info.

BTW: I will be in Austria in sept so am currently arranging for tour of Med-El in innsbruk. Hope to meet some engineers too. 🙂

thanks

Ford

Enjoy Innsbruck and Med-El ! Report back. I will send you a PM for the US research contact.

@Ford has given me an idea. Maybe I should plan a trip to Austria and go visit Med-El. That would be awesome! 

@Jewel

Many people have gone to Innsbruck and arranged a tour of Med-El prior to traveling.  It is an amazing place full of wonderful Med-El employees.

And Innsbruck's a cool town anyway - bonus!

Med el in North Carolina got back to me and offered to fly me (and my wife if she wants to come too) to North Carolina for a week to participate in research, so I'm headed there second week of January. I imagine it will entail some drudgery but I am interested in seeing what they're doing and participating. Thanks for the email Mary Beth. Ursula from Austria headquarters has been emailing me too and looks like I'll get a tour and meet some engineers when I'm over there in September.

Nice the company is so engaged with it's customers 🙂

@Ford

That’s terrific.  I look forward to hearing about your research experience in. Durham and your visit to Innsbruck.  Exciting year for you.

@Ford

Did you already have your research week in Durham?

How was your trip to Austria?  Did you visit Med-El headquarters?

Hi Marybeth

I am in Durham as we speak and will be here the whole week. Josh and team are great! Everyone is very hospitable and I feel well taken care of...and we were just talking about you today!🙂

I think it will be a very interesting week, especially since we'll be doing some music work.

Med-el Innsbruck was interesting... if not quite as engaged with engineers as I had hoped. More of a facility tour. Great town and I got to meet the folks who built my implant. They were very inspired to meet a recipient as they don't get the chance to see their work in real life too often.

F

Enjoy your experience in Durham with the awesome research team! @Ford

I’m heading to Durham in early March. Would love to hear about Ford’s experience. 

I'll be in Durham in late March - early April.  Looking forward to it!

Great week. Josh and team are really warm and friendly and i felt really taken care of. Be prepared for some grueling testing which gets quite tiring ... but they are very mindful of not burning you out. I found the projects very interesting and relevant and they are happy to share as much technical detail of what they are doing as you can handle... So I definitely did not feel like a lab rat. Felt great to be able to contribute 😊

I'll definitely go back next year.

Terrific @Ford!