New to a CI. Cochlear Nucleus

mikeaz123

Hi all, so I just received my cochlear implant which is CA's newest implant, and I was told I was one of the first in the country to receive it.  I have been using my processor for about 2 weeks now.  My background is... I'm 41, and have had degenerative hearing loss since birth, my right ear has pretty much always been useless but I didn't require an over the ear aid until about 15 years ago and it's gotten to the point where I can't talk on the phone too well anymore.  I consulted with the Mayo and they said I was candidate and well, here I am about 2 months later with my implant!

First impressions are that I could actually some words right away out of my right ear without the assistance.  Since my 3 adjustment appointment, I can hear more words and understand my mom on the phone.  Her voice sounds different of course but not mechanical.  

I am also experiencing a dullness in my right ear with the processor only.  Sometimes the voices or music sound distant and unclear but sometimes if I'm right next to a person, I can hear somewhat ok by reading lips.  I know they say it takes about 6 months to a year to hear "normally", but I was curious if people have experienced the dullness/distance effect, if thats a normal issue or not? 

I wearing a hearing aid in my left ear (resound enzo) and having both working at the same time has greatly helped me.  I can actually understand some song lyics more clearly before, and the drums are nice and loud; those were always dull before with the aid only.

So far, so good!

• HearPeers Heroes

@mikeaz123

Congratulations on your CI.  We have a lot of great info in our REHAB topic.  This forum is hosted by Med-El so almost all of us use Med-El implants here.  You may want to check with other people using your processor.  They may have setting suggestions that may help.

Regardless of brand, it takes awhile to reach a stable MAP.  It gets better.

Oops, I'm sorry... I was trying to find their forum but didn't have any luck.  Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s not a problem and you are welcome to stay and share your journey here.  You just won’t find support for your devices/setting options/etc here.