Rondo 2 on airplanes

Andy

Hi, has anyone had an experience of using the Rondo 2 whilst on flights? 

I’m due to fly long haul & wondered what it’s like using the inflight entertainment (t-coil to Bluetooth) for watching/listening to films. Has anyone tried the Roger neckloop or Artone neckloop? Is there any interference from the plane?

And, any bad experiences with air pressure in plane for CI?

thanks in advance.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Andy

I have Rondo 1 processors but as far as listening options on planes, they are exactly the same as Rondo 2 processors.

Phonak says that Roger transmitters should not be used on planes.

The Artone neckloop (my favorite neckloop) requires us to be in MT or T settings. The telecoil experiences a lot of interference on planes (buzzing).

CozyPhones are flat stereo speakers with a headband.  They plug into any headset jack so they work great on planes.  They are only $20 and have terrific stereo sound

https://www.cozyphones.com/collections/active/products/black-active-cozyphones

If you have the mini battery packs for the Rondo 2 processors, you can plug in the Med-El DAI red jack cable.  

2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

If you have the mini battery packs for the Rondo 2 processors, you can plug in the Med-El DAI red jack cable.

Just looking through all my Rondo gear...and that cable seems to be the only thing I can’t find or haven’t got. 😭

• HearPeers Heroes

To use this way of accessing the plane’s entertainment system you would need several items....

-mini battery pack (one for each side)

-Rondo 2 cable to plug into the mini battery pack (one for each side)

-DAI cable red jack for 90/10 audio mix ratio (unilateral or bilateral cable)

If your kit did not come with the mini battery pack and cable, it will be cheaper to purchase CozyPhones.

If your kit came with the mini battery pack and cable and you are just missing the DAI red jack cable, you should be able to order that fro: Med-El.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andy

Although this says Rondo instead of Rondo 2, it shows how the mini battery pack works connecting to headphone jacks with the DAI cables.  Red jack is 90/10 mix.  Yellow jack is 50/50 mix.  (I prefer the red jack.)

https://www.medel.com/support/audio-processors/rondo/connectivity/rondo_direct_audio_input

I only have one CI (don’t wear a HA in other ear any more), so only need 1 cable.

we have a Med-el shop / office nearby...I’ll contact them to see what they say.

The cable is £48 here in the UK...😮

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andy

Do you have the mini battery pack and connecting cable from Rondo 2 to mini battery pack already?

Yes, just not the audio connecting cable.

I’m seeing my audiologist on Friday, so will ask then. But if this audio cable can stream via the battery pack to the CI, then I might get it...as I’ve got flights of 11, 13, 11 & 15 hours to contend with.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow!  Long flights!  @Andy

The DAI cable plugs into the headset jack on the plane (3.5 jack).  Sound travels through that cable to the mini battery pack.  Sound then travels up the Rondo 2 mini battery pack thin cable which is plugged into the Rondo 2.  Sound enters the Rondo 2.  All wired.  Your Rondo 2 mic is reduced to 10% if you use the red jack cable.

Enjoy your flights! 

How good is the sound quality of mini battery pack with red cable @Mary Beth have you ever tried?

I usually listen on the go and being able to block external sounds on my MFI hearing aid was a big plus for me. So I wonder how things work out with a 90/10 mix on subway and airplanes. Guess Artone would make so much buzzing I know because I've used t-coil earhooks before. Wish we had more viable options for Rondo 2.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Evren

The 90/10 mix cable works well but it does not block out ALL environmental noise.  However, the sound quality is very good.  It’s a bit inconvenient to use the mini battery packs though.  You have a thin cable from the Rondo 2 to the mini battery pack.  You have to put the mini battery pack somewhere on you.  Then you have a stiff DAI cable from the mini battery pack to the phone’s headphone jack.  This arrangement is bulky and inconvenient.  

Artone neckloop works great with Rondos (OPUS2 and Sonnets) but we cannot use it in situations that cause EMI (electromagnetic interference).

Then that leaves me with CozyPhones flat stereo speakers with headband as an option for Rondos.  Great sound quality but also will not block out all environmental sounds.

We do need the Rondo to have a built in 2.4 proprietary receiver like the Sonnets.  Then it could use the AudioLink.  Or a built in BT receiver for direct connection to BT devices through an app like AudioKey.

@MED-EL Moderator (our wish list for Rondo 3!  Smile)

Actually, I was thinking of making a wish list for Rondo 3. You read my mind! @Mary Beth :D 

Built-in BT connection is a MUST for Rondo 3. MFI Hearing Aid's first introcuded like 5 years ago, it kinda feels like a downgrade when it comes to direct audio streaming. We can't even use over the head headphones.  @MED-EL Moderator please hear our wishes :) 

• Like 2

Good news, on the way to my mapping session on Friday (didn’t go well), I popped into the local Med El office, although it’s not really for “customers” like us...they were happy to talk to my wife and I about the Holiday Loaner scheme & the audio cable.

seems the cable should have been in the box, anyway, I left with a box of goodies & managed to get the audio cable from my CI centre.

Med El even offered us a cornetto while we were waiting! Lovely people & great company. (Sheffield)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andy

I am glad you have the cable so you can use the mini battery pack on the flights.  Test it all out at home first.  😊 

Sorry your MAPping appt did not go well.  What happened?

The mapping feels like it’s going backwards. I’m struggling with high frequencies, as some actually feel painful. And currently everything is very deep & boomy, because I’m struggling to hear deep “quiet” sounds...music was good back in May...now not too good at all. But I know I have to allow myself time to adjust.