Aural rehab tips from Mary Beth

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marlene

If you have any questions about the Artone, feel free to ask.  There are many Artone users here.

I was told I must charge the Artone for 3-4 hours or until light turned blue. I know it’s red at the beginning but mine goes blue within 10 minutes. At that time I tried to sync with iPhone but it wouldn’t. So I let it charge for three hours on the blue light and had no problem syncing them.

Anyone else have this happen?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marlene

I don’t pay attention to whether the light is blue or red to be honest.  I charge the Artone overnight and just unplug it and use it on the morning.

Is your Artone working well with your phone now? 

• HearPeers Heroes

The IOWA phoneme test is a great, fast way to check phoneme errors.  I used it with a partner while training everyday and tracked my errors.  It is helpful to note what we hear as well as what the target phoneme is (I hear ahhhgaa but my partner said ahhhdaa).

My audiologist and I use it to test out MAP changes too.

Iowa-Medial-Consonant-Test.jpg

These are all great suggestions! Thanks for sharing! I got my Med El implant on Sept 6, activated on the 17th. I think I am doing well but I don’t come close to working as hard as you do! I even took two whole days off and just relied on my hearing aid in my better ear. You are motivating me to work harder! Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jan Berry

You are welcome.  Aural rehab helped my brain interpret the sound from the CI much faster.  Keep us posted on your journey.

We had our meeting, an audiologist, representative of Cochlear products in SA and Fanie Du Toit who is on the Council for Persons with Disabilities ( he does round the country running hearing assessment tests so people can then get help from an audiologist)

We are going to start with the English language and expand my app Bend My Ear and add more basic phoneme sounds. They reckon that sentences are for competent listeners. So we'll try and create the ability to break down lists of sounds and play them individually. The audiologist is working with her standard hearing evaluation material. So the app will contain more modules. Unfortunately Christmas is nearly here and things will only start at the end of January. So meantime I'm figuring out how to work with Android Studio.

Meantime we need to be able to motivate people to use Aural Rehab. I made a search for poll on the Medel site and the results were to say the least disappointing. Less that 20 replies in most cases.

I thought a poll which asks Partners and Family members to assess the CI person's ability to communicate might wake some people up.

I think we have to go back to the manufacturers and get them to include Rehab material in their Activation kits. I think also the IOWA Phoneme test is a great idea.

Public libraries should have Angel installed and people could do tests using the internet option so that the audiologist could have that info available at mapping time.

For those who use Rehab the rewards are Great

Peter

• HearPeers Heroes

@pdk

I love this International HearPeers forum.  It’s my favorite CI forum/group.

It is a public forum.  Many, many times people sign up and introduce themselves by saying they have been reading the forum for a year before joining.  So we never can tell the number of people who read our posts.  But there is a much bigger audience than one may think.

I encourage everyone to join in.  Post.  Share your successes. Ask questions.  Make friends.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Dan W

scroll to page 1 in this topic for my favorite aural rehab activities 

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 10:02 PM, Mary Beth said:

@John Strother

scroll up to the top

a great list Mary Beth. I have created a habilitation and rehabilitation website which I am hoping will provide a permanent easily accessible place to find these resources and also comment on them using the forum. 

pdkknight.editorx.io/getanearful

Please check it out. 

Peter 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you @Mary Beth

I don't think those apps are available anymore, I couldn't find them. But I downloaded a few different ones, and I will let everybody knows how they are. 

I will definitely check out those websites. 

Thank you for sharing!!! 

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2020 at 7:41 AM, pdk said:

a great list Mary Beth. I have created a habilitation and rehabilitation website which I am hoping will provide a permanent easily accessible place to find these resources and also comment on them using the forum. 

pdkknight.editorx.io/getanearful

Please check it out. 

Peter 

Thank you for compiling this list. This is super helpful! I started using the Listening Room with my 11 year old, and found the options a bit limited. We start aural rehab tomorrow. Looking forward to what the therapist has in store for us, but will certainly check out these additional options. 

4 hours ago, 2monkeys said:

Thank you for compiling this list. This is super helpful! I started using the Listening Room with my 11 year old, and found the options a bit limited. We start aural rehab tomorrow. Looking forward to what the therapist has in store for us, but will certainly check out these additional options. 

I hope it will be of help to many. this is the first feedback I have had. hoping for some forum members this year.

For android users I have added a new module for getanearful  with around 400 words. I'm not trying to compete with Angel or Hearoes. It's designed for off line and for when you have a few minutes to practice. 

Still on sourceforge but will be on playstore soon. 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/getanearful

If you go to the files directory there is medelmagic.apk which just has ling6 and Med-El matrices. 

Working with 2 audiologists in south Africa and hopefully will be adding more this year.