Speech to text live apps

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Android:  

The clear winner seems to be LiveTranscribe.  It is impressive.

iPhones/ iOS:

Hearing Helper app - works well.  Easy to use.  Has the ability to change text size easily.  Free.

Microsoft Translator app- works well.  Can split the screen.  Translates into other languages too.  Free.

AVA- works well.  Can set up a group conversation as long as others have the app too.  Given a certain number of free hours monthly.

Anyone have others to add?

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Italy and have a Med-el Sonnet processor, left side, since 2017.Telephone conversations remain almost impossible for me and I have found no one here who uses or knows about captioning. A computer engineer found an App, Rogervoice,  that works on Android with Italian translations, but the other conversant has to install the App as well. Not even my best friend wants to get involved in this. Can you indicate other Android apps that supply captions in various languages and don't expect the caller to be a subscriber? Thanks for any advice.

M. Haines

• HearPeers Heroes

@Margaret Haines

I am sorry phone captioning services are not available in Italy.

Check out SpeakSee.  It is supposed to caption incoming voices on calls.  Expected release is in 2019. It may have released already.

Other than putting the call on speakerphone and using the app LiveTranscribe, I am not sure how you can get captioned calls.

Do you think using assistive tech to get a better auditory signal on phones with your Sonnet will help.  The AudioLink from Med-El just released in Europe.

On 7/31/2019 at 3:08 AM, Mary Beth said:

Android:  

The clear winner seems to be LiveTranscribe.  It is impressive.

iPhones/ iOS:

Hearing Helper app - works well.  Easy to use.  Has the ability to change text size easily.  Free.

Microsoft Translator app- works well.  Can split the screen.  Translates into other languages too.  Free.

AVA- works well.  Can set up a group conversation as long as others have the app too.  Given a certain number of free hours monthly.

Anyone have others to add?

Google translate, iPhone built-in speak in the screen to unable this feature:

Go to Settings  > General > Accessibility > Speech.

Choose any of the following:

Speak Selection: To hear text you’ve selected, tap the Speak button.

Speak Screen: To hear the entire screen, swipe down with two fingers from the top of the screen.

Highlight Content: iPhone can highlight words, sentences, or both as they’re spoken. You can change the highlight color and style.

Typing Feedback: You can configure typing feedback for software and hardware keyboards and choose to have iPhone speak each character, entire words, auto-corrections, auto-capitalizations, and typing predictions.

To hear typing predictions, you also need to go to Settings > General > Keyboards, then turn on Predictive.

Voices: Choose a voice and dialect.

To adjust the speaking rate, drag the Speaking Rate slider.

However,  Also this feature automatically built-in in iPhone keyboard you will see microphone icon in right down corner.