My opinion - Hold off on CI until the users get better control of adjustments

Neil

I have the Med-El in my left ear, while I am still using old hearing aid in right ear. And quite frankly, the old hearing aid is better.

The CI, I am sure, has great potential. But that potential will only be available to us users when we get control of making our own adjustments/mapping.

It is the 21st Century...there should be some app or better fine tuner to allow us to make adjustments adapting to our then environment. Yes, the fine tuner has several adjustments, all set up by an audiologist in their office or sound booth. But the real world is a noisy restaurant, a conference room with several people speaking at the same time, a noisy train, a noisy street.....I am not happy at all with this product.

• HearPeers Heroes

Neil,

Everyone is different and must make do with their own situation and decisions. 

I had a different situation, My first CI on the right side went in flawlessly and I felt over that first year being bimodal with a CI and a HA was better on the CI side. In fact, I wanted to get the second CI as soon as possible because of the excellent hearing with the CI.

I lost my hearing as an adult, my hearing was flat across all frequencies in both ears, so adapting to CIs was relatively easy for me.

My right CI was implanted without issue, however, my left side was not. It took three implant surgeries to get it implanted properly, due to a bony buildup in the inner ear.

My point is every one is different. Find a good ENT who does research well for each case. 

Then do your own research on adapting to CIs - follow through with any and all audio rehabilitations exercises you can. 

Patience, Practice and Perseverence

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Neil

I am sorry you are disappointed in your CI journey so far.  Which processor do you use?

I am a put it on and leave it kind of CI user.  I have bilateral CIs so everything I hear is thanks to my CIs.  I can move between quiet settings and arenas for concerts and never need to adjust any setting on my processors nor switch programs.  

Have you been able to talk with your audiologist about the situations that are difficult for you to see if she has any suggestions?

I am happy to brainstorm ideas with you if you want to elaborate a bit more.

It’s been less than one year right?

• HearPeers Heroes

My audiologist said an interesting thing to me at my last visit that seemed counter intuitive at first. (I'm 4 months in). She said try not to use the controls unless really desperate - instead make my brain learn to make the adjustments. As it does in normal organic hearing. She said it may be hard but over time it will work out. So I've been following this and it is interesting. I definitely use the controls at times in the most challenging environments but try to minimise it. I can tell though that my brain is starting to sort out some types of background noise.  I think she's right that perseverance seems to be the key.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

Experiencing all these changes in our brains is quite amazing isn’t it?

I just put my processors on my head and go about my day.  I only use the FineTuner to switch into T for streaming audiobooks.

I am glad everything is going so well for you. Pop into our WOW moments topic and share some of your WOW moments with us.

https://forum.hearpeers.com/forum/33-wow-moments/

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I think I hear them as well as they hear each other.  You mean when the music is jamming?  I function equally to my friends.  I probably am using lipreading skills in that situation to help.

I can’t recall which Roger equipment you have.  That would definitely help hearing friends in such a crazy loud environment.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie I agree with your audiologist - I rarely use my remote, I try to adjust to the situation.  Noisy restaurants are my primary reason for using the remote.

I never use my treble and base settings I sometimes reduce the volume. . 

I also think that even if one could afford the equipment to do mapping the average person would do more harm than good. There are just too many variables to cope with unless you have extensive training. A CI is not a hearing aid.. There's only one way to go, practice, practice  and more practice your brain will eventually figure it out. 

Keep on trying, it may take a year but it will work in the end. 

Peter 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with Peter @pdk.  My CI MAPpings are best left to my awesome audiologist!

• HearPeers Heroes
3 hours ago, pdk said:

I also think that even if one could afford the equipment to do mapping the average person would do more harm than good. There are just too many variables to cope with unless you have extensive training. A CI is not a hearing aid.. There's only one way to go, practice, practice  and more practice your brain will eventually figure it out. 

Peter 

This, exactly.  The software that's used to map a CI is complex.  There's a reason why CI audiologists are PhDs.

• HearPeers Heroes
4 hours ago, pdk said:

Keep on trying, it may take a year but it will work in the end. 

Peter 

I had no idea that the fine tuner has base and treble settings. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

It doesn’t.  Peter does not have a Med-El processor.

The FineTuner has settings for:

volume

sensitivity

programs 1-4

M, MT or T

left, bilateral or right

and reset.

The FineTuner Echo has a few different options as well as the above.

On 9/6/2019 at 3:34 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Neil

I am sorry you are disappointed in your CI journey so far.  Which processor do you use?   

It’s been less than one year right? 

It has been nearly 2 years

Sonnett EAS Me1320

On 9/6/2019 at 10:29 PM, Kylie said:

My audiologist said an interesting thing to me at my last visit that seemed counter intuitive at first. (I'm 4 months in). She said try not to use the controls unless really desperate -

About 1/2 the time I wear it I do not use any controls at all....I only use controls in a conference room or restaurant...

Well as most of you have said above, each journey is unique, there is no way to compare one another.

In my case, my Hearing Aid was useless a month after using my CI in my other ear.

In regards to changing programming, well I use three programs: the everyday program, the noise program and the phone program. I generally use the everyday program all the time. In noisy situations I have to change it: English is not my first language which makes it harder still.

A great article on equalizers, there's nothing to stop you putting on head phones and changing audio settings. 

I have tried my treble control and cannot hear the difference between plus and minus six, the full range I have. 

I also echo, everyone has their own journey. I'm sure Neil if you compare your start with the result now there is an improvement. 

My friend fanie waited 5 years before going to his first concert. For me it took 3 months before a bird sounded like a bird. After 6 months the tones  around 300-600 hz changed from a buzzy sound to a nice tone. It took the audiologist to point it out to me, I had always noted it in my previous mappings. In my first few weeks I listened to audio books for at least two hours a day. Try setting up text to speech on your phone it will help tremendously.  So hang in there and train as much as you can. 

Peter 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Neil

Are you considering using the new AudioLink or the Roger Select to help in noise at a restaurant or conference?

You may find it very helpful.

• HearPeers Heroes
18 hours ago, Daniel the Stranger said:

Well as most of you have said above, each journey is unique, there is no way to compare one another.

In my case, my Hearing Aid was useless a month after using my CI in my other ear.

In regards to changing programming, well I use three programs: the everyday program, the noise program and the phone program. I generally use the everyday program all the time. In noisy situations I have to change it: English is not my first language which makes it harder still.

Hey @Daniel the Stranger nice to see you.  Or your cat, anyway.  🙂  I stopped using my hearing aid within a month of my first activation too.  It was amazing, really, what used to be my primary way to hear was suddenly just a minor nuisance.

• Like 2

Sorry Neil you are not happy with your implant. I am the opposite just amazed with what I can hear 3 months post. I rarely change the settings. I hear so well in restaurants now it's odd to see my husband struggle in a noisy room lol.  I too do not wear my right hearing aid now as I find it useless compare to my implanted left ear....

• Like 2

Thank you the two Mary's lol  Yes I am delighted with my progress so far.   It's been an exciting time....

• Like 2